Welcome, Guest
February 23, 2019, 11:52:13 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pardon me...  (Read 8040 times)

CuriousOne

• Fir
  • Sing like no one's listening.
Pardon me...
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »

My interest in Wicca has grown more from a growing sense of being utterly uncomfortable with church and structured religion, like Christianity. I was born and raised in the South (known as the Bible Belt). There exists a church on every street corner and people (like me) who see no need to attend church are viewed as paganistic (in a derogatory sense) whether we practice Wicca or any other religion. I have no idea if wicca is for me. That's why I'm here... to explore the possibilities. I am extremely interested in how to embrace an entirely different culture without feeling like I should stab someone's eyes out with a hot fork for saying Merry Christmas to me. (I am not taking a stab at anyone's religion, only trying to find something that feels more natural for me.)

I have a Pentecostal grandmother and more friends, family and co-workers who drop scripture from the bible into everything they say. It is very difficult to feel the need to gravitate away from Christianity, when I am surrounded by it and nearly force-fed with it. I assume the coat of Christian because it is a social norm here. It's like peer pressure, and the most asked question is, "Where do you go to church?" I answer... "I don't" as simply as I can. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to have any beliefs pushed on me unwanted, either.

I know I can find a happy medium. I understand that I have to take what my grandmother and others say "with a grain of salt..." I don't know where I stand, yet, because I am still walking the path of discovery.
-The best place to begin is at the beginning-

CuriousOne

• Fir
Re: Pardon me...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »

well, I feel better having gotten that elephant off my chest... but I realize i have posted in the wrong section. My apologies.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »

If Wicca isn't for you, might I suggest The Almighty Church of Foamy??  Our Lord and Master, Foamy, tells it like it is.  He's very straight-forward, and doesn't sugar-coat anything.  All that he asks is that you worship him or else suffer his Squirrelly Wrath.

Another Church worth checking out, is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  I have several friends who have been touched by His noodly appendage, and they all say that it is much better than regular Church.

Or, if Church of any kind isn't your thing, you can also do what my good buddy Chris did, and just worship the Giant Turnip at the center of the universe.
"Here, but now I'm gone."

CuriousOne

• Fir
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »

I have tried the turnip thing... I couldn't stomach the smell, although I am certainly elated that the roots haven't blistered those that choose to continue. (positive thoughts, always. thank you very much).

Excuse me... I think my toe just fell off...

MissTree

• Hawthorn
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »

I think I'm gonna like you, CuriousOne!  8)  :-p

Nura

• Oak
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »

LOL.. I live in the south, and I was raised with my grandparents who hate anyone who is not white,christian and heterosexual. They are the main reason I am looking into other religions. I do not want to be part of a religion that is so intolerant. Wicca really appeals to me. Though I am not Wiccan, just researching.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:39:24 AM by Nura »

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »

Are you sure it's the "religion" and NOT your grandparents?
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Nura

• Oak
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:59:04 PM »

Yep positive. I know my post might have seemed like I was just talking about them, but I have been going to church with them for years. Now I am only familiar with "Southern Christianity", It might be that.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:01:12 PM by Nura »

CuriousOne

• Fir
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:56:02 PM »

I know what you mean, Nura. It is hot and heavy around here. If you don't attend church, you're a sinner with a capital SIN. Even breathing is a sin. Ugh. That's neither here nor there. My grandmother deserves respect because she is my elder. I just hate to have to hear the lectures.... and I have no idea how to tell her to stop without really offending her. I honestly don't think there is a way to do that.

Just smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave.  :-p

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »

I know what you mean, Nura. It is hot and heavy around here. If you don't attend church, you're a sinner with a capital SIN. Even breathing is a sin. Ugh. That's neither here nor there. My grandmother deserves respect because she is my elder. I just hate to have to hear the lectures.... and I have no idea how to tell her to stop without really offending her. I honestly don't think there is a way to do that.

Just smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave.  :-p

Whack her upside the head with a large, foam #1  hand that says "Foamy Rules", while chanting "The Power of Foamy compells you!!!  The Power of Foamy compells you!!!  The Power of Foamy compells you!!!  STUPIDITY BE GONE!!!"

CuriousOne

• Fir
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »

Whack her upside the head with a large, foam #1  hand that says "Foamy Rules", while chanting "The Power of Foamy compells you!!!  The Power of Foamy compells you!!!  The Power of Foamy compells you!!!  STUPIDITY BE GONE!!!"

Fantastic advice! Well... maybe.

