Welcome, Guest
August 19, 2019, 09:20:22 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about a term  (Read 7224 times)

Healer Ashling

• Ash
  • There is a fine line between insanity and genius.
Re: A question about a term
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 06:31:25 AM »

High school romances didn't turn out very well for me.  I'm glad that is over.  My youngest only has 2 months to go and will have graduated from HS.

Ditto. Thank goodness. High school BS sucks.

All I want is peace, love, understanding and a chocolate bar bigger than my head.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »

Ditto. Thank goodness. High school BS sucks.

And on that note the subject was split off...
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Healer Ashling

• Ash
  • There is a fine line between insanity and genius.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »

Yes it was.

And just a correction, I meant me...I am out in 2 months...not my child...
All I want is peace, love, understanding and a chocolate bar bigger than my head.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 01:30:53 AM »

Yes it was.

And just a correction, I meant me...I am out in 2 months...not my child...
Are you in Prison?
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

I am in prison. At least until my daughter graduates next month.  Three weeks to go! Yeah, then I can leave this town!!
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »

I am in prison. At least until my daughter graduates next month.  Three weeks to go! Yeah, then I can leave this town!!
Well I hope you learned your lesson. That kind of behavior is totally unacceptable. Isn't it your 3rd strike next time?
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

Have four. I'm in for life!  :'(

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »

Ill pray for you. (Only joking)

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

Oh, dont joke. I need all the help I can get, lOl!!!

Curt

• Willow
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »

While I am new here, I cannot help but reply to this thread. This "thing" about being "pure" or original....from what I understand Gardner gathered what information he could about the "old religion" and then assimilated it plus his own input. So, in other words, he made this belief into what today is called Wicca. Ok... lessee....not trying to be sarcastic or "smart" but that kind of tells me he made this belief up. That said...and from what I have read in the past and from what I am reading now Wicca has no central authority, no Pope or anything like that. THAT is part of what brought me here. I was formerly a "christian". I have had enough of these "rules". I have had enough of this "this is how it must be done, this is what you may believe...and on and on. Granted, there has to be guidelines. but this emphasis on named or labels....I don't buy into that one bit. Each of us worships the Goddess and God, some may even worship more than them. If it ever comes to where this group is right and this group is wrong type of thing.....that is when I get out of here, in a hurry! Because then, what you have is nothing but some exclusive club, imho.

Friskies

• Fir
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

Some Pagans/Wiccans would happily shove you into a box, by telling you YOU MUST blahblahblah.

Like your not really for reals Wiccan.. OMG Oh noessssssssssss... 

I have seen the same mentality/snobbery out of Pagans/Wiccans that I have seen from Christians.

NyteShaed

• Ash
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »

While I am new here, I cannot help but reply to this thread. This "thing" about being "pure" or original....from what I understand Gardner gathered what information he could about the "old religion" and then assimilated it plus his own input. So, in other words, he made this belief into what today is called Wicca. Ok... lessee....not trying to be sarcastic or "smart" but that kind of tells me he made this belief up. That said...and from what I have read in the past and from what I am reading now Wicca has no central authority, no Pope or anything like that. THAT is part of what brought me here. I was formerly a "christian". I have had enough of these "rules". I have had enough of this "this is how it must be done, this is what you may believe...and on and on. Granted, there has to be guidelines. but this emphasis on named or labels....I don't buy into that one bit. Each of us worships the Goddess and God, some may even worship more than them. If it ever comes to where this group is right and this group is wrong type of thing.....that is when I get out of here, in a hurry! Because then, what you have is nothing but some exclusive club, imho.

Watch out, you already sound like a Discordian.

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »

When there's talk of "Gardnerian Wicca" there's a tendency to forget where he got his information from. George Pickingill formed nine covens. The New Forest Coven was, to the best of my information, the only coven that Gardner was introduced to. He probably knew about the existence of the others but he said little about them and they still remain shrouded in mystery.
These people were and are "Witches" Wicca is a term coined by Gardner in a transparent attempt to start a new religion (And the etymology is rather dubious at that). This caused the old folk to withdraw from him. His showmanship compromised the privacy of the Witches and has led researchers to identify many people who would prefer to stay out of the limelight. Remember that up until 1951 the practice of Witchcraft was illegal in the U.K. and centuries of secrecy form habits not easily broken.
Witchcraft goes beyond new age "Wicca" the question that we face today in our walk along an ancient path involves the valid versus the authentic. For example; In the days pre-conversion (To Christianity) Europe was covered in rain forests. It is hardly likely that Druids planted trees. et many Druids of today plant sacred groves. It is not authentic Druidry, but it is valid for our times. So it is with all aspects of the path. Do we predict the weather by watching the clouds and listening to the birds, or do we switch on the weather channel?
To summarize; Don't get caught in modern labels, they are weak anyway. Use authentic Witchcraft as your foundation but valid Witchcraft is the house you must live in.
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »

Why do people use the term "Gardnerian Wicca"  Isn't that a bit like saying "Jesusian Christianity" or "Mohamedian Islam" or for that matter "Papist Catholicism" or "Smithian Mormonism"?

Gardner founded Wicca, all Wiccans are Gardnerian Wiccans, some are also Alexandrian, or Dianic, or Eclectic, or what have you, but saying Gardnerian Wicca seems awfully redundant.

I know that some people use it to mean traditional Wiccan, as opposed to one of the other sorts, but doing so seems to dismiss Alexandrians, Dianics, Eclectics and the other sorts as somehow not actually following Gardner.

Erm... Jesus didn't found Christianity... his teachings are the basis for the spiritual abstraction used as a basis for may other "Christian" religions, but it was Paul who pushed those ideas to be applied to Gentiles.  I think the term Gardnarian is pretty descriptive, as are the other variable terms mentioned.   
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »

If you really look at things, to say your a pagan can be related to saying your Christian.
To say your wiccan can be compared to being Catholic.
To say your Gardnarian wiccan can be compared to being Roman Catholic.

These are still just labels that only have meaning if YOU give them meaning.
Faith and spirituality have been with us since .......well, most likely since man began to walk up right.
Wicca has only been around since the 50's. Yes, it's someones made up religion based on ....what ever. But then, so is any other religion you can name. Don't get hung up on the name. Find your own truth and follow it. If it's real, faith will develop or your truth will evolve. (which it most likely will do anyway)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up