Welcome, Guest
July 17, 2019, 02:19:45 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from an eclectic witch!  (Read 1520 times)

Zachski

• Meṁber
  • Alder
Greetings from an eclectic witch!
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »

So yeah, where to begin... :D

I've been interested in the occult since I was a little kid.  Sadly, the conservative Christian environment I was in dissuaded me from exploring this.  Things kinda came to a head when I was about 14 or 15.  Dissatisfied, I started looking into Wicca.  Then I realized that it wasn't what I was looking for (at the time) because I wanted something I could do without leaving Christ, so I looked into Christian Witchcraft.

However, I couldn't bring myself to actually do anything about it, so I squashed my desires for a long time.

Many things change, though.  Most of which is that my environment is no longer conservative nor Christian.  And now that I'm finally free to seek my own path, I began by essentially drifting from path to path.  I tried out witchcraft, and I really enjoyed it, but I started to doubt myself because it was so "trendy" and "mainstream" and stuff.

I always looked for a form of spellcraft, but I could never really get into anything.  It doesn't help that I suffer from quite a bit of depression.

While adrift in the sea of life, I re-examined my thoughts.  What was my first love?  What religion would I have chosen if I had the ability to choose?

And now here I am.  Thanks to some medicine I'm taking, my depression is no longer the millstone around my neck that it was before.  I am exploring Solitary Wicca, but I don't know enough yet to call myself a "Wiccan".  For that matter, I don't know if I'm going to agree with everything I read.  And since I don't know where the line is drawn between "Wiccan" and "not Wiccan", nor do I know who draws that line, I'm not sure I'll even call myself one.  I do know that the idea of worshiping the Lord and the Lady does not feel nearly as "trendy" and "mainstream" as it did before (my apologies for almost certainly insulting people here -- these are my former viewpoints, not my current ones.  They were ill-formed based off of what some people here would call McWiccans.)

I am, however, already beginning my journey for witchcraft.  I have been doing much study into it, both online and in books, and I've been consulting a variety of sources, not just one.  And they've been a great inspiration, though I've made sure to construct my own rituals, and follow my own heart on this matter.

I've also been blessed in that, over time, I've naturally obtained items that fulfill the needs and wants of my altar.  I have a letter opener for an athame, a brass pot for a cauldron, and so forth.  However, the nearest and dearest item to me is my apple wood wand, which I got from the apple tree in our back yard. (I did ask permission, and it was granted, though it sure made me earn it.  I left an offering of compost for it, and I plan on helping keep it in better shape.)  It took two days of effort to carve the wand out of the branch I got, but it was well worth it.

I understand that athames and wands are not necessary for casting spells.  All that's necessary is one's self.  However, I am still new at this, and I will admit, I enjoy having the things.

I have to tell you, traveling down this path has been a busy week, but it has been so worth it.  It feels like my life has obtained meaning again.  I'm trying to be careful not to rush it, though.  I have Scott Cunningham's Wicca: Guide to the Solitary Practitioner, and I intend to begin reading it shortly.

Non-spiritually related, I am a huge fan of dragons and video-gaming.  I'm pretty geeky. :D

Sorry for that doozy of an introduction, I've just had a lot to say since I first applied for membership XD

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Greetings from an eclectic witch!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:58:14 AM »

Well met and welcome to TCC Zach, That was some intro... ;D  Well done.

To begin with, you won't have offended any of us, we are all accepting of other peoples paths, we all know everyone has their own journey and we all travel it in our own ways ( if you offend anyone they'll soon let you know  :o :o ). and secondly, don't worry about labelling yourself, when your following reveals itself to you, you will know. Some of us don't use labels at all.

As to the line between what is and isn't Wiccan, that is an age old debate that will probably never be resolved  ::) , so don't worry to much about that. We do have Christian Witches here too so if you feel drawn to that path then I'm sure you'll gain what knowledge you seek.

The depression thing; you'll find some of us have been there, some worse than others, so no need to feel like your alone, many of us understand only too well how that story plays out.

As for the rest of it, just let it happen and remember there are no time limits.

Now for my usual(ish) welcome; Just read the older threads on this site, you will find much information that will help you, read as much as you can (Cunningham is a great start) and study hard. If you get stuck then just ask and someone will help, and feel free to join in or share with us what you will. Oh yes; pay particular attention to the stickied threads, they're there for your guidance.

Welcome be and Blessed be.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Zachski

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:37 AM »

Thank you :)

Sadly, in regards to Christianity, that ship has sailed without me a long time ago.  I don't think I could go back even if I wanted to.

That being said, I have no problems sharing space with Christians :) After all, I did use to be one, and I know the difference between fundamentalists and non-fundamentalists.  Or at least I think I do, haha.

I know I shouldn't worry about labels, but... labels are kinda nice.  They make organizing things easier.  I like organization.  Is it obvious that I have OCD yet? XD

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:53:11 AM »

Yup, some of us used to be Christian, me included. But fear not Westboro hasn't managed to infiltrate our hallowed halls, well, not yet anyway.... ;D ;D ;D

Those that follow the Pagan path, are very accepting of other religions and callings, just a shame the respect wasn't mutual.  ::)

Humans seem to have a need to label and categorise things, us Dragons have never understood that!  8) 8)

Any way, while you're here, just be who you are. I'm sure not many of us will throw stones at you, not big ones anyway.  :o :o :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »

Welcome to TCC Zachski. Enjoy your time here. I rarely throw stones and I'm often as tolerate as possible of others opinions. I look forward to talking to you.

Goddess bless
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »

Nice intro Zachski.  Welcome to TCC.  Enjoy your journey.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »

Greetings Zashski , hope you find things that are right for you .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Rowanmarie

• Holly
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »

Welcome Zachary :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up