Welcome, Guest
May 21, 2019, 11:35:36 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello there. :)  (Read 4505 times)

Old Stoneface

• Cypress
  • "I don't wanna be nice..." - John Cooper Clarke
Re: Hello there. :)
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »

OK, I was a little harsh there - I'd had a crap day. I understand that no racism was intended, but in my experience most expressions of prejudice are not intended. Howsoever.

What I don't get is something I've noticed among a lot of US citizens. There is a tendency to proudly display one's ancestry - I've met Americans who claim to be Irish or Italian, even if they've never been to either country. Now I see this thing about being ashamed of one's ancestry for one reason or another. What is so important about genetic history?

I can include Norsemen, Gauls, Turks, Kenyans and Moors among my ancestors, and none of it means anything. We can all trace our ancestry back to the same roots if we go back far enough. My homeland was abandoned by the English and occupied by the Germans within living memory, yet I bear no grudges because what is past is past. Please people, can we not live for today together, without inventing spurious clubs or tribes that will just divide us? In "The Sirens Of Titan", Kurt Vonnegut calls such groupings "granfaloons" and uses the Hoosiers as an example. I just don't get it.

*breathes deeply* OK, rant over.

Oh, and I meant to say, welcome to TCC, WhiteRaven. You'll enjoy it here - I know I do.
"I don't believe we can move on spiritually until we rid ourselves of religion." - Stonefather III

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 12:23:37 PM »

What I don't get is something I've noticed among a lot of US citizens. There is a tendency to proudly display one's ancestry - I've met Americans who claim to be Irish or Italian, even if they've never been to either country. Now I see this thing about being ashamed of one's ancestry for one reason or another. What is so important about genetic history?

I don't think its unique to the States OSF, a bit more obvious perhaps as you have a greater volume of citizens. A lot of Brits go through a stage in their lives when they start to investigate their genealogy, perhaps starting to feel their mortality? I don't know. I have done it a bit myself with my own family tree, didn't get too far though.

I'm thinking the human condition has something in it that requires us to feel rooted to something, a sense of where one comes from if you will, and to some degree a feeling of great pride in the machismo of who they are descended from. The Scots and the Irish have a marvelous pride in their Celtic history for instance, and it is displayed for all to see, even to this day.

As to the shame part of the past, that could relate to attitudes. In practically every country in the world, us Scots are appreciated and loved where as the opposite end of our country (England) are really quite disliked. There are various reasons for this of course, look at your own historical fight for Independence, who were your people fighting against? Scotland is still screaming for Independence from England even now. How long did England hold on to Hong Kong, India and Australia as dependants of the "Brittish Empire"? and so on it goes. When it comes to football (soccer) English fans visiting other countries have created a reputation for themselves as hooligans. Its a very sad state of affairs and one that is not easy to live down. I will of course emphasise at this point that I do not hate the English, I have English in me as part of my own heritage.

What is past IS past, yes. But as long as you have "peoples" there will be a desire for their heritage to be matched against others.... "my big brothers bigger than your big brother".
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

WhiteRaven

• Hawthorn
  • Magick Is Everywhere, Never doubt it.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Stoneface. :) I already like it here!

To me genealogy is special because I in some way get to know who my ancestors were. I've traced my dads grandmother on his mothers side family all the way back to England in which they owned a large piece of the land there and by large I mean huge pretty much. How they claimed it I have no clue. Their is even a castle over there in which was from one of my ancestors. Hopefully one day I can go there and visit it just maybe. If its not been torn down or anything of sorts.

And my moms side on my grandmas side traces all the way back to Daniel Boone and Pocahontas along with Inca Royalty.(Apparently I'm a Inca Princess. Nothings in stone of course.) and we also go back to the Mayans.

In the end, everyone is rooted to everyone like Stoneface said. But it doesn't stop people from hating each other or anything sadly... Its just not how it works on earth at least.

