Welcome, Guest
October 19, 2019, 05:50:55 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: An Introduction  (Read 2565 times)

Veelay

• Fir
  • Veelay Mre'Ahrotahn, Soul of the Outworlder
An Introduction
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

Ah, where to start? I am Veelay. In my life I have traveled no farther north than DC, no farther south than Atlanta, and no farther west than the mountains of Tennessee. I know very little of my family's history, only that my father's side of the family moved here from Ireland in the 1700's. I was raised a Methodist Christian, although my household was not religious, being the child of a chemist and a doctor, and I stopped going to church at a very young age. My method for coping with life has traditionally been a strictly rational mindset and an obsession with logical and objective reasoning, like Dr, Brennon from Bones. Recently, after returning from a year at college during which I barely scraped by academically, I started hanging out with a group of people not far from my hometown, "friends of a friend", I suppose. I quickly grew to like them very much, and have spent as much time with them as I can, and have been curious about their Pagan beliefs. Now, I never would have expected to be drawn to anything spiritual, since I've spent my life pushing away all forms of spirituality on principle. However, I can't deny how the time I've spent with them has made me feel. I think the turning point was on Halloween. We decided to go for a walk in the woods that night. It was a new moon, and therefore very dark, and we found ourselves lost almost immediately. We eventually found our way back to the house, and spent the rest of the night much like we usually had. The air of excitement, though, and perhaps even unease, remained until I left. The next time I was there, I remember one of my friends, who goes by Phoenix on this forum, telling me how spiritually significant the night had been. I had found him to be an excellent conversationalist, and found it easy to open up to him in the absence of the person who had introduced us, whom I was worried would not know how to react to my recent considerations, having known me so long. In any case, I told my friend, Phoenix, with no small amount of difficulty on my part, that I was in fact interested in Paganism, and that I somehow felt it could be very beneficial to my life. We talked some about the subject, then and during the months that followed, whenever I got the opportunity. I realized that Paganism has had an inkling of a presence in my life during the past couple of years through people I had known. Both of my romantic interests in recent years, which I never felt the need to pursue, had actually been witches, I think, although I had thought nothing of it at the time. Well, months have passed, and that initial feeling has not left me. If anything it has grown stronger, a desire to know things greater than myself, to be close to them, to share this with my friends, and others that I may meet. The realization that I have always been somewhat drawn to things of this sort did not take me quite so off guard as my initial interest in becoming involved with Paganism. I think it is time that I explore this.

So, hello everyone. I'm new here. I hope to learn much.
"I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written." - Atrus

pzoconnor

• Fir
Re: An Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:11:33 PM »

Hello there, we're excited to have you  :)

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »

Hello Veelay and welcome to the forum. Feel free to look around, there's a lot of good information here. I'm new to Wicca, only a few months into my year and a day, and I've learned a lot from reading the posts here. The search function is very good and can help you find a lot of information. And, if you can't find something, the members here are very helpful.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »

Hi there V, welcome to TCC. I hope we can help you to discover your path, we have much here to offer. If you don't feel clear at first don't worry, sometimes it takes time to find your way, it can be that way for many. There are no time limits though, so no rush, just take your time. In the meantime, enjoy your time here with us.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MoonlitWings

• Birch
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »

Welcome Veelay, friend of Phoenix lol. Nice to meet you. Please enjoy your stay with us and good luck on your journey, wherever it may take you. If you have any questions or need someone to talk to, don't be afraid to ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and we can all learn from each other.

Veelay

• Fir
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »

So, I must ask, where do I start? I've done a fair bit of browsing and searching around the forums, and everything I come up with is aimed at beginning Wiccans, which does not interest me. I am the type of person to take things slow, sometimes VERY slow, hence why it took some months for me to get to this point. I don't expect to wake up tomorrow morning and start performing rituals. I'd like to start simple, by incorporating some form of spirituality into my daily routine, whether it be prayer or worship, meditation, or talking with some sort of mentor, just to see what happens, to see if I can find guidance somewhere. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about what I'm getting into here. Perhaps someone could just point me in the right direction?
"I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written." - Atrus

MoonlitWings

• Birch
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

Is there a specific path you're interested in Veelay? Even if a lot of the topics are aimed at Wicca, there are still practices within it that is found in a lot of religions and paths, like herbalism, incense, meditation, visualization, stuff like that. Even the "Year and a day" can also help one with guidance. Its not just a Wiccan thing. The only advice I can give is read as much as you can on different spiritual paths and see what calls to you. Sorry if I'm not much help to you.

Veelay

• Fir
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »

I'm not sure of any specifics, only that I'm not terribly drawn to the more modern paths. I'm more interested in the traditional. I think perhaps I should talk with my friends about it.

MoonlitWings

• Birch
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »

Ah alright, that seems like a good idea. Phoenix can also help as well. You can also browse the forums and different paths will present themselves to you in time. Again, my apologies. The more knowledgeable members may be able to help as well. I'm still too new to know as much. Just giving my 2 cents and be of help a little lol.

Veelay

• Fir
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »

That's alright, I hardly expect everything to become clear in a single night. I appreciate your input. :)

MoonlitWings

• Birch
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »

Well it could happen, epiphany moments and whatnot ;) and you're welcome.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:34:32 AM »

In fact V, Moon put it very well already. The advice we give to all new seekers is to read, read, read and once you've read all you can then read some more. It's how many of us started out. As to your path, that will come to you in it's own good time. Nobody says it's going to be easy, and the path you are embarking on will teach you something new all the time; you will spend the rest of your life learning in fact.

Walks in the woods, next to rivers, by the sea. simply enjoy the walks and try to connect with nature herself, there's your starting point. And once you have started then everything else will follow.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »

Welcome Veelay, nice to meet you. Nice intro.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

gwargeek

• Cypress
  • walking the path of Wicca to soothe my soul
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 03:48:18 AM »

Welcome Veelay. :)

Veelay

• Fir
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »

Thanks, everyone! I'm very excited about finding my path. There's so much that I want to look into and maybe even eventually try. Today, I greeted the morning (well, mid-morning when I woke up) with a few words to the God and the Goddess. It's been so long since I've done any prayer of any sort, and it feels very rusty, but I know that will go away soon. So, here's to all the days that will have a similar start, and I'll see you all in the rest of the forum!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up