Welcome, Guest
August 17, 2018, 07:13:20 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What are some thought-provoking books?  (Read 12136 times)

Feuer Vogel

• Alder
What are some thought-provoking books?
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

I am intrested in books about Paganism that are very thought-provoking. I want to think about whatever the book has to say. I am intrested in philosophy, and am curious if there are any good books about not only the tradition of Druids, but the practices. I'm also intrested in learning more about the Asatru beliefs. Thanks!

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
Re: What are some thought-provoking books?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »

I recommend "The Encyclopedia of Magic and Witchcraft" by Susan Greenwood.

And I'd avoid anything by $liver Raving Woot (Silver Ravenwolf).

And if you're interested in Druids...Isis Books has quite a nice selection. --

http://store.isisbooks.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=druid
"Here, but now I'm gone."

NyteShaed

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »

I am intrested in books about Paganism that are very thought-provoking. I want to think about whatever the book has to say. I am intrested in philosophy, and am curious if there are any good books about not only the tradition of Druids, but the practices. I'm also intrested in learning more about the Asatru beliefs. Thanks!

The Druids did not write anything down, so any information on them was written down by their enemies (the Romans)  I wouldn't count on it being at all accurate.

tomas

• Holly
  • See the above...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »

There are a number of very good websites devoted to Asatru. Google or Bing will bring up quite a few. There is also a sticky in Pagan Q & A about Asatru.

tomas

*edit to add content*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:09:34 PM by tomas »
"Music is a release from the tyranny of conscious thought"
-- Kevin Burke
Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids...

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »

The Druids did not write anything down, so any information on them was written down by their enemies (the Romans)  I wouldn't count on it being at all accurate.

If they didn't write anything down, then they passed it on orally, and the surviving generations (descendants) who are alive now, may have written something.

aloe

• Cypress
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion by Sir James George Frazer, published in several volumes between 1890 and 1915.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »

Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help by Marion Weinstein - there is a revised edition available as well, I prefer the original.

Personal Magic : The Role and the True Self by Marion Weinstein

Wiccan Warrior: Walking a Spiritual Path in a Sometimes Hostile World by Kerr Cuhulain

Pagan Religions: A Manual for Diversity Training (Shamanism Paganism Druidry) by Kerr Cuhulain

My top 4 choices for anyone new to the path.

My thinking on any book on the craft is quite simple.  It never hurts anyone to read a book.  (One Mummy reference will bring down DOOM so don't go there)  You can always take wht you want from a book and put the rest back on the shelf. 

~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Hjolmaer

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help by Marion Weinstein - there is a revised edition available as well, I prefer the original.

Personal Magic : The Role and the True Self by Marion Weinstein

Wiccan Warrior: Walking a Spiritual Path in a Sometimes Hostile World by Kerr Cuhulain

Pagan Religions: A Manual for Diversity Training (Shamanism Paganism Druidry) by Kerr Cuhulain

My top 4 choices for anyone new to the path.

My thinking on any book on the craft is quite simple.  It never hurts anyone to read a book.  (One Mummy reference will bring down DOOM so don't go there)  You can always take wht you want from a book and put the rest back on the shelf.

Bolded part: I can recommend this one also as an excellent read.  I'm now going to add the other three to my list o' books to get.

Italicized part: Only unless it comes shambling after you to absorb your vital essences........

sorry....couldn't help it.......

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »

Bolded part: I can recommend this one also as an excellent read.  I'm now going to add the other three to my list o' books to get.

Italicized part: Only unless it comes shambling after you to absorb your vital essences........

sorry....couldn't help it.......

My official holy title as given to me by the one true Rain God is.... The Ebola Sex Monkey of Certain Doom.....  

I might should have mentioned that before.....   :-*
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

NyteShaed

• Ash
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:47:58 AM »

If they didn't write anything down, then they passed it on orally, and the surviving generations (descendants) who are alive now, may have written something.

Well, the info is from the Romans, so it may not be accurate, but according to them the Druids did not write anything down because it was forbidden.  So anything that was written down would be written by a heretic, and thus just as likely inaccurate as what was written by their enemies.

An tAthair

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »

The Demon-Haunted World
by Carl Sagan

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »

Well, the info is from the Romans, so it may not be accurate, but according to them the Druids did not write anything down because it was forbidden.  So anything that was written down would be written by a heretic, and thus just as likely inaccurate as what was written by their enemies.

I see...

Also..what's up with the vegetable avatars??

Feuer Vogel

• Alder
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:57:51 PM »

I recommend Scott Cunningham's "The Truth About Witchcraft" and Amber K's "True Magick".

Your name means 'fire bird', yes?

Yes it does. :)

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »

There was nothing forbidden in terms of writing it down. Just that in an agrarian society there was no time to learn luxuries like reading and writing. so knowledge was passed in story, poem and song. In ancient myth and legend lie the secrets of the old ways. That is how you got people to remember lessons.
As for books, that always bothers me. It seems almost like a legacy from Christianity that the Pagans of today are looking for an infallible writing, a scripture almost. Forget it, go for the experiences. are you willing to trust in the Gods to give you the teachers you are ready for? They will come along and they will show you. In the meantime, if you want to know about Druidry, leave the books alone and take a walk amongst the trees. If you pay attention you will learn more about true Druidry than any book can teach you. I'm fond of telling zealous advocates of the Abrahamic religions, "If you put your Bible out in the wind and rain it will be destroyed. My Bible IS the wind and the rain."
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »

Pagan were  here before they  came and will be here long after they are gone and the are losing ground everyday." History of Pagan Europe " Jones & Pennick .oldghost
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up