Welcome, Guest
March 20, 2019, 02:59:40 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How you learn?  (Read 9735 times)

Aliya

How you learn?
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:23:32 AM »

Hi everybody! My name is Aliya. I am new to this forum and to Wicca so i happen to have a few questions. The most important one is that there is no spiritual community in my area that i could trust and i am afraid of causing a damage by practicing things i've learn on the web sites by my own. How is it possible to find somebody who would be able to guide me? These things you cant google :)

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
Re: How you learn?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:39 AM »

www.witchvox.com can be a valuable resource.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

ejfinch

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:30:51 AM »

Reading quality books and trusting your instinct are the most valuable ways to learn. Beware of anything you read on the internet, unless you KNOW it is a reputable source. If you have not instinct of your own, about such thing, leave them alone.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:16 AM »

These things you cant google :)

Of course you can.  But as EbS and ejf have said, there are good sites AND good BOOKS.  Look at the stickies on this forum....books GALORE, (WITH reviews!).

Take your time.  This isn't something that will happen in a day or two...
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Hjolmaer

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »

And then, of course, EJ's point about trusting your instincts.

If you open yourself to it, your own intuition can do wonders for you.

ejfinch

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

And then, of course, EJ's point about trusting your instincts.

If you open yourself to it, your own intuition can do wonders for you.

Sometimes, your gut is all you have to go on, especially when you are a solitary and on a Traditional path. You'd be surprised at how far it can get you if, like H said, you listen to it. I've done strange things, just because it "felt" right, only to find out, later, that other Traditional Witches do the very same thing......if you are listening, you will get your answers.....eventually.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »

A little common sense goes a long way.

I've noticed that common sense and gut instinct go together quite nicely.

Both being geared, on one level or another, toward your own preservation/comfort, among other things.

Aliya

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:57:45 AM »

Thank you very much :) Will keep on looking and listening to myself

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »

Hi everybody! My name is Aliya. I am new to this forum and to Wicca so i happen to have a few questions. The most important one is that there is no spiritual community in my area that i could trust and i am afraid of causing a damage by practicing things i've learn on the web sites by my own. How is it possible to find somebody who would be able to guide me? These things you cant google :)

How exactly do you feel you would cause damage by practicing things you've learned on the web?   Trial and error is the greatest teacher you will ever come across.

Like others have said above - trust your instincts.  If something sounds absolutely absurd - then don't do it :P This includes any of the traditional Wiccan paths.  Wicca may not be the right path for yourself but it does not mean you can't learn a lot of valuable tid bits from it.   Many people on these forums considered themselves Wiccan at one point or another but for one reason or another - they drifted away from the religion.  Doesn't mean they don't practice some of the same aspects that we do - just that they got everything they could from the religion and moved on by listening to their inner voice.

Just read - read everything you possibly can.  Even if it's not based around pagan beliefs.  All the religions in the world are all the same when you break them down to their raw form.   Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt regardless of the religion - Including Wicca.

if that makes any sense.  it makes sense in my drunken state of mind ^_^

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:47:53 AM »

Yep, really do need to ask that...just what kind of damage do you think you can do?

ejfinch

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 03:39:10 AM »

I felt it important to point out that there are a great many things that should not be "messed with" without knowledge. Even a simple spell can backfire if a person is inexperienced or reckless. I've done it myself-with potentially devastating results. Yes, I learned a valuable lesson, however, I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, you have to practice to learn, but you also should be very careful about where you are getting information. I, also, don't particularly, agree with doing workings crafted by someone else. If nothing else, the working will be lacking, simply because you have not created it yourself, with your own intent. Just my opinion.

Aliya

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 05:01:53 AM »

Thank you all again :) Yes, i know that there are some things i shouldnt mess with right now and every ritual means that you let your guard down for awhile, if you dont protect yourself in a proper way nothing good will come from it. Its hard enough to tell if you're doing everything right from what you read. I agree though, the best lesson is the practice.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »

Thank you all again :) Yes, i know that there are some things i shouldnt mess with right now and every ritual means that you let your guard down for awhile, if you dont protect yourself in a proper way nothing good will come from it. Its hard enough to tell if you're doing everything right from what you read. I agree though, the best lesson is the practice.

Honey, it ain't all that serious...  I mean unless you think you're calling up demons or something.  Chill, let it flow, relax....

I wrote this, god years ago, I still think it holds true!

Be Like Nike?. JUST DO IT!!

I have found in my personal path, from asking other followers of both the Pagan and Wiccan path, and from living amongst family in the Native American path that there is one thing that stands out above all!!

It has to work for you!

Following this path is an adventure in learning and understanding! The Goddess is a giving and loving mother who demands our respect and homage, but accepts our initial bumbling attempts with the love of a mother with an infant.

She understands the desire to do what "others" have written as "THE WAY" and our mistakes or over compensation in attempting perfection. Through all of this she still loves and nurtures us.

I remember once searching the earth it seemed for black candles. Finally I colored a dark green one with a permanent black marker. I achieved the needed results and have now learned that perfection is a trait of the deities, not the human race.

No matter what position we may hold, Shaman, High Priest, etc.... we cannot achieve the perfection of the Goddess in her perfect and unconditional love for us.

So do not worry if everything is not according to whomever's book.  The Goddess does not love them more because they are published. Keep permanent markers and white candles on hand.... HA HA But most of all, enjoy, feel the love, and accept the calling of this sacred path.

Remember.....

True faith comes from the sincere worship and community with the God and or the Goddess. Being "certified" on the Path or of the "Craft" requires study and the practice of many things over a period of time. While I agree that witchraft, the craft alone, is not a religion, it is not just a practice either. It is a way of life. A choice of Paths and futures. A Path of true unconditional love, honor and respect, for both mankind and the world around you. While I consider myself a witch, a worshipper of the Old Ones and a follower of their teachings, I am no different from the pious christian who follows that Path as seriously as I follow mine.  We are both servants to our deity (or deities in my case) and striving to be worthy of their unconditional love. To live a life that shows our beliefs and glorifies our deities through our words and actions.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Aliya

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:05 AM »

True, but we are not talking about basic meditation only. Working with energy is a serious thing, and astral travelling? I believe that people who practice these technics, even not pagan ones, see something serious and material enough in this path, not just some fancy way to entertain themselves

Amythestorm

• Ash
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:48 AM »

Very well said Doom Monkey!

I know from my own personal experience that once I stopped trying to be 'perfect' with everything I did and do it 'right', by whomever's standards (usually my mother's ::)) and went with what felt 'right' to me, my life became much easier to live. I'm much happier and more fulfilled even when I screw up.

Relax, Aliya, it comes with time and it will all be okay in the end. ;)
"This too shall pass"
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "OH @#$%, SHE'S UP"!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up