Welcome, Guest
November 14, 2018, 06:24:26 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Stonehenge  (Read 11982 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Stonehenge
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »

Stonehenge; a place of great awe and wonder, but also a place of great spirituality, recognised the world over for its links to ancient Pagan Britons. Approximately 5000 years old, and celebrated by Pagans to this very day. Wondrous in its enormity and mysterious in its substance and purpose. Even though considered Druidic, it holds much for many Pagans

What significance does Stonehenge hold for you in your path? Although this forum is predominantly American, perhaps this place means something special to you. Would you consider a pilgrimage at some point? would you merely visit in passing? Give me your thoughts and lets discuss its significance both in origin and its latter day existence.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Stonehenge
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »

I have always wanted to visit Stonehenge. It's one of my favorite places in the world. It's full of mystery and wonder for me. We forget the ancient people were as intelligent as we are, they only lacked technology. Or technology like we have. Manpower made up for that lack. It would have been great to watch it being built. Was it built when the Druids and Celts came to Briton? Or thousands of years before?

I would like to visit, but it is so far away, that is not likely to happen. When I was in the UK for Samhain last year there was no time for sight seeing and I
 feel I lost my chance. But who knows what the future holds.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

WickedSky

• Fir
  • HIGH ABOVE AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »

Stonehenge would be a great place to visit. If I ever have a chance I would love to sit in silence there and meditate. You never know what secrets could  be unearthed. Its intriquing to say the least.
Some things gnaw at a man worse then dyin

Thorn of the Rose

• Fir
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »

I LOVE Stonehenge; I adored it even before I started on the pagan path because it's so mysterious and fascinating. We know so much about it and yet so little and I like the fact that anyone can like it for any reason just because of that. It's a wonderful place to visit - the atmosphere is incredible even when it's crawling with tourists. I definitely recommend a visit to anyone (especially once they've improved the visitor centre...  ::) )
"And I'm sure there was blood in the gutter from somebody's head, or else it was the sunset in a puddle."

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »

A few other snippets of info for you all;

There is evidence that shows that Stonehenge was actually in use 4000 years earlier than when the stones were constructed. It was revealed that posts were erected in a crescent, the post holes are in evidence and there is organic material revealed to be wood.

The "Sarsen"  stones range from 7 tons to 45 tons, and the "bluestones" that mark the perimeter weigh in between 2 and 4 tons each.

There are 43 bluestones in place but it is believed (not proven) that there were in fact 80. The "Bluestones" are believed to come all the way from the Preseli hills in Wales; as there is no evidence of this particular stone anywhere nearer.

The entrance to the stones is in alignment with the rising sun on Summer Solstice and at the opposite side, a perfect alignment with the setting sun of Winter Solstice.

:: ETA; all information comes from varying sources and is collated for your enjoyment.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »

I would love to visit and a few other sites in England.  Maybe I will someday.  :-\
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:17:06 AM »

Unfortunately, the National Trust has restricted access to the stones now. You may walk around them within a certain distance but you cannot get close enough to touch them. The restrictions are lifted on Summer and Winter Solstices and the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes. They felt that so many people touching them was causing erosion...... :-p

Oonagh

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »

Stonehenge is a bit like the Grand Canyon for me.  Overwhelming.  It has this vast sense of being and it makes me feel very small and very vulnerable.  The energy is amazing, I cannot deny that and the stones themselves seem to sort of hum.  Taking it all in at once can be a lot. 

I personally prefer the smaller dances scattered elsewhere thruout England, Ireland and Scotland.

Xicked

• Hawthorn
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

Unfortunately, the National Trust has restricted access to the stones now. You may walk around them within a certain distance but you cannot get close enough to touch them. The restrictions are lifted on Summer and Winter Solstices and the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes. They felt that so many people touching them was causing erosion...... :-p

I visited Stonehenge in 2009 and our guide mentioned that people would chip off small pieces of the stones to take home.  I could see areas that looked like graffiti had been cleaned off as well.  It might be for the best that the stones aren't accessible. 
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable." - Albert Einstein

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:51:14 AM »

I visited Stonehenge in 2009 and our guide mentioned that people would chip off small pieces of the stones to take home.  I could see areas that looked like graffiti had been cleaned off as well.  It might be for the best that the stones aren't accessible.

Happy birthday Xicked, hope you had a great day yesterday. Yes isn't it always the way that these sad individuals spoil it for others with genuine interest?

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »

That is very sad to travel all that distance and not be able to touch them.
I'm sure many people would love to get their hands on a chip of Stonehenge.
           ::)
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »

And therein lies the problem! Too many people want a chip of Stonehenge. if they did brass rubbing maybe that wouldn't be so bad, but people were chipping the stones.

poppylou

• Willow
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

How did i not know it was open on solstices? XD I was born about twenty minutes from stonehenge, and i've never been allowed to go see it before. When i was younger, a lot of people hung around there with torches and chanted a lot, i now assume as some sort of celebration, but a lot of the locals were scared that they were satanists or something, so none of the kids were ever allowed to visit :'(
"To see a world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour." - William Blake

Xicked

• Hawthorn
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 11:16:26 PM »

Happy birthday Xicked, hope you had a great day yesterday. Yes isn't it always the way that these sad individuals spoil it for others with genuine interest?

Thank you Drac!

The National Trust should create a story la Pele's Curse
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable." - Albert Einstein

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »

Drac does the fence go out pass the older wooden circle ?.
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up