Welcome, Guest
August 18, 2018, 01:18:30 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Eclecticism in the Craft  (Read 18512 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Eclecticism in the Craft
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »

I would be interested in what others have to share or input to this.

Witchcraft is an eclectic following; why? Simple. Witches will take what works and adopt and use that, what works for some Witches, may not work for others.

Now, I'm not going to say any more than this, I'd like to open up for discussion and personal opinion. The topic is comparative and reflective so there is no need for any upset, this is entirely based on individual views, perhaps a little comparative thinking.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Re: Eclecticism in the Craft
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »

Witchcraft is the practical application of magic.  Now High magic, such as is practiced in Catholic mass or Wiccan ritual follows a set form that bonds the celebrants and deit(y)ies in a specific spiritual way.  Low magic has much more lattitude though there do seem to be magical principles that are universal.

Some would challenge the notion that High and Low magic are necessarily separate.  I know witches from religious paths would certainly challenge it.  Hmmmm, any takes on this?
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »

Drac, I hope my post was on track with your topic.  I'm tired and my mind connected it with something I've been thinking about.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »

It ties in nicely actually Ashe, In fact I wished I had proposed the original question similarly.

The inclusion of High manage to the discussion serves to expand on the OP.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:45:28 PM by Draconis Rex »
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »

Hhhhmmm , Witchcraft is the practical application of magic ?? I guess this would be in the eye of the beholder. I don't necessarily agree with this description . And I think father Patrick would stroke out if I told him someone described mass as a high magic ritual. lol.. When daily routine has become the ritual because of the way an individual has made ritual into there daily routine, does this change the parameters of a specific magical principle or does the daily repetition actually strengthen the value of the working because it is consistently refreshed or reenergized . Not saying that a spell of routine outweighs a working of ritual or religious celebration. My point being is the notion of high or low workings would deal more with the context of the ritual than a set form of worship. I am a Witch. I do workings on a daily bases . Some large some small . Two aunts one uncle one surviving grandparent, seven or eight cousins and two of my children are witches. My mother could never make up her mind where she fell in the whole scheme of things. she became comfortable with Christian witch. Then she changed her mind again. I grew up with routines that were just normal everyday occurrences in our lives . When I was older I discovered  these routines were actually rituals that not everyone did or accepted. So would these seemingly mundane rituals be considered high or low magic?
              And Drac you are absolutely correct what works for some does not work for others. In one of the good fathers and my lovely little discussions , he called it the power of repetitious numbers. As far as the Christians are concerned. For witches and wiccans and pagans the same principle applies, there are just a lot less of us.
              Is there a difference in living a path and practicing a path? Does the difference make one more eclectic than the other

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:40:00 AM »

I think if the everyday rituals had a mundane, everyday goal in mind it would  be low magic.  Low is just a descriptor, it doesn't make it lesser. You weren't specific about what the rituals were designed to achieve so it's kind of hard to say.

Father Patrick might stroke out, but the Eucharist is an almost perfect example of ritualistic cannibalism since the priest is considered to have literally changed the wine and wafer to the blood and body of Christ.  If that isn't High Magic, what is?

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »

Since eclectic witches use what works for them, does high or low magic  need to be labeled as such?
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »

They're just labels to clarify one from the other when discussing magic.  Neither is "better" they just have different functions.  High magic connects you to the divine and low is designed to make more mundane changes.  Some would argue there's a lot of overlap. So it can be irrelevant to eclectics, the terms are just to help people communicate better.  I think the connotations of the words high and low are off putting but they aren't value judgements.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:41 AM »

Changed my mind.

Sorry, can't delete my posts.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Micheál

• Orange
  • Yeeeooo!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »

For the Craft in general, it depends on your own paradigm. If you follow a certain tradition, then you'll naturally follow what the tradition entails. If you do not, then there's a lot of room for eclecticism. With all the various practises out there, there are many walks, and a lot to choose from.
Semper Fi

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »

while I searched I was confused. when I stopped and just began emanating what came naturally, my magic took off. there is only so much you can get fr reading/movies/external stuff. takes courage to step out. just do it.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »

I have thought on this for a while this morning and this is the only comment I will make.

I find this attitude towards witches and witchcraft highly insulting, I'm actually so angry I'm shaking.

Thanks for belittling my path as if it were a bit of fluff.

~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:52 AM »

excellent restraint, khara. hope you weren't talking to me! if you were, I've missed something.   ;D

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

excellent restraint, khara. hope you weren't talking to me! if you were, I've missed something.   ;D

Never you sf.

:)

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »

Never you sf.

:)
as someone who frequently questions if I got the right point, i'm glad. knowing you better, a bit nyway, I figured you would tell me. all my teachers have a snarky side which I love. keeps me sharp.   :-*

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up