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »

In the end, everyone is rooted to everyone like Stoneface said. But it doesn't stop people from hating each other or anything sadly... Its just not how it works on earth at least.
John Lennon - Imagine

Pretty much sums up what I'm feeling on this particular response, go listen to it if you aren't specifically familiar with the lyrics.
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Old Stoneface

• Cypress
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »

Yeah, I understand what it is you're all saying,but I still don't see it as important enough to judge, or wage war over. I'm not saying any of you do, just that it happens, and I don't get it. It saddens me.

Draconis - I'm not American, either. I'm from the Channel Islands.

lucifer - familiar with the lyrics to Imagine? You have no idea how much.
"I don't believe we can move on spiritually until we rid ourselves of religion." - Stonefather III

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 01:26:39 AM »

OSF, My sincere appologies, no offence was intended.  :-\

Wow, the Channel Islands. You must have some amazing waterside scenery, cliffs and cracking shorelines. You're not cluttered with city life there. Touch of envy is in order there I think  :-p :) :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »

I am just a "mutt" American. :-p  I do hail from The Republic of Texas. :-p
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »

I am just a "mutt" American. :-p  I do hail from The Republic of Texas. :-p

;D  Okay EBS, as a ""mutt" American", have you ever felt the curiosity of your past ever tugging at your shoulder? For some reason I get the feeling that Texans aren't drawn to distant ancestry so much as others. I could be wrong of course, but I sense a more secure connection or belonging with Texans to the "Deep South".

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »

My Father's side of family came to America from England in the 1690S.  My Mother's side came from Poland in early 1900s.  I actually grew up in GA.  The war of Northern Aggression wages on to this very day. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:46:54 AM by Earthbound Spirit »
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Old Stoneface

• Cypress
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »

OSF, My sincere appologies, no offence was intended.  :-\

Wow, the Channel Islands. You must have some amazing waterside scenery, cliffs and cracking shorelines. You're not cluttered with city life there. Touch of envy is in order there I think  :-p :) :D

None taken, DR. Yeah, we have some of the best cliff scenery I've seen - and I've been around a bit. We also have a huge density of neolithic sites, and a lot of history. It's a good place to live. As for not cluttered; 62,000 folk on a rock of 40 sq miles, well, all I can say is it's nice to get away occasionally. Not been to Scotland yet, but it's near the top of the list  ;)

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

My Father's side of family came to America from England in the 1690S.  My Mother's side came from Poland in early 1900s.  I actually grew up in GA.  The war of Northern Aggression wages on to this very day. 

Wow, you seem to already have a handle on your distant past after all. Thats cool.  ;)  We do seem to reach a point when we kind of, need to know these things.

Your "war of Northern Aggression" does seem to equate to our North South divide in this country, sometimes its difficult to let go I suppose. I feel we will always have this though. When the film "Braveheart" was released there was such a surge of National pride for a while I thought myself that there were bound to be some English tourists who were going to have a pretty rough visit. However, that didn't transpire (so much the better) and things quietened down again.  ;)  You may find the same ongoing twitches for many generations to come yet.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »

None taken, DR. Yeah, we have some of the best cliff scenery I've seen - and I've been around a bit. We also have a huge density of neolithic sites, and a lot of history. It's a good place to live. As for not cluttered; 62,000 folk on a rock of 40 sq miles, well, all I can say is it's nice to get away occasionally. Not been to Scotland yet, but it's near the top of the list  ;)

I think as one who appreciates landscape as you seem to, you would enjoy Scotland, we have so much scenery and history to offer. A lot of ruins and old hill forts, it's all quite fascinating. No matter how long you are here you could never cover everything.

I had no idea you were so heavily populated... WoW  :o  That is hard to take in. I must google details sometime  :D

I have never been fortunate enough to be very well travelled at all, Majorca and Spain I'm sorry to say have been my limit. There are so many sights I would love to see and experience in so many countries, I think it would take a lottery win to accomplish ;D  Maybe one day if the Godess and God willing.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up