Welcome, Guest
August 15, 2018, 04:20:42 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Eclecticism in the Craft  (Read 18452 times)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
Re: Eclecticism in the Craft
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »

Is there a difference in living a path and practicing a path? Does the difference make one more eclectic than the other?

I'm not sure you can practice a path without living it... just my $.02, but what would be the point?  Seriously adopting a path isn't like joining a club, or being a Sunday Christian.  We can choose a path, but more often, the path chooses us, sometimes much to our surprise.  Sometimes we're deflected by somebody else's moral compass instead of following our own.  Practice what you feel; if ya don't feel it, practice it until you do, or forget it.   
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »

I have thought on this for a while this morning and this is the only comment I will make.

I find this attitude towards witches and witchcraft highly insulting, I'm actually so angry I'm shaking.

Thanks for belittling my path as if it were a bit of fluff.

I'm still thinking on it.

How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »

The whole point of this topic was to promote discussion, comparison of views and to educate where knowledge may be lacking. There was no intention to belittle, degrade, or insult anyone or their path. This was stated in the opening post!

How many times has peoples views over Wicca/wicca/wicce/etc. been discussed, questioned and opinionated over? How is this any different? I want people to talk and share more.

Instead of taking umbrage, put forward a point of view so that others may gain from it. The whole point of this forum is to teach and to learn and to compare, and there are great teachers here if only they would.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »

DM , I apologize if it was I you have sharp disagreement with. And I definitely was NOT trying to insult anyone's belief or witches or witchcraft. The point behind my semi coherent ramblings was trying to make some gears turn. The high low perspective might have been the sore spot. Better to leave it out then I will not differentiate personally. What I practice and believe and teach is what it is. It is important to me. No more no less.
     As it has all ready been stated, there are as many paths as there are people to follow them. Ashe , I did not say you were wrong about the Catholics in your example . I just said they would fall over themselves if they actually heard you say they were working magic. :) 
     I went back for the fourth time and read what I wrote yesterday. And well , if it was I that insulted someone then please point it out. Once again that was not the intention. And if it was one or more of my opinions you disagree with , good! point it out , give your point of view.

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »

And if you just need a dog to kick around a bit , well so be it . I have filled those shoes before as well.

Phoenix

• Oak
  • From the Fire I have Risen.
    • Home of the Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »

I look at it like this. Witchcraft is NOT an eclectic following, but paganism is.

In order for something to be eclectic there must be other options. Paganism is so wide spread and varied as a set of religions that there is a lot to take from many diffrent paths. Witchcraft however is a set of guidelines, they cannot be altered or changed, they are there and if you are a witch than you follow them. I know that this is a horrible analogy but I think it is like riding a bike, there is one way to do it and thats it.

I consider myself an eclectic pagan, this is because I take my religious views from many different places, but i consider myself a witch in trraining because i learn the real ways to use magic not any new age neo-Mcwiccan Bullshit.

Just because something "works for you" does not mean that it does not work, just means that it is another form of magic that you are practicing that has already been practiced before in the craft. And to start doing things differently because they are easier, new, or because you like it better, will put us all in the boat of 13 year olds saying they are witches to scare their parents.

Sorry for the rant, just my two cents. 
I went to the Woods to front the essential facts of life. - Thourou

WARNING: Every five hundred years or so I spontaneously combust. The time is nigh get close at your own peril!!

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:43 AM »

Good point.  I've come to think of the term Eclectic Pagan Witch as a term of exclusion, meaning those witches who are not BTW, Voodoun or other established traditions.  But that leaves me with a question.  Would Recons consider themselves eclectic? Probably not  Could you change your statement to Neopagans are eclectic or would you disagree

I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph.  Are you saying that all witches use the same system of magic?  Because there are common principles, but practices of spellcasting can vary widely.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »

Phoenix , Don't limit yourself by thinking witchcraft has a set of  strict guidelines. If there are any, they are so broad you almost cannot call them guidelines. Most of these so called guides are there because they have been self imposed for obvious or not so obvious reasons down the line. Wiccans seem to be the ones that  really imposed these types of guides , I believe because they felt a need for more structure.
   Or I may have misunderstood your meaning.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

The whole point of this topic was to promote discussion, comparison of views and to educate where knowledge may be lacking. There was no intention to belittle, degrade, or insult anyone or their path. This was stated in the opening post!

How many times has peoples views over Wicca/wicca/wicce/etc. been discussed, questioned and opinionated over? How is this any different? I want people to talk and share more.

Instead of taking umbrage, put forward a point of view so that others may gain from it. The whole point of this forum is to teach and to learn and to compare, and there are great teachers here if only they would.

I understand the point.  Contrary to popular belief I am not an idiot.

