Welcome, Guest
May 25, 2018, 12:24:11 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Eclecticism in the Craft  (Read 17291 times)

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
Re: Eclecticism in the Craft
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »

I suppose I am more Eclectic Witch than Wiccan as I do not follow any specific tradition nor belong to any official coven.   I practice the craft in the way that works for me.  I gave up following others ways a long time ago. 
 I do not think of magic as high or low, dark or light, it just is.  This is one of those times when I think practicing solitary has its benefits.  You find what works for you and depend on yourself alone.  You become one with your magic.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »

I suppose I am more Eclectic Witch than Wiccan as I do not follow any specific tradition nor belong to any official coven.   I practice the craft in the way that works for me.  I gave up following others ways a long time ago. 
 I do not think of magic as high or low, dark or light, it just is.  This is one of those times when I think practicing solitary has its benefits.  You find what works for you and depend on yourself alone.  You become one with your magic.

Thanks Arn I couldn't say it better " You find what works for you and depend
on yourself alone. You become one with your magic."

Being solitary offers freedom to be who you are and gives us a chance to have faith in our works. The benefits are endless. I would not mind being called an Eclectic witch. I don't know if someone would say that doesn't work with Wicca or not ?
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »

as a Christian, I'd have to say I'm also fairly eclectic... who woulda' thunk it.
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Micheál

• Orange
  • Yeeeooo!
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 02:18:14 AM »

Speaking of Vodun, I know of west African migrants now living here that have,(over time as they're very secretive) started mixing and personally sharing sharing information about practises with a selected few occult shop owners, who have in turn adopted some of their practises, and shared some of this island's magical practises, including each others' deities that have been cross pollinated and syncreticised with certain saints.

Ceremonial magicians also have adopted different systems as well in personal use. In the magico-religious spectrum,  whether its a simple folk tradition, or a more eloborate ceremonial theurgy, (Wicca contains both) both are formulaic, and follow a set pattern in the practise, wahstever that may be. Some of them have evolved into set traditions, and others eclectic by nature, like other arts including martial arts, music, e.t.c.
Semper Fi

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 04:16:34 AM »

@Marisol, I think most Wiccans use what works in their personal practice and in spellcasting whether they're in a tradition or solitary.  Contrary to popular belief even Traddies have few constraints when they are not with their covens.  So why not? It only gets sticky if you're following a Tradition with a certain praxis and you're working with your group.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Phoenix

• Oak
  • From the Fire I have Risen.
    • Home of the Phoenix
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »

Phoenix , Don't limit yourself by thinking witchcraft has a set of  strict guidelines. If there are any, they are so broad you almost cannot call them guidelines. Most of these so called guides are there because they have been self imposed for obvious or not so obvious reasons down the line. Wiccans seem to be the ones that  really imposed these types of guides , I believe because they felt a need for more structure.
   Or I may have misunderstood your meaning.

Allow me to refrase with a question. What would everyone use Amathyst for?
I went to the Woods to front the essential facts of life. - Thourou

WARNING: Every five hundred years or so I spontaneously combust. The time is nigh get close at your own peril!!

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »

Amethyst is used for calming and for emotional balance.  It's useful for recovery from addictions.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »

A question for you Phoenix, tell us about what you would use sodalite for?
Or Barite?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:45:56 PM by marisol »

What do you seek?

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »

what she said.  I'm eclectic, no BS-ing, do what works witch. I found my path many y ago, was aided by firesong, keysol. red cedars, ebs, CA, BMO, and others etc BUT it was AFTER I put in my own time. I use no dogma or recipes, not even my own(shock/horror here) and my BOS is only to remind of certain holy days  and stuff.  my gods are not a req for my magic, understanding of the univ. is. personally, I feel my gods are none off your beeswax, as I do not mix my faith with what IS.  my .02

did I answer th ?

ETA: so glad I found WC, as a lot of our friends are fr RSI and the fluffies live in that cage. I could never tolerate the fluff.  besides your magic does not depend on your faith.....unless you think it does.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:41:17 PM by soulfire »
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

Phoenix

• Oak
    • Home of the Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »

A question for you Phoenix, tell us about what you would use sodalite for?
Or Barite?

