Welcome, Guest
August 24, 2019, 09:41:31 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you know?  (Read 5412 times)

Hjolmaer

Re: How do you know?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »

"No, she means that one cannot actively access subconscious thought at will. Not learn what the subconscious is. "

And how do you know one cannot access sub-conscious thought at will? I used to have a phobia about flying and was hypnotized and now I no longer fear aeroplanes.That was a scientific, psychotherapeutic solution to a mental problem. I know that was science, and I do not need to "google" and get back to you.

Except that you were  hypnotized, which means that another person accessed your subconscious, not you.

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

If you have ever been "hypnotized", you know perfectly well that it is not possible to make somebody act against their moral compass or to "access their sub-conscious" against their will. This is yet another "metaphysical" fairground trick.

Lena

• Ash
  • Persistence is too close to Obsession...
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 07:08:36 PM »

Hypnotism is not always about "inserting" things in the SubC.. :)
"All people hide various of charachters within.. The question is how to summon one and avoid another." - Dr.Emil Kraepelin

Hjolmaer

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »

If you have ever been "hypnotized", you know perfectly well that it is not possible to make somebody act against their moral compass or to "access their sub-conscious" against their will. This is yet another "metaphysical" fairground trick.

It's not a "fairground trick".

The sub-conscious is accessed, as in your case, with the subject's permission.  You willingly under-went hypnosis for the purpose of overcoming a phobia.  You gave the hypnotist permission to change the underlying (read: subconscious) cause of your phobia.  Hence, the hypnotist had your permission to access your subconscious for the purpose of correcting a deficiency.

You didn't access your subconscious willingly/knowingly.  The hypnotist did, with your permission.

And I'm well aware of what a hypnotist can/cannot do to a subject.  I've been hypnotized before by a very professional hypnotist, who explained a lot of it to us (she was doing it on volunteers for entertainment value) before she proceeded.  I've also done some research on it myself out of curiosity.

Wyldkat's point was that a person cannot easily access their own subconscious.  She didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it's not easy to do so.

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »

With respect, it is incredibly easy to access the sub-conscious mind. People give up smoking or over-eating all the time and there is nothing "magical" about it.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »

With respect, it is incredibly easy to access the sub-conscious mind. People give up smoking or over-eating all the time and there is nothing "magical" about it.

But they don't do so without considerable mental effort.  And it's not accessing the subconscious, it's re-training the conscious mind to adapt to the unconscious triggers.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »

Ack!  Rather than try and quote out everything:  H and Phoenixfire are saying basically what I would have said.

I never said that we couldn't access the subconscious simply that most people can't do so easily (or something along those lines).

Changing habits is simply a matter of repeatedly doing new actions.  That reprograms the conscious mind which eventually effects the subconscious.  Doing so is not directly interacting with the subconscious though.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Hjolmaer

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »

Changing habits is simply a matter of repeatedly doing new actions.  That reprograms the conscious mind which eventually effects the subconscious.  Doing so is not directly interacting with the subconscious though.

And is almost never "easy".

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:03 PM »

Oh, definitely not!
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

unicornb

• Willow
  • Offical TCC Fluffy Bunny
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:39 AM »

I feel Wicca is something you can practice alone....or within a group....it's what you put into it that counts because Wicca is to me anyway something I found while I was searching for something that felt missing from my life....I had been following its tenants nearly all my life I just never knew it had a name. I came upon it by chance...learned on my own for a few years and then found my Grove, which has lead to some good and not so good times, but I now feel everything has gone as it was meant to go.....I had some really hard lessons to learn, now I feel like I'm kinda on the other side of them....but if "Wiccan" is not what you consider yourself now Kat it doesn't make your path any less valid....it just shows you're growing....neat when you think about it isn't it ;)
Yes Theo, I'm purple.......now, HEY you put that peroxide DOWN!!!!!

I used to wonder if the gods forgave, then I looked in the eyes of my children and not only knew that they did but also how very much THEY loved ME

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »

For what it is worth, my "hypnotism" was not be recommended. My therapist, well meaning I am sure, attempted to put me in a trance telling me that I was hearing "gurgling brooks" and "wind in the willows" even though both she and I KNEW we were hearing traffic on one of the most busiest roads in the world. thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up