Welcome, Guest
June 15, 2019, 08:08:59 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiritual Explorer Over Here  (Read 1239 times)

Aithne_Morgan

• Meṁber
  • Alder
Spiritual Explorer Over Here
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »

Hello,

My name is Aithne Morgan. I am a new college student (Theatre Design and Technology), a vegetarian, and I like fun as much as the next person. I say that I am a spiritual explorer because I am unsure if there is a religion for me. Upon investigation, Wicca seems about as close as I will get to my spin on faith. However, I intend to study it before committing myself further. It seems that enough people do not take Wicca seriously without me using it in some bizarre fashion without any real connection with it.

Perhaps you can help me decide if Wicca is at least something to look into based on the following:

*DISCLAIMER*
I don't know much of Wicca. I do not believe anything negative about the religion. My views on magic are the same as my views on prayer in Christianity. Some people expect the result to come without work, and some know it won't.

1. I have been agnostic for many years. I do not intend to let go of my firm belief that I will never truly know if there is a concrete God or Goddess or a plethora.

2. I believe in the divinity of the world around me. I think that even if there is no deity making things pretty in our world that the world itself and the experiences and sensations (by this I mean cool grass, the wind, the grating of cement, the smell of flowers, the night sky, and the sun on my back) it has for me could fill my soul up many times over.

3. Wicca talks about magic. I will never ever believe lighting a candle will bring me what I want in any direct form. It can put me in a mindset to work hard and bring myself good fortune. It can bring about the focus in myself to make things happen. I will not perform a ritual and wait.

4. Number two is the most important thing about my spirituality to me.

Thank you very much for helping me along my road.

Warm regards,
 Aithne

iridescence

• Rowan
Re: Spiritual Explorer Over Here
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »

Best wishes.  :)
Behold the harshness of light, embrace the comfort of darkness.

TBD

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »

Welcome! 8)

Don't fret about labels.  Why even pick one to begin with?

Aithne_Morgan

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »

Thank you for the welcomes!

TBD, I am not interested in labeling myself personally, but if there is a path that fits with me, I'd like to name it. It's mostly a convenience thing. I may never find a commonly used word for my spirituality, and that's okay, too.

I hope to learn more about everything here. I have been reading a lot and the conflicting opinions on all the nature religions become overwhelming. Fortunately, it seems the most confusing ones are the least respected by the community.  It's comforting to know that, in this circle, if it smells like dung, it likely is.

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »

... and dung is.... ??? bad ? or merely unpleasant but necessary? :D

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 06:57:33 PM »

Greetings
From what I read, wicca is not for you. It's a religion, with rules and dogma, and ritual, .........
Look up Animism. I think you might find it more in line with your thinking. But I could be wrong.

Aithne_Morgan

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »

Rules, dogma, and ritual do not bother me in the slightest. Expecting to have things done for me by a deity because I asked them to without putting forth effort does.

DRADIS

• Elm
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »

Aithne...you might try the World Pantheist Movement. Google pantheism and look for their [our, actually]web site. The name "pantheism" does not include any supernatural deities to us despite its literal meaning. We have an intense secular wonder at the cosmos and life processes, from yucky things in a stagnant ditch to distant galaxies. I read up on Wicca  some before running hard aground against the supernatural deities involved; I  have been atheist/non-theist for many years and can't get past that part. I respect their reverence for Nature and am delighted to have them around. At least they won't be handing out tracts or rounding up "infidels" like me.
Good luck with your search. Check out the pantheists.

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:40:07 AM »

Really, now, DRADIS... What do you claim to know about us? You may decide you would rather be rounded up as one of our infidels vs whatever the alternative may be for you.  :-p Interesting site, though.  8)

DRADIS

• Elm
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:27:56 AM »

iridescence...What I know about Wicca is from one of Cunningham's books, some Googling,  and mostly from this site. I learned enough to know that my non-theism [okay, atheism] would prevent my being Wiccan. I've spent nearly forty years in a technical paramedical profession; my scientific background makes me skeptical of the supernatural. But to be fair, a good scientist "never says never".
     My small study of Wicca led me to the pantheists and their secular approach to "nature worship", for which I am grateful.
If Wicca ever became a mainstream religion, I think it would be the least likely to form the oppressive bureaucracy and mind-control apparatus of the Christian and Islamic religions. Not all Christians and Moslems are zealots, of course, but when headquarters puts out the party line it always seem to say "we live, you die", metaphorically or literally.
     Wicca seems to be a gentle, tolerant, and nature-centered religion, without the drive to "be number one" in weekly attendance or converts made. And no apparent desire to become the Official World Religion; hence my "round up the infidels" comment.

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 05:23:18 AM »

I admire your thoughts, they are well written. :) The one, well.. as there are several, but.... the one main thing about wicca, regardless of the potential red flags, that keeps me searching myself thoroughly is the necessary obedience to natural laws. I don't know much about wicca or wiccans but I came from strict fundementalism and, though it may be flawed, I liken the rede to the codes by which I have always lived by. I am not wiccan, but then I am also well undefined in many ways and within many levels.

As I come through finding different religions from around the world, the different revelations of truth and personal deliverance amaze me. The seemingly most extreme and possibly bazaar practices of other cultures obviously have deemed themselves necessairly fitting for whatever people they serve. Atheism is not the exception.
Pages: [1]   Go Up