I can't help thinking of being held down and annointed with oil while being smacked in the forehead... religious nightmares.  :-\

CuriousOne

• Fir
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »

I would just ask the grandmother what she's so afraid of and/or what she thinks her belief is fending off.

I have heard my grandmother remark on how she is not proud of some things in her past (who doesn't have this issue?)... but I think she is trying to redeem herself somehow, and her devout belief is her way of "repenting her sins", so to speak.

aloe

• Cypress
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 08:24:34 PM »

My interest in Wicca has grown more from a growing sense of being utterly uncomfortable with church and structured religion, like Christianity. I was born and raised in the South (known as the Bible Belt). There exists a church on every street corner and people (like me) who see no need to attend church are viewed as paganistic (in a derogatory sense) whether we practice Wicca or any other religion. I have no idea if wicca is for me. That's why I'm here... to explore the possibilities. I am extremely interested in how to embrace an entirely different culture without feeling like I should stab someone's eyes out with a hot fork for saying Merry Christmas to me. (I am not taking a stab at anyone's religion, only trying to find something that feels more natural for me.)

I have a Pentecostal grandmother and more friends, family and co-workers who drop scripture from the bible into everything they say. It is very difficult to feel the need to gravitate away from Christianity, when I am surrounded by it and nearly force-fed with it. I assume the coat of Christian because it is a social norm here. It's like peer pressure, and the most asked question is, "Where do you go to church?" I answer... "I don't" as simply as I can. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to have any beliefs pushed on me unwanted, either.

I know I can find a happy medium. I understand that I have to take what my grandmother and others say "with a grain of salt..." I don't know where I stand, yet, because I am still walking the path of discovery.

I was raised in a fundamentalist Pentecostal family, and I went through a phase of serious hatred towards Christianity because of some of the things the Pentecostals did to me.  They performed exorcisms on me when I was 9 years old because I wanted to deviate from their dress standards and skip a couple of church services.  I live in the Bible Belt too. lol

I don't know if its this way for everyone, but I think the time my anger was helpful in 'getting over' some of it.  I don't know what your experiences have been with the Pentecostals, but if they're anything like my family you probably haven't had an easy time.  Just remember that not all Christians are as pushy and quick to relegate everyone who's not like them into hell as most Pentecostals are. 

I'm curious, were you raised in a Pentecostal environment, or just exposed to it from extended relatives?  Just wondering because the Pentecostal doctrines are extremely fear-based and for me it was really important to recognize that fact as I explored other options.  Sometimes I found myself drawn to other non-heathly (IMO) fear-based paths simply because they felt familiar.

I'm not Wiccan either, there's not really a label that fits me other than pagan, but even that is a little off because I do love the story of Jesus, but don't believe that the Bible is 100% accurate or even all 'good'.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:26:12 PM by aloe »

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »

I have heard my grandmother remark on how she is not proud of some things in her past (who doesn't have this issue?)... but I think she is trying to redeem herself somehow, and her devout belief is her way of "repenting her sins", so to speak.

"I had a sordid past..how do you think I got this scar??"  "Grandma, we thought you were kicked by a Clydesdale..."  "No...this is the mark of the whore!!!"   ;D

MissTree

• Hawthorn
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »

I was raised in a fundamentalist Pentecostal family, and I went through a phase of serious hatred towards Christianity because of some of the things the Pentecostals did to me. They performed exorcisms on me when I was 9 years old because I wanted to deviate from their dress standards and skip a couple of church services.  I live in the Bible Belt too. lol

I don't know if its this way for everyone, but I think the time my anger was helpful in 'getting over' some of it.  I don't know what your experiences have been with the Pentecostals, but if they're anything like my family you probably haven't had an easy time.  Just remember that not all Christians are as pushy and quick to relegate everyone who's not like them into hell as most Pentecostals are.  

I'm curious, were you raised in a Pentecostal environment, or just exposed to it from extended relatives?  Just wondering because the Pentecostal doctrines are extremely fear-based and for me it was really important to recognize that fact as I explored other options.  Sometimes I found myself drawn to other non-heathly (IMO) fear-based paths simply because they felt familiar.

I'm not Wiccan either, there's not really a label that fits me other than pagan, but even that is a little off because I do love the story of Jesus, but don't believe that the Bible is 100% accurate or even all 'good'.

The more I read of other people's experiences, the more it saddens me to see that this was a much more popular practice than I originally thought. For the longest time, I thought it was just our church that did this crazy shit.
 I really wish the people who practiced this could see the damage their actions caused!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up