Welcome, Guest
August 25, 2019, 04:38:31 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Threefold law: History?  (Read 4324 times)

Whisper

• Cypress
  • Debateable!
Threefold law: History?
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »

Now, I actually used the search bar and found nothing about this. The threefold law is mentioned all the time, as it should be since it's one of Wicca's core beliefs, however I noticed that every mention of it passes it by rather quickly, only going in as much detail as the law itself.

Now I know it's very possible I missed something somewhere that would answer this question, but can anyone tell me the history of the threefold law? Was it created by the Divine itself? Or was it maybe one grand spell to help end the witch burnings of the crusades?

It got me thinking, if this was a spell, how many witches would it have taken to make it so powerful and last so long? You would think, with today's technology, such a feat would be infinitely easier to coordinate. But I digress.

Someone please point me in the right direction. My imagination is getting the better of me. =P Thank you.
I was gonna participate in the Clairvoyants' meeting, but it was cancelled due to unforseen events.

Passer Urbanus

• Hawthorn
  • God Bless America
Re: Threefold law: History?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »

You?re actually not too far off, my friend.

You see, the threefold law is a spell and it was created by the Divine.  It?s actually a spell cast by the Divine itself!*

During the height of the Burning Times, the Witches of Pseudologoi, a powerful sect of Wiccans based in southeastern Europe, prayed night after night for the gods to intervene.  
They had heard of the many stories of the greatest of mankind being burned alive for being Wiccans, both in Europe and her colonies, and had seen the many murders taking place around them.  
They could take it no longer.  So they turned to the Source itself, hoping for divine intervention to spare the lives of their sisters.  
Night after night, they prayed.  And no response was given.

One night, during their prayers, they were spotted by the Spanish Inquisition?s soldiers.  They were rounded up and burned at the stake.  
With their final breath, the Witches of Pseudologoi let out their cries, begging the gods for their aid.

The gods heard their cries.  In the great heavens above, the Divine gathered all of the spirits of the Wiccans that had been killed during the Burning Times.
 The transformed their souls into pure energy and used this energy to cast their spell.  Like a fisherman throwing his net into the sea,
the Divine covered the earth with this energy and charged it with reflective properties.  For every evil deed done, the energy would reflect the vileness of the evil deed back upon the person threefold.  
As you can imagine, the Spanish Inquisition didn?t last long beneath this spell?s gaze.  Their evil acts eventually led to their undoing.  For every Wiccan killed, another crack in the armor of the Spanish Inquisition was created.  The few remaining soldiers of the Spanish Inquisition, understanding what had happened, found the ashes of the
 Witches of Pseudologoi and buried them in the island of Iona, a small island in the middle of a Spanish lake.  Even though they had done so much harm, they had wanted their final act to be good.

Afterwards, the Divine retreated back into the Heavens, leaving the threefold law in place as a reminder to all of mankind: Never again the Burning Times!

*Disclaimer: This version of history may or may not contain any truth.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:34:50 AM by C_A »
"Every post is honorable in which a man can serve his country." -George Washington

Whisper

• Cypress
  • Debateable!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »

A fascinating tale, and better if it were true. But I wonder how much of that spell was directed towards non-witches. Stories of the dark ages hint that black magic was not as looked down upon as it is today. Perhaps because it wasn't punishable by the Divine back then. I would imagine that black magic played a large role in attracting negative attention to witches, e.g. the Burning Times.

In fact, I don't think I would be wrong in speculating that the Burning Times itself came about as a result of the threefold law. Imagine, witches of all kinds roaming the planet freely, doing what they wished simply because they could. There may have been rift between witches with an active conscience and witches without, and the witches of "good" may have been the ones to pray for Divine intervention, and got more than was bargained for. One shan't forget that the Goddess is not neccessarily "good" or "evil". Balance is what she strives for.

These are just my thoughts, you're welcome to reject them, but whatever you do, please continue. I like an engaging conversation. =]
I was gonna participate in the Clairvoyants' meeting, but it was cancelled due to unforseen events.

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »

Thank you :) Whisper, you gave me a sliver toward better understanding. An active conscience (haha my spelling right or wrong...) Vs an inactive or unresponsive one does seem to be the very rift between those that 'have' vs those that 'have not'.

As Wicca predates Christianity, it still seems to me, and I apologize for my thick headedness, that Christianity leads one into the depths of Wicca. Am I completely mistaken?

FireWillow

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »

You?re actually not too far off, my friend.

You see, the threefold law is a spell and it was created by the Divine.  It?s actually a spell cast by the Divine itself!*

During the height of the Burning Times, the Witches of Pseudologoi, a powerful sect of Wiccans based in southeastern Europe, prayed night after night for the gods to intervene.  They had heard of the many stories of the greatest of mankind being burned alive for being Wiccans, both in Europe and her colonies, and had seen the many murders taking place around them.  They could take it no longer.  So they turned to the Source itself, hoping for divine intervention to spare the lives of their sisters.  Night after night, they prayed.  And no response was given.

