Welcome, Guest
May 19, 2019, 05:35:03 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to the Past  (Read 2174 times)

Gimli

• Orange
Back to the Past
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »

Christmas and Yule coming up!
Wait, what? Santa and elves and reindeer not your thing?

Aha! How about going back to the origins of Santa and learning about Nicholas and Krampus then.

And, to pique your interest and start you off researching, a nutshell on Krampus and a pic from the first annual RVA Krampusnacht!

While Nicholas gave presents/food to good boys and girls, his opposite Krampus would switch and sometimes take away naughty children!

And now, a pic from last nights walk! (That's me with the red face and large staff w/ cowbell)

Have fun learning about a still practiced belief today in some Germanic/Austrian cultures!  :)
Not all those who wander are lost.
~J.R.R.Tolkien

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.The sinners have much more fun!"
~Billy Joel  Only the good Die Young

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Back to the Past
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »

.... And a very becoming picture of you it is too.... LoLoL  ;D ;D ;D

What a joy it is to see you back Gimli, I hope you have been well?

I am familiar with Krampus and his somewhat dubious exploits, I often thought we should have had something similar ourselves instead of good old Santa handing out lumps of coal... ::)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MoonlitWings

• Birch
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »

Lol! omg didn't know that xD Only knew of the origin (somewhat) of Nicholas. That's so cool Gimli. Welcome back. I showed my sister and she had this look on her face like "what the..why are you looking at something like that? " It was funny.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »

Love it.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

behindstarryeyes

• Orange
  • Amaris
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »

Gimli...would that RVA happen to be my RVA, Richmond?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Gimli

• Orange
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

Gimli...would that RVA happen to be my RVA, Richmond?

Why YES! Yes it would!!!  ;D

.... And a very becoming picture of you it is too.... LoLoL  ;D ;D ;D

What a joy it is to see you back Gimli, I hope you have been well?

I am familiar with Krampus and his somewhat dubious exploits, I often thought we should have had something similar ourselves instead of good old Santa handing out lumps of coal... ::)

Ain't it though? LOL!!! Hopefully next years will be a truer mask and costume.
And I am doing well, thanks. Hope all is well with you also, and everyone else on the site!
~J.R.R.Tolkien

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.The sinners have much more fun!"

janeileen

• Elm
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:35:53 AM »

Krampus would be a cousin to the Pennsylvania German Belsnickel. Usually a family friend would dress in a huge furred overcoat and hat, carry a bag of candy and trinkets over one shoulder and a staff in the other hand and would trek the rural roads to treat the good children and chastise the naughty ones. The good children would grab the loot the Belsnickel threw on the floor and the naughty ones would have to do tricks, sing songs or recite poetry. I have read stories of some actual beatings but that is rare. These days the Belsnickel might appear at a party or lecture at a school on how it "used to be."

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

Gimli love the picture.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Gimli

• Orange
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

Krampus would be a cousin to the Pennsylvania German Belsnickel. Usually a family friend would dress in a huge furred overcoat and hat, carry a bag of candy and trinkets over one shoulder and a staff in the other hand and would trek the rural roads to treat the good children and chastise the naughty ones. The good children would grab the loot the Belsnickel threw on the floor and the naughty ones would have to do tricks, sing songs or recite poetry. I have read stories of some actual beatings but that is rare. These days the Belsnickel might appear at a party or lecture at a school on how it "used to be."

Basically yes! All depends on the area the tradition is from but Nickolas supposedly had several "companions" as they were called.
The biggest difference in Krampus and the others is he was the only one who, with the exception of two or three areas, was distinctly "non-human". Most places he is some form of devil (for descriptive and figurative). Many places also had him more friendly and not as "demonic" as implied. The way to tell Krampus from the other close type "companions" is he should be the only one with the long tongue hanging out.

Gimli love the picture.

Thanks Marisol!

OH! I realized I left an honorable mention out....the lady with the horns and black face, behind me and left in the picture, is my wife.  ;D
~J.R.R.Tolkien

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:39:30 PM »

LoL.... Hope she forgives you for the omission  ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

Krampus is a love bunny compared to Nackles.  Nackles rides the rails underground with flesh eating goats to come up and grab naughty children.   Some days in my class though .....  Na-ah, but they are convinced I have Santa's phone number. That works wonders.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Gimli

• Orange
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »

Krampus is a love bunny compared to Nackles.  Nackles rides the rails underground with flesh eating goats to come up and grab naughty children.   Some days in my class though .....  Na-ah, but they are convinced I have Santa's phone number. That works wonders.

Oooooh!! Definitely looking Nackles up....definitely.
~J.R.R.Tolkien

Pages: [1]   Go Up