Welcome, Guest
August 25, 2019, 04:10:38 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This almost made me cry for shame...  (Read 3079 times)

bombygriz

• Alder
This almost made me cry for shame...
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5012/5012_01.asp?FROM=bibleseries

So many errors, ignorant assumptions, and even a reference to Harry Potter...it's deplorable!

Why is it that so many people always bring HP, Twilight, etc. up when they discuss witchcraft? I say this all the time, "Look, I'm Wiccan, and I sure as hell don't walk around with a dragonheart wand in my pocket screaming 'Expelliarmus!' every five seconds!" I think that sums it up.

So...opinions?

Hjolmaer

Re: This almost made me cry for shame...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »

Um.....it's Chick.

That's actually pretty much par for the course as far as his work is concerned.

bombygriz

• Alder
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »

Touch?. However, it never ceases to amaze me when people assume I'm Wiccan because of Harry Potter! At my age (I'm fifteen), when someone finds out about my religion, they usually don't hesitate to ask if I like HP or Twilight, or say "Must be because of all those Harry Potter books!". I like Harry Potter, but I'm not Wiccan because of it. I live in a town full of Catholics though, so that could explain some of it...

If Harry Potter had anything to do with Wicca, I suppose we'd all make pilgrimages to Orlando like it was Mecca...xD

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Its not Harry potter or twilight to blame.

We are all Wiccan because of Charmed.... Duh!!
 ;)
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »

I'm Wiccan because of Willow on Buffy......but I KNEW most of what I saw on Buffy & Charmed was "Hollywood Magic".

I had my daughter's oldest half-brother's mom (follow that??) complain that our shared ex saying Wicca was no different than Harry Potter was BS.  In fact, she called Wicca BS.  She didn't realize I was Wiccan & I kept my mouth shut.  I've gotten numb about that, mostly because of an incident when I first started practicing and had a confrontation with a co-worker (who was Christian) while making Easter baskets for a company raffle.  I didn't cry in front of her, but I did drive to my ex's & vent to him.
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »

So...opinions?

You're 15 right?

My opinion is...

Learn to shrug when people say silly things...

Learn to stop reading stupid $hit....

Learn to grow a thicker skin....

Learn that others people's opinions mean next to nothing....

Learn to not pass on toxic energy to other people...

Seriously. People are stupid. Let them be stupid....they have the right to be stupid if they choose. You have the right to be smart. If you choose

So choose to be smart.

Instead of passing on garbage and toxic energy to other people...be productive and counterbalance that toxic crap. Be a balance to the Universe...and that won't happen by using negative words and giving access to negative words. Don't look for justification against someone or someones words. Find validation in your own positive words and life. People are drawn to that and will respond to that in a much more fullfilling way.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »

I thought it was really funny.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Keysol

• Ash
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

I thought it was really funny.

Of course you did...because you've learned to get past the seriousness of it all.

That's the whole point right? To see it for what it is? Once you've done that, then it really no longer matters. It's not ignorant, it's silly. It's not assumptions, it's fun.

I learned a long time ago not to take myself so serious...in turn...I don't take other people so serious either.

Unless they are pointing a gun at me. Or a dragonheart wand. Either or is probably a serious situation.
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »

Charmed, Harry Potter.......I was inspired by Bewitched, lol....(not)

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:15:45 AM »

Of course you did...because you've learned to get past the seriousness of it all.

That's the whole point right? To see it for what it is? Once you've done that, then it really no longer matters. It's not ignorant, it's silly. It's not assumptions, it's fun.

So much fun, that I had a look at the Creationist blurb on the same site. And the Anti-Masonic bit too. All so incredulously fatuous, that I'm wondering what their Demographic actually is. I can't see any kids getting scared off from Harry Potter by Uncle Bob, (Who, imo, shouldn't be let anywhere near children)
And I can't see that their Anti Masonic stuff would scare any prospective candidates away from Masonry. In fact, I don't think any self respecting Lodge would consider 'Larry' as a Brother. And they'd probably blackball Frank for proposing him. http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1036/1036_01.asp
These people are so good at self ridicule, they pre-emptively eliminate any need for Trolling. Makes me wonder if the whole Chick.com website is supposed to be a joke. (It works for me, anyway) 
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 12:54:44 AM »

Some more funny stuff from Chick.com.

