Welcome, Guest
August 25, 2019, 04:35:46 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you know?  (Read 5414 times)

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
Re: How do you know?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »

How do you know any of these "teachings" or "callings" are real? How do you know it is not a manifestation of your subconscious?

And who says manifestations of your subconscious aren't real?  ;)
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

phoenixfire

• Cypress
  • I'm back, baby.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »

And who says manifestations of your subconscious aren't real?  ;)

I believe the issue being taken with the idea of the "calling choosing you", is that if it is a manifestation of subconscious it is still ultimately derived from the "Self", unless you wish to differentiate the "conscious self" and the "subconscious self". Or, you are unconcerned with the deeper psychology of that sort of thing.

Wyldkat

• Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »

I tend to differentiate Conscious from Subconscious.  They are definitely connected, but since the subconscious isn't really easily accessible to most people and the conscious mind is, lumping them together always seemed a bit odd to me.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

phoenixfire

• Cypress
  • I'm back, baby.
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »

I tend to differentiate Conscious from Subconscious.  They are definitely connected, but since the subconscious isn't really easily accessible to most people and the conscious mind is, lumping them together always seemed a bit odd to me.

That's true, but the question is whether or not they are "the self" together, or individual "selves". Not that there's really an answer to that question.

Wyldkat

• Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »

That's true, but the question is whether or not they are "the self" together, or individual "selves". Not that there's really an answer to that question.

Not one that can be proven, that's for sure.  I'm not even sure it is one or the other, perhaps separate but interconnected?

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »

"but since the subconscious isn't really easily accessible to most people and the conscious mind is, lumping them together always seemed a bit odd to me"

Sorry, what planet are you on? Anyone that wants to learn about conscious and sub-conscious intelligence can google said definitions. It is quite easy for us
 to follow the debate.

blue

• Birch
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »

How do you know any of these "teachings" or "callings" are real? How do you know it is not a manifestation of your subconscious?

I'm not prepared to defend this position because i can't ....

There's the within ( your subconscious )

And then there's the without ... some undefined outside force "beckoning" you.

I had the calling to "something" for roughly a year.  What that something was i couldn't tell you but whatever it was  made me very uneasy because it was a dark unknown. It was going to be an all or nothing thing. I knew that i would have to dedicate myself to it ... to the exclusion of all else. I finally resolved that i had unfinished business in life, that of being a father and a husband, and that it would either have to wait, or pass me by.

Shortly thereafter the beckoning went to my first born son. It was the middle of the night and i knew it so i got up. He was just coming out of his room as i was walking down the hall. There was no pretense ... we both knew what had just happened. He was a little bit rattled so we talked it over. From the what had just happened he knew some things which were completely out of his range of experience.

Aside from that we never really discussed it in depth. I did remind him that he was near the point of making a rubicon so that he wouldn't decide lightly but aside from that i left him alone. I don't even know what choice he made.

If you were to ask me ... from my own personal experience with it ... i would say that "the beckoning" is something that comes from without.  

For the sake of clarity though i'm not in the least suggesting it was a call to Wicca.  I think it was something more along shamanic lines but what or where i have no idea.

Anyway ... i'm not gonna worry about it.

If it's meant to be it will reveal itself in it's own time.  :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:31:43 PM by blue »

phoenixfire

• Cypress
  • I'm back, baby.
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »

"but since the subconscious isn't really easily accessible to most people and the conscious mind is, lumping them together always seemed a bit odd to me"

Sorry, what planet are you on? Anyone that wants to learn about conscious and sub-conscious intelligence can google said definitions. It is quite easy for us
 to follow the debate.
No, she means that one cannot actively access subconscious thought at will. Not learn what the subconscious is.

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »

Very interesting. However, how can I "not actively access (my) sub-conscious thought at will" during my everyday life?" What does this mean?

phoenixfire

• Cypress
  • I'm back, baby.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »

Very interesting. However, how can I "not actively access (my) sub-conscious thought at will" during my everyday life?" What does this mean?

Google subconscious then you tell me.

Lena

• Ash
  • Persistence is too close to Obsession...
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »

Interesting derail..

PS. Phoenixfire I admit I'm pleasantly surprised by the context your posts in this thread.
"All people hide various of charachters within.. The question is how to summon one and avoid another." - Dr.Emil Kraepelin

Hjolmaer

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »

PS. Phoenixfire I admit I'm pleasantly surprised by the context your posts in this thread.

Why?

Lena

• Ash
  • Persistence is too close to Obsession...
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »

Either I've mistaken her to some other member who I know hasn't contributed much in any discussion or I was tending to believe that phoenixfire wasn't going to do so after the latest turn..

Thus my pleasant surprise... (not to mention the possible approach on the subject by both philosophical and psychological view.. aka my favorite approaches)
"All people hide various of charachters within.. The question is how to summon one and avoid another." - Dr.Emil Kraepelin

phoenixfire

• Cypress
  • I'm back, baby.
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »

Why?
Because I haven't had a pleasant discussion since I came back?

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

"No, she means that one cannot actively access subconscious thought at will. Not learn what the subconscious is. "

And how do you know one cannot access sub-conscious thought at will? I used to have a phobia about flying and was hypnotized and now I no longer fear aeroplanes.That was a scientific, psychotherapeutic solution to a mental problem. I know that was science, and I do not need to "google" and get back to you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up