Welcome, Guest
August 24, 2019, 09:27:53 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about a term  (Read 7255 times)

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
Re: A question about a term
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »

Don't get caught in modern labels, they are weak anyway. Use authentic Witchcraft as your foundation but valid Witchcraft is the house you must live in.
Are you saying authentic Witchcraft isn't valid Witchcraft?

Also, doesn't the House you live in have to be made out of Gingerbread for really truly real validity?
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »

Only if it's really truly real authentic Gingerbread.   ::)
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

Healer Ashling

• Ash
  • There is a fine line between insanity and genius.
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 05:36:29 AM »

Why are we comparing a religion to...gingerbread?
All I want is peace, love, understanding and a chocolate bar bigger than my head.

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 06:47:19 AM »

Why are we comparing a religion to...gingerbread?
buggered if I know. Ask Serpentium.
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:19 AM »

I think it's a reference to the good old "witches are old hags who live in gingerbread houses and devour small children" stereotype, a la Hansel and Gretel
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Nixie

• Oak
  • I am the accident waiting to happen!
    • The Spiritual Nexus
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »

You beat me to it Edens Garden. Not one of my favourite fairy tales, Baba Yaga was another such 'old hag witch', though if you look through them not all are 'old hags', Snow White's step mother, she was beautiful on the outside, but ugly on the inside.
".... that's the bottom line 'cause Stone Cold says so" < Stone Cold Steve Austin

Healer Ashling

• Ash
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »

*blink* freak you Hollywood. Yes, children in school used to throw water at me saying "you aren't melting yet you witch". Then they came up with the classic "witch witch, you're a bitch line". It was in Practical Magic, and I guess someone saw it and decided it was a good idea. *sigh* those stones hurt as well. The water in the winter, the stones in the summer, and so much else. Glad to know society has changed since the Inquisition. I was once actually tied with my hands behind my back and thrown into the lake. Luckily I can swim with just my legs and hold my breath, thanks to my mother insisting I learn to swim with just arms or just legs. Came up and they called me evil and all that. Ahh, things never change.
All I want is peace, love, understanding and a chocolate bar bigger than my head.

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask, do you shove the fact that you see yourself as a witch in their faces? Some of their actions seem extreme, but you seem to have a flippant way of flaunting it, from what you have said about your actions towards them.
-Trevor Hall

Curt

• Willow
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »

Re what EG just said.....think about it...today it is not considered to be PC, or polite to mock, tease, discriminate against those of a different sexual persuation, those who have a different skin color, etc. In fact it is illegal. So, maybe it is high time we did get a little flipant, a little of the "in your face" attitude. After all.....Wicca is a recognized religion so why are we in effect backing down all the time? Just a thought......

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »

I'm not asking it as a "power to the wiccans!" way, I'm asking because she personally seems to use Witchcraft as a way of publicly and loudly declaring how different and special she is. It just bothers me that my spiritual path is her way of showing off to the masses.
-Trevor Hall

Healer Ashling

• Ash
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 03:04:19 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask, do you shove the fact that you see yourself as a witch in their faces? Some of their actions seem extreme, but you seem to have a flippant way of flaunting it, from what you have said about your actions towards them.

No, but my mother did flaunt it to those around her. I tried to keep it silent, but when my sister came to school, she too bragged. They did nothing to her because they thought she was challenged. I kept it a secret  but my mother chose to throw it out there and myself. She was proud because I was the first female "head of the family" and the Wiccan half had decided that after the death of the past high priest, they wanted me as the high priestess of the coven...at the age of 13. So I mean, I cannot blame her, I would be proud of my daughter too. But she never knew what the kids put me through, not saying she was an abusive parent but she was never really there for me after school. She was always in bed sleeping the day away. So I would clean myself up and move on with my life. It is not that it bothers me anymore, I have accepted it. But knowing that even today with all of the acceptance, people still do it, that is what bugs me. I am Pagan, get over it :P

It was not me who announced it. To this day I still do not tell anyone. My best of friends know and they really do not care. Sure they do the whole "TURN HIM TO A FROGGIE" type thing, but they joke around and I make my fair share of Christian jokes to them. We have a mutual understanding. Only jokes are made and they are not meant to be insulting.

Back to the original question again, no. I did not flaunt it. I mean, these past few months I have gotten braver, wearing a pentagram necklace visible, but I am finding that some (not all) people have matured. They no longer throw rocks, beat me, and only one or two make the insult. *shrug* I have fairly thick skin now, I can take it.

