Welcome, Guest
May 27, 2018, 04:28:57 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What are some thought-provoking books?  (Read 11610 times)

Raven Star

• Elm
Re: What are some thought-provoking books?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 06:51:01 AM »

I liked the "Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield..To me it shows you that everything is worth looking at in ways of symbols...The person you met on the street and don't know and says "here is a great store,you might want to try it out." Just an example,but you get what I mean..Symbols are everywhere,just need to be open to them...
Crones don't day they just get wiser.

Wood Sprite

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:11 AM »

I'm sorry I can't offer you much in the way of Asatru, but I have a fair amount of information on Druidry and other Celtic Pagan paths. The Celts were not limited to Ireland, but lived throughout most of Europe before the Romans pushed them into the British Isles.  I do not follow New Age beliefs, though I have a great deal of respect for all faiths. Every religion has to start somewhere, so there is nothing wrong with "new". I just happen to be more of a old soul, and my strength is drawn from the old paths. They are simpler, and feel right for me.

With that said, here's a list of a few books I have found very reliable. To warn you, they may be a more academic read than some of the more popular books that are available, but they are all based on historically accurate studies. I hate wasting money on books I later discover are all show and no substance, so I'm very careful as to what i recommend to others. I hope these help.

The Druids - Ronald Hutton  (I recommend ANYTHING by Hutton)
Living With Honour - Emma Restall Orr (an academic associate of Hutton's)
The Lebor Feasa Runda (it's in English too) - Steven L. Akins
The Book of Druidry - Ross Nichols
The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age - Richard Rudgley
The Triumph of the Moon - Ronald Hutton
The Apple Branch - Alexei Kondratiev
Anam Cara - John O'Donahue
In the House of Memory - Steve Rabey
Dictionary of Celtic Religion & Culture - Bernhard Maier
Where Science & Magic Meet - Serena Roney-Dougal
Witchdom of the True - Edred

Also, if you are interested in Druidic law, you can search The Brehon Law on Google or Bing. They are fascinatingly advanced laws that are thousands of years old. The Druids used them to settle everything from civil disputes to handing down judgements for murder. They can give you some insight into the way these ancient peoples lived their lives. To see how these laws are laid out, and to understand that the Druids had to commit these laws to memory (because they had no written language), is simply amazing. They were in no way what we think of as "primitive'.
BB  Ann

Any day above ground, is a good day...and it's a day closer to retirement! : )

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »

Dion Fortune's fiction, especially The Sea Priestess, The Winged Bull, or The Secrets of Dr Taverner.
Crowley's Moonchild,
Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco,
Prometheus Rising, by R. Anton Wilson,
Alice through the Looking Glass, Lewis Caroll,
The Secret History of Everything, Manly. P. Hall.
There's others, but my mind's gone blank now.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 02:43:13 PM »

Dion Fortune's fiction, especially The Sea Priestess, The Winged Bull, or The Secrets of Dr Taverner.
Crowley's Moonchild,
Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco,
Prometheus Rising, by R. Anton Wilson,
Alice through the Looking Glass, Lewis Caroll,
The Secret History of Everything, Manly. P. Hall.
There's others, but my mind's gone blank now.

Great list dude...

to which I'd add:
The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Kapra
God is a Verb by Rabbi David Cooper
Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku

"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »

Herman Hesse, "Siddartha", and of course, "Steppenwolf".
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »

The Song of the Bird by Anthony de Mello.
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
The People of the Lie
Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
Power corrupts not only those that wield power, but also those that submit to it.  ~Louis L'amour

Raven Star

• Elm
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »

Serpentium,did you know that Dion Fortune's book the Sea Priestess was written as study books..There is another one and I think there is one after that as well, I can't think of the name of the other one that I have right now(SR moment)..I read the Sea Priestess but didn't get the other one read,have both somewhere in my maze of books...

Another book I like is"Bringers of the Dawn" teachings from the Pleiadians,by Barbara Marciniak...

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »

Serpentium,did you know that Dion Fortune's book the Sea Priestess was written as study books..There is another one and I think there is one after that as well, I can't think of the name of the other one that I have right now(SR moment)..I read the Sea Priestess but didn't get the other one read,have both somewhere in my maze of books...

Another book I like is"Bringers of the Dawn" teachings from the Pleiadians,by Barbara Marciniak...
Yeah, The first one was "The Winged Bull",  next, "The Goat Foot God"  then "The Sea Priestess".  (Same characters)   "Moon Magic" was published some 10 years after her death in 1946.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:31:36 AM by Serpentium »

Raven Star

• Elm
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »

I knew they came in a series but didn't know those were the first two,,,hmmm have to check those out..She seems like an interesting person haven't taken the time to really look into her,but I think I will...Thank you...

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »

" The Temple of High Witchcraft " Christophwer Penczak
" Drawing Down the Moon " Margot Adler
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 05:47:25 AM »

Can anyone cast any light on an author by the name of Migene Gonzalez-Wippler? I picked up this book entitled "Book of Shadows" from my local library. They are very limited in their stock, but did have this one.

I have been reading it so far, just interested to know anyone elses thoughts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 05:58:48 AM »

Another book I found was "The Book of English Magic" by Phillip Carr-Gomm and Richard Heygate. It looks like the type of book that you could take some info from, but not all of it. Unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Anyone familiar with these co-authors?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 06:39:06 AM »

You really can't go past The Kama Sutra for my money.

Do try to get the Pop-Up version...it adds another dimension to the whole experience...if you'll pardon the pun.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:45 AM »

;D ;D ;D  You're a bad woman SE  ;D ;D ;D

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »

Thank you. I do try.

;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up