Welcome, Guest
October 16, 2018, 08:22:35 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer?  (Read 4726 times)

thefourelements

• Cypress
  • Know that you are loved.
Prayer?
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

Sorry if I used the incorrect word, as you may know I am new. I was curious as to how one should finish off a prayer to the God and Goddess? (Christian background here, apologies if it is not called prayer in witchcraft/Wicca/paganism.) Also how to finish off a written cleansing "prayer" (or whatever it may be called, I hope you all understand what I'm talking about). I wrote a cleansing "prayer" for my altar and tools, and a cleansing and dedication "prayer" for my Book of Shadows, but do not know how to finish it. By finishing it, I mean where a Christian might say "amen" or such. Once again, I apologize. This may indeed be a very stupid question and/or offensive. Thank you in advance for any help!
"You're as beautiful as you were yesterday" ~"Scars" by SayWeCanFly

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Re: Prayer?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »

Many people end with "Blessed Be" assuming your practice is modeled on Wicca.  Nothing offensive that I can see about your question, it comes up a lot. Pagans have different attitudes about their interactions with the gods being called prayer.  If you're new this shouldn't be a big issue but you may (or may not) see things differently when you're down the path a little way.

"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

Often a spell or ritual, which is essentially what you are doing, may be closed with the words "so mote it be". This is a way of enforcing your will upon your working. It's not always necessary to call upon the Goddess and God to aid in your workings, a lot of what you do is done by yourself through yourself. You manipulate the energies around you and you act as a conduit for this. If you are asking a blessing then you are referring to your deities.

To be honest with you though, you are new and however you do it will not offend your Goddess and God, I believe they are very forgiving and appreciate your efforts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

thefourelements

• Cypress
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:47 PM »

Okay that makes a lot of sense, thanks Ashe and Drac!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:06:10 AM »

TFE our ancestors prayed to their gods. The word prayer is not derived from
Christianity. I use the word myself, I find nothing wrong with using it.
Many pagans may not like it because they feel it is too Christian. 

Blessed be is also used as a greeting. You may substitute blessed be with
blessings or bright blessings as a way of saying I wish you well. As Drac
said, "So mote it be" is used for spells or ritual also.
Use the words you feel comfortable with. As has been said you will do no
wrong.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

thefourelements

• Cypress
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

Thank you Mari, I thought prayer might still be a piece of pagan religions.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »

You can also close with saying something along these line , " as this ritual , ceremony , blessing is closed let it not be broken . "
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

thefourelements

• Cypress
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »

You can also close with saying something along these line , " as this ritual , ceremony , blessing is closed let it not be broken . "
Hmm I actually quite like that OG, thanks for sharing. I will have to store that somewhere for future reference! :)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »

I can't speak for other pagan religions, but here's where the concept of prayer in Wiccan practice can get sticky with some folks.  Prayer implies that you are entreating the deity to change things with her/his power.  The relationship of Wiccans to deity is more of a symbiotic relationship where we need each other, and many Wiccans prefer to work WITH a deity and see themselves as holding some power in what is actually a transaction.  Petitioning, making an offering, bargaining with a god/dess is more in keeping with many Wiccans' attitude toward asking the gods for assistance.  There's psychologically less of an attitude of supplication and more toward creating a mutually beneficial relationship than prayer would imply.

Just food for thought while you're thinking on this topic. It proves that when you get five pagans together you'll get six opinions (at least!).

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

LOL we are all different are we not. ;D 

Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »

...and thank the gods for that!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »

I like the way you put that Ashe, sums it up rather nicely I think.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:05 AM »

Reviving a very old thread, but!

I've been thinking about my thoughts on prayer? I guess is how you'd say it  :-p Because the word (for me) does hold Christian/negative connotations,  but I know that's something I need to get over. I know plenty of pleasant Christians with whom I have no quarrel (I was just raised in one of the wacky offshoots).

I'm reading The Circle Within, and Sylvan makes a big deal out of prayer, and even uses some Christian practices as a good example to follow, and I wondered what other people's thoughts were.

I can't speak for other pagan religions, but here's where the concept of prayer in Wiccan practice can get sticky with some folks.  Prayer implies that you are entreating the deity to change things with her/his power.  The relationship of Wiccans to deity is more of a symbiotic relationship where we need each other, and many Wiccans prefer to work WITH a deity and see themselves as holding some power in what is actually a transaction.  Petitioning, making an offering, bargaining with a god/dess is more in keeping with many Wiccans' attitude toward asking the gods for assistance.  There's psychologically less of an attitude of supplication and more toward creating a mutually beneficial relationship than prayer would imply.

Just food for thought while you're thinking on this topic. It proves that when you get five pagans together you'll get six opinions (at least!).

This was very helpful, Ashe. I think I had in my mind that "prayer" is akin to begging. I'm asking, but don't deserve the help, and probably won't get it (Can you tell my previous religious experiences left a bad taste in my mouth?). But really, it can just be a shared conversation or communion.  :)
~There she weaves by night and day~

Kiara

• Willow
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »

I thought Scott Cunningham had something interesting to say about prayer. The following quote is on page 46 of his book The Truth about Witchcraft Today*:

"Prayer is the quintessential example [of religious magic].  When an individual fervently prays for a healing...the devout person directs personal power through the prayer and out to Deity.  The person's emotional involvement in the prayer 'programs' the energy being sent forth.  The hoped-for result is, of course, a manifestation of the blessing being prayed for.

"Unless the person praying is trained in magic, she or he isn't consciously aware that this process is at work.  But this is unimportant.  Prayers offered by devout persons of any religion are often answered.  These prayers are effective because their personal energy, attuned with their magical need, is released toward Deity, and empowered by this larger energy source, manifests in Earthly form.  The person's emotional state and belief in the Deity determines the effectiveness of the prayer."

*Cunningham, Scott. The Truth about Witchcraft Today. Llewellyn Publications, Woodbury, Minnesota, 1988.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

LOS , thousands of years before the Christian religion came along people where praying to what every the believe in . Don't think of it in Christian terms after all it not the first thing they stolen  from others .

When pagans pray they ask for little , just to be in harmony or to help others heal . What they do is for the benefit of all life . When Christians pray they ask for themselves , they beg plead for more then they should have . Like whining little brats . Pagans ask for only what little it is that is needed . While Christians are slaves to their god , Pagans walk side by side with theirs .

That's just how I see it .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up