Welcome, Guest
May 22, 2019, 12:26:19 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salute, my friends.  (Read 3181 times)

Hjolmaer

Re: Salute, my friends.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »

*cough* you might want to spell that "Dualist" in the future.

A "duelist" is a person who fights in duels; i.e.: one-on-one combat.

Rovay

• Rowan
  • A true fight is never about violence.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »

*cough* you might want to spell that "Dualist" in the future.

A "duelist" is a person who fights in duels; i.e.: one-on-one combat.

Actually, I DID mean Duelist - as in one-to-one. I thought you misunderstood me and was asking me for Dualism. My bad.

But yes, I was a duelist, as in one-to-one. Hand-to-hand combat wasn't very appealing to me, but I had a real... gift... when it came to bladed weaponry. I trained fencing for a bit, then stopped, and started using the skills I got them, developing them, in order to benefit more than one weapon style. In result, I became quite efficient with two-handed swords, and pretty damn good in dual wield with sword/sword or sword/long knife combos. I trained on my own, on the very rooftop of my building, enhancing my own skills and developing on my own. In the end, it gave quite good results - thanks to that training, I can probably use successfully any type of melee weapon handed to me, even if I didn't use it often to train.

I may be considered a Sword-master, somewhat.

Does it answer your question?
I walk and stop with the earth.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »

I'd be careful about calling yourself a master swordsman.

Musashi was a master swordsman.  He was capable of winning duels with virutally any weapon.  But then, he was also tested against many other opponents, and not all of them humans wielding katana.

A master of the sword requires far more than skill with a blade.

I'm proficient with a sword, and can hold my own against most opponents.  I can do the same with most other melee weapons.  This does not make me a master.  It makes me proficient.

Rovay

• Rowan
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »

I think I have most the traits of a master swordsman. Also, you may want to think over for a moment if slavianian sword mastery doesn't differ from Japanese one - maybe here the path of being a master is different, yes? Only reason for not calling myself a master would be that I have not been "master" much - haven't taught people much. Have still taught a few some simple things, so I guess that could count.

Few really have the patience to be taught more than the simple things. I agree with you on one thing - it does require far more than blade skill, and those other things usually take too long to be taught to people. And people are impatient.

Also, I am not reckless. I do not urge to fight, but trust me when I tell you this - I will not fear to stand and duel anyone you would qualify as master - because honestly, I feel as worthy of the rank as any of them are.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »

I have no doubt there are differences.  Each region will have it's own unique styles, as fitting to their region and the way they fight.  But there are a lot of similarities, as well.  It's strange, how many similarities one can find between two different things.  Not just swordsmanship, but religion, philosophy, etc.  Many things we might call "disciplines" undoubtedly share many similarities with similar disciplines from other regions.

And worthiness of the title of master swordsman would only come after it's proven.  I'm perfectly confident in taking challenge with anyone who would wish to challenge me.  Master or not.

What other aspects do you include in your blade?  I'm curious now.  This could be quite the interesting discussion.

Rovay

• Rowan
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:36 PM »

Oh, this is the type of discussion I like! People here aren't that interested in medieval weaponry, sadly. Glad I can have a discussion about it with someone.

Now, for the "aspects" - I am not quite sure I understand you here, but I think you mean what else I do besides simple sword training to improve my skills, right? In that case, I would gladly explain - like I said, I had been following some parts of Wicca before I even know they existed. The meditation, the blade-and-body into one, for example. When I am training during the summer and am away from the capital, I usually train bare-footed... correct me if that is the wrong expression, I mean with no shoes, no nothing. That gives better connection with mother Earth, and gives more advantages. Each part of the skin has a feel of its own; with your feet, you can sense things the same way you could with your hands when in the middle of the night you blindly try to find your way to the bathroom, for example. I had an opponent who thought that fighting bare-foot is silly; he managed to trip and fall on his back. Another one managed to trip and fall on his front. And another one, who I fought hand-to-hand, for a change, had a weird experience - we fought in the middle of the wood, see? I went only dressed with my short trousers, while he had long socks, some sort of boots, and was also fully dressed. I was completely bare foot. Yet, we had to stop twice - first, because he managed, through the boot and through the sock, to somehow bleed his left foot from some kind of thorn - I didn't step on something like that.

The second time we stopped was after he managed to do a blow on my head - and ended up breaking his knuckle. He had to get operation. They messed it up. Two months later, they had to reopen it and re-break it to fix the first operation. Was my opponent bad? Not at all, he was better in hand-to-hand than I will be, probably. He just didn't trust mother Earth, and that was my advantage.

So, basically, my aspects - merge with the blade, which lowers the amount of non-efficient, too long or too short hits, and also, trust the elements and try to include them in your battle. And also train at different scenarios to imagine fighting in any kind of environment, and if you can, fight against any other weapon than sword for extra practice - if I have to be honest, my hardest fight ever was against a girl of my rank, if you allow me to say so, who was fighting with a spear. And in really unique way, too, but for that another time.

As I said, I train/ed on my own on my roof. If you are interested, I can tell you what I did to train myself at such environment, you may be surprised of some of the things little creativity may do. I live in a big building, with a very big roof, which is better than any stadium or other training place, by the way. I can tell you more about that if my stories haven't bored you.