Healer Ashling

• Ash
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »

Sorry, did not see your last post EG. But again, I do not wear a sign around my neck saying "don't bug me, I am Pagan". I live in a very very unaccepting town. I mean, a lot of people are still treating the homosexuals badly. I know of ONE gay guy that is not bullied and that is because he hides it very well.

I have no one to show off to. Who in this place am I going to impress? My math teacher? I was bullied as a child for my choice in religious path. How is that showing off to anyone?

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »

Gardner invented Wicca.  Paul invented Christianity.  Mohammed invented Islam. 

ALL codified belief systems ascribed to by humans were "invented" by humans...BAR NONE.

To muddy your brliefs down, ( or up, for that matter), over the "invention" of it is to REALLY be a victim to the "forest-for-the-trees" folly.  YOU BELIEVE.  That's good.  YOU BELIEVE what I BELIEVE.  That's good.  WE now have a religion.  Next person comes along that believes a lot like we do.  But not QUITE...THEY get a few more JUST LIKE THEM!  YAY!  THEY have a religion!  Is it the SAME as ours?  Well...almost. 

DISCAIMER OF MALICE:  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE MY ANECDOTAL ILLUSTRATIONS TO BE CONSTRUED AS DEMEANING OR MOCKING ANY RELIGION.  EVAR!

Start with you and me.  We saw the whole business up there between Abraham and Isaac.  Ol' Abe comes down and tells us all about it and...YAY!  We're JEWS!  So here we are having a nice little nosh and this fella Paul walks in...He's a Jew, Too!  C'mon...pull up a chair.  Nosh!  Shmmoz!  What?  Jesus?  Nazreth?  Oooo-kay....Nice talking to you, Paulie...but WE're JEWS and YOU're NOT....(anymore)...So Paulie leaves and just as we get settled back down in janders this new guy...Mohammed.  He says that HE saw all of the stuff about Abe nad Issy, YY!  Another Jew!  Moe, pull up a seat!  What? AL-h himself told him to write all this down...Oooo-kay....Moe....listen, bubelah....we're JEWS here...Yes, yes, I know..."BUT ONE G-D"....well....have a nice day....

Does that make us, the JEWS in the room, WRONG?  Maybe.  Because had we been a little bit more "embracing" way back when, there would only be ONE religion based on the story of Abe and Issy.  Now, thre are THOUSANDS.  WHICH ONE IS RIGHT???

You couldn't PAY a Muslim to call himself a Jew.  As well, the ONLY way anyone got a Jew to call himself Christian was by torture.  While it might seem inanae and trivial in the zoom-lens of history...if THEY can be "covetous" of their brand of religion, why can't I?  Why can't YOU? 

We CAN.  If you are, in fact, WICCAN, then fine.  THAT MEANS that you follow the teachings of Gardner, Sanders, Buckland, and dang few others.  Why?  Because you start veering off just a wee-bit too far from the CORE beliefs.  Nobody want's to argue over the athme being made of steel vs. bone vs. bronze.  Just that it conform to the standards of usage.  If you DO "veer" away a bit, no worries.  Add a modifier to your gig and we're all set..."Dianic Wicca" or "Faery Wicca" or "Neo-Fluffy-Pink-Silvery-Winged-Unicorn-Dragon" Wicca.  It gives us ALL a way to discern ourselves ans well as each other.

ONCE you get farther "away" from Wicca but CLOSER to really-real ancient Earth-and-sky-and-sea-and-stars paths, you can "modify" the word "Pagan" any way you see fit.  If there are a bunch of you, you have a religion!  Yay!  If it's ONLY you, It's still a religion, but more appropriately labelled a "Path" or a "Spirituality"..

Once again....I meant ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO HARM OR DEPRECATION TO ANY Jew, Christian or Muslim wwith my little anecdote.  It was by way of a mechanism in a vernacular that the populace would be able to identify with that I was illustrating.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

"ALL codified belief systems ascribed to by humans were "invented" by humans...BAR NONE."

Well, not exactly; Jews believe that Torah was written on stone tablets by G-d(as well as Kabballah, Oral Torah, etc), and given to Moses on Mount Sinai...  ;)
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

THE LAW was given unto Moishe.
THE REST-US.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?