On Halloween.

"In the 1840's there was a terrible potato famine in Ireland which sent thousands of Catholic Irish to America. They brought Halloween with them."

And this.

"The widespread problem of harmful substances such as razor blades, drugs, poisons, needles, etc. being placed in the Halloween treats here in America is no accident. Testimonies of several ex-Satanists show that these children killed and injured by the "treats" are sacrifices to Satan (or Samhain). Satanists throughout the world continue to perform human sacrifices on Halloween".

"Is this something you want YOUR child to participate in?"

On the Holocaust

"Dr. Alberto Rivera, ex-Jesuit priest, says "holocaust" is the wrong word. He prefers "inquisition." "The Jews have not let us forget the Nazi slaughter of their people, but no one has continued to remind us of the other four to six million non-Jews also executed," he points out".

Evolution v Creationism

"There is evidence in samples of ancient amber that the atmosphere contained twice as much oxygen is it does today and that the atmospheric pressure was much greater.

This would explain how an 80-foot-long dinosaur could get enough oxygen for his huge body through nostrils no bigger than those of a horse."

"Besides size, the biblical record speaks of very long life spans. Adam lived over 900 years. Methuselah is considered the oldest at 969. Noah came close to this. Even after the flood, Moses lived well past 100. Is this just bad counting by primitive cave men? Hardly."

"Creation scientists are amassing evidence that life was much different before Noah's flood. Fossils of 12-foot-tall men, pig-sized beavers, 50-foot crocodiles and foot-long cockroaches have been found."

"If evolution worked "uphill," then the sheep should turn into a horse so he could escape the wolf more easily."

"Asimov had calculated that, if the moon had been around a few billion years, it would be covered with a layer of cosmic dust several miles thick.  That, of course, is why NASA first sent an unmanned lander that found, to Asimov?s surprise, only two or three inches of dust.  And we are all familiar with pictures of Armstrong?s footprints in the shallow lunar dirt."

"Space dust accumulates on the surface of the moon at the rate of about one inch for every ten thousand years. Astronaughts found an average of one-half inch, just about what you would expect in six thousand years. Also, the moon is very slowly moving away from the earth. If it were millions of years old, it would have had to start very close to the earth, causing ocean tides so severe it would have drowned every thing on land twice a day".

And this one had me picking my jaw up off the floor.

"The present (population of) six billion is the right number of people to have multiplied from the eight survivors of the universal flood about 4400 years ago."

Thanks to the OP. I needed a good laugh.

blue

• Birch
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 01:15:29 AM »

< gentle laughter >

Wow .... this guy is supposed to be an advocate FOR fundamentalist Christianity ?   ::)

It never ceases to amaze me at how effectively people like that work against their cause.

<---- Shakes head in disbelief. LMAO .... this can't be for real. There's over the top, and then there's so far over the top that it ends up being a parody of itself.

bombygriz

• Alder
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 05:23:13 AM »

Oh, don't worry folks. The thread title was a bit of teenage hyperbole for you. I laughed at that and many other tracts...I really wasn't crying, just a little in shock, but hey, it happens. People always try to spread BS as true and denounce what you believe, so I'm getting used to it. Just yesterday, I was at Borders choosing a book for a plane trip, and I found Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. Mom, who is Catholic, says "Why don't you get a normal book? One that won't have people staring at you?" I was so close to saying "If you took a bible on the plane, people wouldn't stare at you..." :p

Keysol

• Ash
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »

Some more funny stuff from Chick.com.

Sadly...lesson lost.

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »

Some great advice from Keysol.
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up