Welcome, Guest
August 24, 2019, 09:43:57 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worshiping Across Pantheons  (Read 1834 times)

callisto

• Elm
  • Wisdom begins in wonder.
Worshiping Across Pantheons
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »

I'm a relative newcomer to this path, despite having been drawn to it for years without ever acting on it.  I'm working through how think about the gods, how to approach them, who they are.  I've loved the Greek pantheon since I was a child and identify with several of the Olympians as spiritual beings.  But I'm also drawn to the Norse gods and that worldview.  I can't imagine it truly matters in the scheme of things, but it feels slightly odd in some ways to worship different sets of gods.  Maybe this is just a holdover from my Catholic upbringing that demands loyalty to one alone. 

Anybody else have similar feelings/thoughts?
My, what a lovely girl. How could her king have left her?

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Re: Worshiping Across Pantheons
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »

Do you worship them as a NeoWiccan, eclectic pagan, or other?  It's a little hard to answer that without some context.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:28:10 AM »

My patron goddess is Danu and I work mainly in the celtic pantheon.  However, I have worked with deity from various pantheons.  I work closely with Eris and Gaia at times.  I have done rituals enlisting the aid of Kali.  I ALWAYS have a token for Elohino on my altar.

I've found over the years that most people work their way around the various pantheons when they first start their journey and eventually settle on one or two patrons they work with pretty exclusively.

You do need to be careful and do your research.  You wouldn't want to say combine Loki and Eris in a ritual.  In this instance two negatives will not, I promise you, make a positive. 

Otherwise, research and pray.  Danu came to me in a vision.  I wasn't actively seeking her, or any goddess for that matter when it happened.  One will come to you and then you will know.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

callisto

• Elm
  • Wisdom begins in wonder.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

Do you worship them as a NeoWiccan, eclectic pagan, or other?  It's a little hard to answer that without some context.

I guess I'm an eclectic.  I haven't defined myself.   :-\

Otherwise, research and pray.  Danu came to me in a vision.  I wasn't actively seeking her, or any goddess for that matter when it happened.  One will come to you and then you will know.

Thanks for that; good advice, I'll take it.  :)
My, what a lovely girl. How could her king have left her?

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:34 AM »

Another suggestion: If you feel strongly drawn to a god/dess, do a lot of research.  Look for primary sources in myths and in the cultures they sprang from. You may find their titles, functions, likes and dislikes entirely different than you thought.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »

Danu came to me in a vision.  I wasn't actively seeking her, or any goddess for that matter when it happened.  One will come to you and then you will know.

Diana.  Same story.  BUT...She is known in the Greek pantheon as Artemis.  She, the huntress, is represented in most pantheons.  Here's the catch:  There are some very subtle differences within the archetype.  Those differences matter.  Understand them thoroughly.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »

I will look for those subtle differences C_A thank you.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

SquareC

• Rowan
  • The Great and Broken Purple Ninja! Blessed Be!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »

I have quite a few friends who worship across pantheons. With some prayers and spells, it is common to choose the most appropriate Goddess(es) and God(s) for the best results.

Diana.  Same story.  BUT...She is known in the Greek pantheon as Artemis.  She, the huntress, is represented in most pantheons.  Here's the catch:  There are some very subtle differences within the archetype.  Those differences matter.  Understand them thoroughly.

This is the best advice you could possibly get. There is no such thing as too much research on the subject of Goddesses and Gods, especially if you intend to include them in your prayers or when casting a spell. As C_A so wisely pointed out, those subtle differences can affect the results of a prayer/spell, sometimes drastically.

I can't imagine it truly matters in the scheme of things, but it feels slightly odd in some ways to worship different sets of gods.  Maybe this is just a holdover from my Catholic upbringing that demands loyalty to one alone. 

I'd say that's exactly the case! ;D I believe that all prayers are directed to the same great Divinity. We humans are much to small and limited to comprehend the whole of the Creator, we worship the face(s) that we perceive and relate to best. Many pagans worship one or more pantheons. You aren't alone in this!  :D
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open!

Life is not about waiting until the storm is over, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Pages: [1]   Go Up