Welcome, Guest
August 24, 2019, 10:08:16 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Downline Wicca' vs. 'homebrew wicca'  (Read 1593 times)

Tsakara

• Fir
  • I aim to misbehave
'Downline Wicca' vs. 'homebrew wicca'
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:20:01 AM »

I'm going to state something fairly controversial probably, but I've been watching this board for a few days and in my, albeit limited exposure, I feel like its a topic that you all can approach maturely.

There are two differing perspectives on what it means to be wiccan, the first perspective is that you have to be a member of a direct downline coven, that can trace its roots back somehow to Gardner, or you're not "really Wiccan"

The other perspective is that anyone can claim to be Wiccan, and anyone can embrace the God and the Goddess and finding a "real coven" isn't needed.

Now, my perspective on it is currently thus (feel free to correct this if I'm wrong) but for the first group, isn't that they don't have issue with the second group taking their beliefs, just with the title of Wiccan, which they feel is inherently there's. I'm probably going to end up in a downline coven, simply because I prefer the more vaguely traditional feeling practices of theirs as opposed to the more eclectic approach of a lot of the new growth witchcraft.

So that brings us to the question:

Is the "exclusivity" of downline Wicca really something good, something that should be enforced? Because it seems to me as rather well...Christian in that perspective. "My way is the only real right way" etc. And it strikes me very much as being a bad way to go about things, and a good way to create imbalances and fractionalism within a group that really really should be welcoming and encompassing of anyone.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
Re: 'Downline Wicca' vs. 'homebrew wicca'
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »

This topic has been scattered across the boards for a very long time, in different threads. The search function will take you to many.
Whether to practice with a coven or be a solitary is, IMHO, completely up to the person.  As with any close knit group, there are bound to be imbalances and infractions.  That is where wise, knowledgeable leaders come in.  I chose a long time ago to follow a solitary path.  For me it works.  I do occasionally celebrate  Sabbats with a circle in my area.  Being a solitary does not mean you do not learn or share with others of your beliefs, just that you practice alone for the most part.
Deciding which way you want to go is very important.  As with any choice, it can change your life in ways you'd never imagine.  Blessings, Arn
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Tsakara

• Fir
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:22:52 AM »

I was less referring to Coven vs. Solitary practice and more to Downline or British Traditional Wicca in comparison with something like the faery tradition or Dianic wicca, which doesn't have the lines running back to Gardner.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »

I have a friend who is a HP in Wicca and is also initiated into the Faery Tradition.  She has no problem combining the two.  We have talked quite extensively about both.  We are of a like mind on the premise that change is needed for any belief system to grow.  We differ on the need for a lineage and have had many in depth conversations about it.  What it has all boiled down to is, we respect each others choices and beliefs.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:45:53 PM »

I have never gotten the whole Faery tradition thing.  I don't believe the hard core Dianists are Wiccan either but I am entitled to my opinion.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »

ACTUALLY....if you look at the Dianic schism, they are more downline than MANY, if not MOST of the traditions that come much later!

BTW is BTW.  That is the reason I coined the term "ORTHODOX" Wicca years ago...to OFFSET the BTW issue and include many of the downlines that strayed to the New World.  I'm not saying that it should be a "catch-all" for everyone right down to the "Radical Faeries", but it is meant to be a reference point FOR the "differences".
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?
Pages: [1]   Go Up