Honestly Marisol I have no idea, but I do believe you have missed my point. What I was getting at is that there is one answer to both of our questions. There is one use for those things and going with something else in its place will get you a different effect. How can witchcraft be eclectic when this "do whatever feels right" philosophy obviously does not work. Paganism however, being a group of religions, is entirely based on faith. Therefore it is possible to follow your feelings and form a solid base of beliefs. And now I turn to my original point, I do not see how the craft ca be eclectic, but paganism can.

I am not really sure what the hostility is for Mari, care to explain.   

WARNING: Every five hundred years or so I spontaneously combust. The time is nigh get close at your own peril!!

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »

No hostility Phoenix, never for you. Just trying to show you that substitutions are possible. When medicine men or healers need help they call on their sister earth and brother rocks. Often times they use what ever stone ,etc. is available for help. The magic is within and without above and below. Research those minerals see what they can do.

Blessings

What do you seek?

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »

Phoenix, there are Eclectic Pagans but not all pagans are eclectic.  Recons for example would not be eclectic. Though there are uniting principles in the way people practice magic and what makes it effective, still this is not universal.  Chinese magicians would approach a magical problem very differently than for example most Wiccans. So I'm not sure your statement holds up.

No offense Phoenix but I love debate so counter arguments would be great.  What do you think?

Phoenix

• Oak
    • Home of the Phoenix
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »

Ashe, There is no debate there, I completely understand that not all pagans are eclectic, there are plenty of people that follow one tradition British Traditional Wicca, Shamanism, Druidism, I mean technically are Buddhists and the like not pagans as well?

The best analogy for my point is this. Across the world there are millions of different martial arts, but when you learn basics, even though the movements may be different is subtly ways, the fundamentals are all the same no matter what style you are learning. In my experience witchcraft is no different.

However I would like to point out something Ashe, you being up wiccans and chinese magicians, and yes they would most likely approach a situation in two very different ways, this is because of more factors than just the craft. Chi Gung and Wicca are heavily influenced by thier religion, wicca/budhism or shintoism or taoism. so of course they are going to approach this from different ways. 

If you are going to really try and compare magical principals across the world you need to get rid of the religious aspect and focus on the actual craft itself. I think you would find a lot of similarities. 

I was the president of the debate club in highschool lol I always love a good debate so long as everyone is an adult about it lol.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »

Forgive me for saying but, by your analogy the term eclectic becomes a redundant word. You can equate the Martial Arts by their fundamental influence and you say the same of the Craft. by the same token we can do this with many other influences and disciplines.

By eclecticism I mean that we take parts from other to make a whole. For my part, I will take some of what I've gained from Khara, some of what I've gained from OldGhost and other things from others here on these boards, I will put them together as I find what works for me from each of our contributors. Now Khara and OldGhost may have similar aims but will do things in different ways, this is because they come from different disciplines and their results may be as close to similar as makes little difference. The methods Khara may use may not work so well for me, whereas to accomplish the same result, OldGhosts method may be more in tune with me for some particular thing.

Buddhism is not really a religion in the usual sense. It offers no salvation and requires no faith in any supernatural being. Buddhists actually accept members from many different faiths.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »

Forgive me for saying but, by your analogy the term eclectic becomes a redundant word. You can equate the Martial Arts by their fundamental influence and you say the same of the Craft. by the same token we can do this with many other influences and disciplines.

By eclecticism I mean that we take parts from other to make a whole. For my part, I will take some of what I've gained from Khara, some of what I've gained from OldGhost and other things from others here on these boards, I will put them together as I find what works for me from each of our contributors. Now Khara and OldGhost may have similar aims but will do things in different ways, this is because they come from different disciplines and their results may be as close to similar as makes little difference. The methods Khara may use may not work so well for me, whereas to accomplish the same result, OldGhosts method may be more in tune with me for some particular thing.

Buddhism is not really a religion in the usual sense. It offers no salvation and requires no faith in any supernatural being. Buddhists actually accept members from many different faiths.

agreed. by ectectic I mean I take what works from many traditions b/c a witch is one who acts and works in harmony with the universe, unconcerned w/ HOW they do it. it is not my religion, hence dogma of any sort has no place. it may be different for one who proclaims themselves Wiccan, which does have accepted ways of doing witchcraft.

climb out of the box and look around!
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up