Welcome, Guest
August 24, 2019, 09:40:48 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedication and Initiation  (Read 2150 times)

Lady Brigid

• Cypress
  • Tequila Tits!
Dedication and Initiation
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »

I've read a few things around the internet and here on the forums about dedications and initiations of newbies to Wicca but I still don't really understand the concept. I understand that once you find the path and are sure of it you're dedicated but where I get confused is the "year and a day" things towards the actual initiation.
If I could just get a few people to kind of give me an idea as to their own interpretations I would greatly appreciate it.
 :)
Team Ex-Marine Superhero Awesomeness GO!!!

dark magus

• Apple
Re: Dedication and Initiation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

I have no doubt that someone will point out that this has been discussed to death and you could do a search. But.....IN MY OPINION!

dedication; to set apart for a purpose (as honor or worship), to pledge or commit to
It is very possible to self dedicate to ones belief in the divine or to your chosen path, really that's about the only way as it is a personal choice.
You can dedicate yourself or within a group setting. It can even be you and your concept of the divine standing before your Lord and Lady

Initiation; to induct into membership.
Lots of debate on this one. Some say you can self initiate some say no way. Personally, I believe the process of initiation is a ritual that first requires an invitation to join a group and that groups acceptance of an individual as an equal. I don't believe one can self initiate as if one does, what have they become a member of? You can't be a group of one.

Now the yipping will start. And the ones that will yip the loudest are those that have self initiated and will be offended that I should imply they are not what they claim.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »

No yipping here.  Not even a quiet liitle one.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Xicked

• Hawthorn
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:15:25 AM »

Dedication could be seen as a way of 'setting' your mind to something.  By seriously and consciously dedicating yourself to a certain path, in a way you are 'attuning' yourself to interpreting things as they pertain to that particular path.  

Just a thought.  No experience, here.
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable." - Albert Einstein

Hjolmaer

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »

I agree with DM 100%.  He said it much better than I likely would have.

The "year and a day" is traditional for covens, and solitaries seem to use it for much the same purpose: a year and a day of study before dedicating oneself to the path.  Some seem to believe that the dedication come before the year and a day, but the year and a day is supposed to be used to make sure you're doing what you want to be, and if you find out that you just don't agree with it (or parts of it), you can make the necessary changes.

Then comes the dedication.  After that, depends on whether or not your in a coven.  If you're in a coven, the year and a day then dedication becomes the year and a day then initiation (into the coven).  The initiation covers the dedication.

If you're a solitary practitioner, then dedication is all you really need to do.  The obsession with initiation is frankly beyond me, though I could technically argue either point if needed.

I dedicated myself to the Wiccan path, follow the tenets/dogma of Wicca, and generally do the Wiccan thing.  That's perfectly enough for me.  And for most people.  Hence, I am Wiccan.  Despite not being initiated into after being trained by, a coven.

I think some people just want to be able to use the word "initiation" because it sounds so much more impressive than "dedication".  "Initiation" means you entered some sort of elite group, where "dedication" is just settling in to do something.

But I could be wrong.

sewenchanted

• Oak
  • "an unnatural creature"
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »

What is wrong with just reading, studying,learning what you can & let things just come to you as they will????

People seem to be in such a hurry to belong..... Bet when that day comes at the end you won't be in a hurry. And you wont care if you have some sort of "title".

JMHO
"I'm the one whose has to die when its my time to die, so let me live my life the way I want to. "
                             "Hendrix"

Lady Brigid

• Cypress
  • Tequila Tits!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »

Thanks all.
 :)
Team Ex-Marine Superhero Awesomeness GO!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up