Umbrage? Too funny.  How many times have I been called upon because I caused someone else’s umbrage?  My point of view is slammed every time I give it. Did you forget who you were responding to?  It’s that horrible terrible bitch Khara. 

As for teaching, well, we can get into why I no longer teach any classes here if you want.  If you don’t I suggest you not chastise me on the subject in an open thread. 

My opinion is of no consequence on this subject.  I mean after all it isn’t like I’m a part of any “officially recognized tradition” such as BTW or otherwise.  I’ve also cut my ties to the coven so I’m no longer officially Wiccan. And it has been made quite clear those are the only ones that matter right?  Kind of leaves me out of the whole thing.

One might stop and consider this though, for every “known” tradition of witchcraft, there are ten or more others that are strictly limited to the families or groups which practice them and have been doing so for decades.  Now I do not feel those paths are any less valid than the “official” ones but then again, I’m in that category aren’t I?

Let’s just put this out there and see where it falls.  The laws of physics and magic are the same for every single practitioner no matter how high a priestess they are.  High, low, up one’s ass it does not matter in magic.  The simplest ritual will achieve the same results as any elaborate ritual. 
As for witchcraft practitioners and deity, well, I will not go there because it is obvious people do not understand that most witches are as tied to deity as any Wiccan.

A path of witchcraft which is open to new ideas and practices, incorporating what works, and doing what it takes to accomplish one’s goals no matter if it is considered high, low, dark or light magics is actually a path that is more free than those which must abide by their rules and tenets to be a part of the group.  If the term eclectic must be applied, the so be it.  You can loosely associate it with the path I follow.  Though one could argue that when one draws from various forms of the same basics is that truly eclectic?  If one must define it, then it is what it is right?

DM , I apologize if it was I you have sharp disagreement with. And I definitely was NOT trying to insult anyone's belief or witches or witchcraft. The point behind my semi coherent ramblings was trying to make some gears turn. The high low perspective might have been the sore spot. Better to leave it out then I will not differentiate personally. What I practice and believe and teach is what it is. It is important to me. No more no less.
     I went back for the fourth time and read what I wrote yesterday. And well , if it was I that insulted someone then please point it out. Once again that was not the intention. And if it was one or more of my opinions you disagree with , good! point it out , give your point of view.

And if you just need a dog to kick around a bit , well so be it . I have filled those shoes before as well.

Not really sure how to respond to this.  As I did not specify any one opinion or comment the question is, do you feel you insulted witches who are not a part of an “official” tradition in your comments? 

As for the dog kicking comment, I have no idea what to say to you and not be a complete bitch in what I say so I’m just going to let that go.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »

Now feel free to carry on.  Maybe there is another witch, not wiccan here who can better answer these questions.  We have a few BTW's around don't we?  A vodoun practioner or two?  I KNOW we have a couple of Druids. 

I'll be in the corner with the other "eclectic" witches doing the same thing the official witches are doing, probably better and with the same or better results.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »

...How many times have I been called upon because I caused someone else’s umbrage? 

All of 'em.

(hey...just bein' ME, m'lady...)
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »

...How many times have I been called upon because I caused someone else’s umbrage? 

All of 'em.

(hey...just bein' ME, m'lady...)

snort

giggle

:-p

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »

@Shadetree, I read your post and I see what you mean. I put a different spin on the sentence about Father Patrick than you intended.
I know Eclectics may connect with deity too, but I only know my own path's liturgy, praxis and ways of communing.  If it can be public, maybe some Eclectics or other witches could talk about how they approach their god/desses?
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »

Every ones opinion is of consequence if we are to learn. That was an area I lacked in at one point in time. I learned better :)

I directed an apology in your direction because you were the only one that seemed unhappy at that stage of the thread. Did not want it to be derailed that fast if it could be avoided. I don't think I insulted anyone, personally . And if they were. Grow up. As far as the dog to kick , well.. classical reference. That was pretty much for anyone to vent there disagreement with what I had posted.

Do you think individuals who must abide the set rules and tenants of a group or coven hinder there own ability over a long period of time?
A coven and I parted company because our ideals of what was important in the path of the group had taken very different turn from what was important in the paths of individuals.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 09:49:37 PM »

I have never been in a group ( besides this one) or a coven. I have visited a coven for a very short time, but have felt no need to return. I have always been solitary and see no reason to change. I have studied and dedicated my self to Wicca for nearly 19 years. My approach to the God and Goddess and all Goddesses I call upon is the same. I am Wiccan and witch everyday and
do what is needed daily. As a witch I feel no set guidelines. I do what must
be done in whatever way I feel is needed.

Shade, in answer to your first question yes it is possible. But if these individuals are happy with the path their group has taken, it is their decision
to stay. Each makes their decision to stay or leave. I feel what is best for the individual is what should be considered.

Our paths find us and may change many times on our journey. It is what it is. Our spiritual growth is the most important thing.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up