Also, I will tell you something - I have no respect for Musashi. I know there were some masters out there in the East, sword masters not only from Japan, but from China too - and not to mention the Philipino-Kali - but I am not sure how much Musashi was ever a real master. I admit, I haven't read all that is to know about him, but I know what he was - disrespectful. From what I heard, he would be offered a duel in the likes of "Mister Musashi, I would be honored if you cross your blade with mine; I cannot find anyone more worthy than yourself to do it with." to which he would answer something like "I'm gonna break your skull in half you piece of shit". That is what is known of him in my country, too, and the reason we call it a "Musashi syndrome" when someone is trying to constantly starts fights and showing a lot of disrespect in the meantime - even if he is good enough. That is why I don't respect Musashi - even if he was good, showing such disrespect sooner or later would come back and bite you.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »

Everything I've ever read of Musashi had him as the consummate warrior.  Hell, one of the tenets he teaches in one of his books (I forget which off the top of my head) was respect for all that lived.  Makes one wonder who's history got it wrong, or just caught him on a bad day.

Gods know a bad day tends to color history.  Look at Custard.  One bad day and he's got his name slapped on any sort of supremely stupid decision.  Despite the fact that (other than a few bad choices here and there) he was a skilled tactician.

I'd do some more reading on Musashi before judging him.  A lot of his philosophy is excellent.

And as this is your thread, feel free to include whatever anecdotes in regards to training you wish.  :)

As for your lady friend, she fought with a spear "uniquely".  Only two ways I know of to fight with a spear, with various off-shoots of the two: "standard" (stay away and poke people with the pointy end) and what I've only heard called "Northern Staff Southern Spear" (treats the spear more like a staff with a pointy end).  I'm guessing her style fit somewhere in the spectrum of the second?  Or was she managing to do something totally unique?

My hardest fight was against a young woman (strange trend, there) who combined single-light-blade (I believe her weapon of choice was gladius) with a mixture of ballet and club-dancing.  Nasty combo.  Seemed to operate as much of movement as momentum.  Hard to hit a target that's never still, especially when she's literally dancing around your weapon.

Another I've had difficulty with was a masterfully wielded axe.  A lot of opportunities to trap your opponents weapon if you know what you're doing.  He almost broke my sword.

And yes, you got the gist of what I was getting at with aspects.  I (personally) feel that to truly master the blade you must master yourself.  Art, philosophy, theology, meditation, etc.  Expand yourself, to better understand yourself, to better understand yourself with a blade.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:59:09 AM by Hjolmaer »

Rovay

• Rowan
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »

For the spear wielding - I myself use the Nordic type when it comes to that, but when I mean unique... I can never wield it like she did. She treated it like a spear and a staff, that is sharp on both ends. She held it at one end, in a sword-like position, and in such way, that she had 3/4 of the spear's length at her defense... It is... Impossible to discribe. She didn't attack, though. Only defensive stances. Was truly amazing, that one.

And yeah, at some point I can tell an anecdote or two if I don't forget, and am on more comfortable PC - this one is bad for typing. See you around the forums tommorow!

Btw, where is the "Hjolmaer" nickname from? Sounds a bit norwegian to me.

Rovay

• Rowan
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

One short thing about Musashi - I could be wrong... But so could you. Truth is neither me or you lived when he did, so neither of us can know for sure if he was a hero and a champion or just a bully. So, with all due respect, I currently respect you more than I will respect him - I refuse to honor someone in any way when I know not for sure if he was worthy of that, you know?

You seem to be quite passionate about this fella, so I hope my opinion doesn't by some way offend you.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Hjolmaer - bastardized version of "hjalmar", meaning "helmeted warrior.  It's (if I recall correctly) Scandinavian.

As for Musashi, it's not so much that I'm passionate about the topic, just offering up what I've read on the subject.  I respect Musashi's teachings, much as I do Confucius', or Socrates', or any of the other great minds of whichever time period you choose.  The individual, I couldn't ever know, so why bother with the person?  History, as they say, is written by the winners.  So I'll stick to respecting their teachings.

Rovay

• Rowan
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:04 AM »

This is a very wise point of view, indeed. You have a point - I will not speak bad of this Musashi, even if I would not try to respect him specifically. And from what I heard, he didn't take any students, so can he be considered teacher? Also, here are pictures of some of my weapons, tell me what you think of them :) I have plenty of others, but I don't use them as often. The first sword I used with a shield, until my shield broke; have to find a new one soon enough. The second one I used most often, it was custom-made by order here in my country; the third one is a real jewel, if I may say, I managed to find it after plenty of effort, it was from one of the Bulgarian wars pre-WWI.

http://bloodguard.guildzilla.com/content/guilds/1755/pictures/43_xarleks1h.jpg

http://bloodguard.guildzilla.com/content/guilds/1755/pictures/3_Xarlekskatana.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/i/slioness.jpg/

Again, thank you for finding interest to talk with me about this topics. Usually I don't find much people interested in it these days.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »

Those are some very nice swords, Rovay.  I like.
Trump is still your President.

Rovay

• Rowan
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

Those are some very nice swords, Rovay.  I like.

^^ thanks!

Hjolmaer

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »

If I can find time, I'll snap off some pics of my collection (such as it is)

Kim Shelton

• Cypress
  • Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »

I like the pics of those swords, too.

Anyway, hail and welcome to TCC!

Kim 8)
"The only thing we have to fear is...fear itself"
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up