One night, during their prayers, they were spotted by the Spanish Inquisition?s soldiers.  They were rounded up and burned at the stake.  With their final breath, the Witches of Pseudologoi let out their cries, begging the gods for their aid.

The gods heard their cries.  In the great heavens above, the Divine gathered all of the spirits of the Wiccans that had been killed during the Burning Times.  The transformed their souls into pure energy and used this energy to cast their spell.  Like a fisherman throwing his net into the sea, the Divine covered the earth with this energy and charged it with reflective properties.  For every evil deed done, the energy would reflect the vileness of the evil deed back upon the person threefold.   As you can imagine, the Spanish Inquisition didn?t last long beneath this spell?s gaze.  Their evil acts eventually led to their undoing.  For every Wiccan killed, another crack in the armor of the Spanish Inquisition was created.  The few remaining soldiers of the Spanish Inquisition, understanding what had happened, found the ashes of the Witches of Pseudologoi and buried them in the island of Iona, a small island in the middle of a Spanish lake.  Even though they had done so much harm, they had wanted their final act to be good.

Afterwards, the Divine retreated back into the Heavens, leaving the threefold law in place as a reminder to all of mankind: Never again the Burning Times!

*Disclaimer: This version of history may or may not contain any truth.

Copied and saved for future trolling (with your permission and credit, of course).

FireWillow

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »

Thank you :) Whisper, you gave me a sliver toward better understanding. An active conscience (haha my spelling right or wrong...) Vs an inactive or unresponsive one does seem to be the very rift between those that 'have' vs those that 'have not'.

As Wicca predates Christianity, it still seems to me, and I apologize for my thick headedness, that Christianity leads one into the depths of Wicca. Am I completely mistaken?

Even funnier! ROFL

Oh wait...were you serious?  :-\

FireWillow

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:09:52 AM »

The Threefold Law, or Law of Return was derived mainly from the Laws of Vipaka and Karma, and the Ethic of Reciprocity, as Wicca its has roots in both Hinduism and Christianity (among many other things).

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:46 AM »

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

breathe

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, you're serious?  OMG that's even funnier....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited and made smaller to give in to butthurt......

Happy now Lena?

Oh wait, you can't read.....

R  U  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:58:03 AM by Doom Monkey »
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »

Sorry for the random edits, folks...one of the posts had the threads blown out of the frames.

Blue Moon, you've been here long enough to know that Wicca does NOT, by more than a milennium, predate Christianity.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Whisper

• Cypress
  • Debateable!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:49 PM »

Huh. Anyway, Does anyone have anything else to share on the subject of threefold law regarding its history?

FireWillow

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 05:18:08 AM »

Huh. Anyway, Does anyone have anything else to share on the subject of threefold law regarding its history?

Are people not posting fast enough?  Or did you not get the answer you were looking for.

Specificity in your question might bring you more responses.  I offered an answer (apparently one that you weren't content with.  Care to rephrase the question?

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »

Sorry for the random edits, folks...one of the posts had the threads blown out of the frames.

Blue Moon, you've been here long enough to know that Wicca does NOT, by more than a milennium, predate Christianity.

Obviously I haven't been here long enough for those that have been here even longer to figure my dryness out.

There are labels and then there are flat out lies, I suppose. Some specifications will forever keep 'religion' the strongest devil of destruction.

Lena

• Ash
  • Persistence is too close to Obsession...
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 06:50:52 AM »

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

breathe

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, you're serious?  OMG that's even funnier....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When you finish laughing, may we have your take on the topic?

I surely know nothing of it, was lucky to read PU's post _after_ C_As' edit (btw, could you made it more small?) and am waiting for someone to answer to the OP..
"All people hide various of charachters within.. The question is how to summon one and avoid another." - Dr.Emil Kraepelin

Hjolmaer

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:07:20 AM »

I surely know nothing of it, was lucky to read PU's post _after_ C_As' edit (btw, could you made it more small?) and am waiting for someone to answer to the OP..

Scroll back up.  It's been answered:

The Threefold Law, or Law of Return was derived mainly from the Laws of Vipaka and Karma, and the Ethic of Reciprocity, as Wicca its has roots in both Hinduism and Christianity (among many other things).

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »

Then might I suggest you learn to read?

It has been answered, and quite well in fact.  My take is this, you're jumping to take up for you little friend before you bother to check anything else out.  Really quick to jump on me, yet making yourself look ignorant in your own post.

As for down time with this particular thread it was all of 3 minutes, if that.  Know how I know?  My server times everything I do by specific location. 

So maybe quit your bitchin and move on.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up