Welcome, Guest
August 25, 2019, 04:15:30 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rede  (Read 16438 times)

dark magus

• Apple
The Rede
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
Re: The Rede
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »

I like that.  "Do what you will, for the greatest good." (And let whatever Gods and Goddesses you worship define what is "good" and what isn't.)
Trump is still your President.

Amythestorm

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:36:09 AM »

This makes so much more sense to me. I usually end my spells with "do no physical harm" because I feel to most people that is worse then any other harm and I certainly don't want my actions to cuz physical harm to someone. Not that I enjoy cuzing mental harm, but I do feel that people learn from mental anguish and hopefully make necessary changes to avoid that mental harm in the future.
However, "the greater good" is imo a much better way of approaching it.
So thank you DM for posting that article, it's given me an option I had been struggling to find.
"This too shall pass"
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "OH @#$%, SHE'S UP"!

Hjolmaer

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »

An interesting take on tying the Rede in with spell-work.

At what point, would you say, is it acceptable to leave off the "harm none" or "greatest good" in a spell?  At what point would a spell be essentially nullified by this?

Is there such a case?

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:22:44 AM »

An interesting take on tying the Rede in with spell-work.

At what point, would you say, is it acceptable to leave off the "harm none" or "greatest good" in a spell?  At what point would a spell be essentially nullified by this?

Is there such a case?

Mess with my children or family and all bets are off.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Amythestorm

• Ash
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:25:29 AM »

IMO, it's only 'acceptable' to the individual if they are willing to accept whatever comes of their spell, harmful or not to themselves, others.

I think her example of the job was a great example of how it nullifies the purpose of the spell to begin with. In that particular situation you can't get the job without it cuzing harm to someone on some level. You getting the job means that someone else did not, which is harmful to that person in some respect.
"This too shall pass"
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "OH @#$%, SHE'S UP"!

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

Is there such a case?

Everyone is going to think about this.  Some really hard, others less-so. 

There IS NO POINT at which you "leave off" the "harm none".  It is NEVER "nullified".

Now, think AGAIN.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

There IS NO POINT at which you "leave off" the "harm none".  It is NEVER "nullified".

Now, think AGAIN.

It may not be nullified, but in situations where I am protecting my family it is certainly, for me, justified.  I'll carry the smut if it keeps my family safe.

Then again, I'm not wiccan so maybe that only applies to y'all  ;D
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »

So, is it a question of viewing it using a mirror?  A lens?  A prism? One-way glass?

If so, how far must one stand from the issue to obtain the "proper" perspective?

DOES "justify" negate the "harm"?  Dilute it?  To what extent?  Especially the long-hackneyed "me and mine" discussion...Are we talking microbes?  Lions and hyeanas?  A home-invasion?  Hitler, Mao, or Hussein?  After all....who ARE "YOU and YOURS"?

As well....are we talking about pulling a trigger?  Swallowing a pill?  Joining a politcal party / cause?  Ringing a bell?  Casting a circle?  Performing an exorcism?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:15:44 AM by C_A »
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »

So, is it a question of viewing it using a mirror?  A lens?  A prism? One-way glass?

If so, how far must one stand from the issue to obtain the "proper" perspective?

OK HUH?  Viewing what?  What may or may not happen?  Who determines what is and what is not proper??

DOES "justify" negate the "harm"?  Dilute it?  To what extent?  Especially the long-hackneyed "me and mine" discussion...Are we talking microbes?  Lions and hyeanas?  A home-invasion?  Hitler, Mao, or Hussein?  After all....who ARE "YOU and YOURS"?

My children, my sisters, their spouses and their children.  Anything that means them harm

As well....are we talking about pulling a trigger?  Swallowing a pill?  Joining a politcal party / cause?  Ringing a bell?  Casting a circle?  Performing an exorcism?

I thought it was about including the "and it harm none" within the wording of a spell.  However, for me, and I have no doubts on this.  It is whatever I need to do to protect my family.  With or without witchcraft.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »

Are you sure?

If I, for example, am actively trying to bring about the death of another (extreme case), then I would have to say that including "harm none" would be a bit counter-productive, yes?

The spell in this case has a specific goal of causing harm.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

Now, think AGAIN.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to completely disagree with C_A on this.

And agree with this--

From Hjolmaer--

Are you sure?

If I, for example, am actively trying to bring about the death of another (extreme case), then I would have to say that including "harm none" would be a bit counter-productive, yes?

The spell in this case has a specific goal of causing harm.

But, then again, I don't claim to be a full-on Wiccan, either...

aloe

• Cypress
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »

I'm not Wiccan.  If someone threatened to hurt my little one I'd curse the hell out of them and accept the consequences.  There would definitely be no "harm none" clause because harming would be my exact intention.

thehallwayceiling

• Oak
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

I just don't see the point in this argument. If you look at the wording of The Rede, it never commands you to "do no harm". It's a statement, not a command. The Rede simply condones any willful activity that causes no harm. It does not mention what to do, or not to do, when harm is unavoidable. I see that as having my own free will, and being responsible for my own actions.

I dislike it very much when The Rede is shortened to Harm None. We are not doctors.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why one earth should that mean it is not real?" Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:47 PM »

I just don't see the point in this argument. If you look at the wording of The Rede, it never commands you to "do no harm". It's a statement, not a command. The Rede simply condones any willful activity that causes no harm. It does not mention what to do, or not to do, when harm is unavoidable. I see that as having my own free will, and being responsible for my own actions.

I dislike it very much when The Rede is shortened to Harm None. We are not doctors.

Unfortunately, there are those who take the Rede a little too literally, just like there are those who take the Bible a little to literally.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up