Welcome, Guest
October 19, 2019, 05:26:17 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elemental Correspondences  (Read 2922 times)

timetimetime

• Oak
  • They all do. They all want cake.
Elemental Correspondences
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »

(by which I refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element)

Do you have a personal set of correspondences or is it based on someone else's? Do you keep everything constant?

Mine:

I use the same ones as my aunt and uncle, although they also seem to be the ones that make the most sense to me. And I do keep them constant.

Air:
North
Sylph
Sword

Earth:
South
Gnome
Pentacle

Fire:
East
Salamander
Wand

Water:
West
Undine
Chalice
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
Moreover, I advise that Carthage should be destroyed.

Hjolmaer

Re: Elemental Correspondences
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »

East:
Air (Sylph)
Censer

South:
Fire (Salamander)
Athame/Sword/Candle

West:
Water (Undine)
Cauldron/Chalice

North:
Earth (Gnome)
Pentacle/Salt

Lenadi

• Willow
  • Principles are mutable
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »

Mine is the same as Hjolmaer. I've never seen someone have it the same way as yours, time. Though i find it intriguing that in every set of elemental directions I have ever seen, Water is always to the west
"I have always understood, even if you have not, that we have been playing a game, Your Majesty. Do you take my son, we cease the games, and I become your enemy." Melisande Shahrizai de la Courcel

"Policies have to be mutable. You can't plan for everything."

Hjolmaer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:30:32 AM »

Mine is the same as Hjolmaer. I've never seen someone have it the same way as yours, time. Though i find it intriguing that in every set of elemental directions I have ever seen, Water is always to the west

That is rather curious.  I guess I've just never quite realized it.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm going to have to look into that.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »

Hjolmaer's example is the traditional Wiccan correspondence.  ttt's seems to be more Mediterranean...as seen in Tarot, (tarocchi)...Swords, (spades, i spadi)-Pentacles, (coins or diamonds, Denari)-Cauldrons, (cups or hearts, coppe)-and Wands, (Clubs, bastoni).

How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

timetimetime

• Oak
  • They all do. They all want cake.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »

Water just always *was* to the west for me. I live by the Pacific. It is an interesting thing, though.

Fire is in the East in mine because of the sun rising there.

Now for Air and Earth... I think of North-South-East-West as Up-Down-Right-Left in my head no matter what I do. So "North = Up = Sky = Air" came naturally, and "South = Down = Soil = Earth" came with it.

Hjolmaer's example is the traditional Wiccan correspondence.  ttt's seems to be more Mediterranean...as seen in Tarot, (tarocchi)...Swords, (spades, i spadi)-Pentacles, (coins or diamonds, Denari)-Cauldrons, (cups or hearts, coppe)-and Wands, (Clubs, bastoni).
Yup.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
Moreover, I advise that Carthage should be destroyed.

Lenadi

• Willow
  • Principles are mutable
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:16:24 AM »

Funny, I always thought of water as west and air as east (back when I'd just found out about magic, before looking into wicca) but for me, the oceans in the east and the mountains to the west.

ANother interesting thing I found: European witches hold that smoke helps in the banishing of evil spirits. Strangely, so do the Aboriginal people of Australia, and the Maori of New Zealand. And they were doing it looooooong before they met europeans
"I have always understood, even if you have not, that we have been playing a game, Your Majesty. Do you take my son, we cease the games, and I become your enemy." Melisande Shahrizai de la Courcel

"Policies have to be mutable. You can't plan for everything."

FireWillow

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »

Mine directional and seasonal correspondences are listed here: http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=148.0

My correspondences for the elementals and the working tools are the same as t3's in the OP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up