Welcome, Guest
July 17, 2019, 02:07:52 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Christianity Collapses, I Realize I'm . . . What?  (Read 5332 times)

pencils

• Willow
Re: My Christianity Collapses, I Realize I'm . . . What?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »

Anybody else think of John Kramer when reading this??

I had to Google that - ewww.  No danger of that here.  I can't do gore.  I can't even kill my egg-eating chicken.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »

I don't even know who that is...*blink blink*

"Jigsaw", Shaara...from the "Saw" movies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJi7esNPHo&feature=fvw
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:45:07 PM by Snake-Man »
Trump is still your President.

Rhea Li

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »

"Jigsaw", Shaara...from the "Saw" movies...
I only have seen the first Saw movie and I only remember bits and pieces. I have no desire to watch it again or to even see the sequels.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »

I only have seen the first Saw movie and I only remember bits and pieces. I have no desire to watch it again or to even see the sequels.

Chicken...

I love watching them just to see what kind of traps they design.

There is so much more information and backstory revealed as the series progresses.  You really have to watch all the films in order to understand everything.  But, if you don't wish to watch any more of them, you can read all the info about it here--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kramer

Rhea Li

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »

Chicken...

I love watching them just to see what kind of traps they design.

There is so much more information and backstory revealed as the series progresses.  You really have to watch all the films in order to understand everything.  But, if you don't wish to watch any more of them, you can read all the info about it here--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kramer

Yes, I am chicken. Do you know how realistic my night terrors are that are caused by movies like that? :-X

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »

Yes, I am chicken. Do you know how realistic my night terrors are that are caused by movies like that? :-X

I can.....I HATE "thrillers"!!  I'll watch a movie like that & my thought process goes like this:

"That would NEVER happen!!"
2 seconds later:
"But what if it did?  How would I get away?  How would I save my daughter?"

Then I can't sleep the entire night!

It happened after watching Zombieland (which was filmed at the theme park here that I've been to numerous times before & since), and The Happening and I saw THAT on USA....

I've never seen Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, Jason, etc. or had any desire to see them.  Apparently I watched Amityville Horror when I was very young & it made me terrified of storms to this day.  I can handle rain, wind, thunder (hurricanes even...I grew up in Florida), but you throw in lightning & I avoid windows & hide.  I've eased a little b/c I don't want my daughter to have the same complex as me, but still....give me a break, Zeus!!  And I tell him EVERYTIME he starts with those lightning bolts!!  LOL
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Rhea Li

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »

I love thrillers. I just don't like the nightmares that come with them. >_<

Hjolmaer

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »

Pencils:

So you like the structured rituals, but dislike a complex theology?

Something you might keep in mind (assuming you settle on a path) is to leave room on your path for it to grow and evolve.

A member of my coven started out as pure, hard-core Wiccan.  She's since moved through that, incorporated, disseminated, and mostly moved away from Shamanism as well, and is currently looking into other things now, as well.

Her path is anything but simple, to the outside observer.  But to her, it makes perfect sense.

Just keep an open mind, eh?

And you can always PM Doom Monkey if she's unwilling to tempt you to evil publicly.

As for the complexity of Wiccan theology, it really depends on who you ask.  There are three basic views to Wiccan theology.

God/Goddess as archetype/label/etc

God/Goddess as singular entities from whence other gods are "born"

And God/Goddess as singular entities drawn from a given pantheon (such as Cernunnos/Danu, for example).

Check into all three, see if one resonates with you.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »

Maybe I enjoy things that are sick and twisted so much, because I myself, AM sick and twisted...  *shrug*

Pencils--H has a lot of good points.

pencils

• Willow
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »

Pencils:

So you like the structured rituals, but dislike a complex theology?

Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth about complex theology.  Irrational or not, I feel misled to some extent.

I have no real objection to rituals, so long as they aren't part of a "do as I say or you are not worthy" type philosophy.

An example: I skipped my undergrad graduation ceremony, but had a "ceremonial" dessert at the hour my class graduated to honor the achievement.  I repeat this ritual every year, on the hour or near to it.  I do lots of things like that.

So I kind of like rituals, but my natural inclination is to make them my own and do them privately.  That's probably more my own neurosis than spirituality, but it is my way.

The neopagan rituals I've come across seem strange still, but also oddly comfortable.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »

Then I say roll with it.  Use Wicca as, if nothing else, a stepping stone.

Study the path, and see where it leads you.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »

And take your time!  Give yourself time to soak everything in and organize it.  Keep a journal.  Make notes about what you like and what you don't.  See where it leads you.  Be open to suggestions and I don't mean by people.  Work on trusting your intuition and your subconscious.

And welcome to the boards.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »

I've always understood that as a religion, Wicca is a non "fire & brimstone" religion.  YOU are held accountable for your actions.  In that sense, not a strict religion.

However, you DO have to abide by the Rede...consider it a moral compass.  Do you have rules where you work?  What happens if you break one?  You ALWAYS have the choice to follow the rules or not, but you also have to be prepared to deal with the consequences/fallout if you break the rules.  Same with Wicca & many Pagan traditions I've seen.

I would ask that if you don't want strict rules & regulations, what do you do to cope with work or society?  No matter what religion you choose, there will ALWAYS be a code of ethics/morals/rules to follow.  Even atheists have a set of rules....they believe there is nothing to believe in.

I hope that you choose Wicca, I've enjoyed my studies & consider it a nature religion, I will welcome you with open arms if you do.  But, I believe in free will & if you choose another path I will respect that decision.  The US is a country where freedom of religion means ANY religion.

Blessed Be
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »

Welcome pencils.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:36 AM »

Welcome Pencils ;     One of the lovely things about Paganism is you can follow a path , or construct your own.In this it allows you to apply the amount of structure  you are comfortable with.Baby steps, after all it is about free will and walking YOUR path at your own pace. This way you are less likely to miss some of the interesting side trails along the way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up