Welcome, Guest
July 19, 2019, 09:37:27 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total newbie here.  (Read 1389 times)

Subcreator

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • "Everything you know is wrong." -- Weird Al
Total newbie here.
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:45:44 PM »

Hi, I'm Tom. You can call me Subcreator or Tom.

I'm actually pretty nervous joining the forum. I haven't studied Wicca at all, and that's actually why I'm here. I want to learn more about it. I'm a thirty-year-old crazy cat guy with two adorable rescues, a long-haired calico named Binky and an orange and white spitfire named Carly. (There's also a long-haired black and white named Tabitha who comes around when the weather gets bad.) My wife and I live in Arkansas, and here's where things get interesting.

I'm coming out of the Christian traditions, and that's where most of my nervousness comes from. I won't get into it all here, but suffice it to say that, while I love the tenet of "love your neighbor", Christianity has not held enough answers for me. I've simply seen too much to ignore that there is more to the spiritual world than what I was always taught.

I'm also an aspiring fantasy novelist. In fact, the name Subcreator comes from Tolkien's idea of subcreation in the form of fantasy worlds. My almost fundamentalist family cared for fantasy a little more than they cared for my constant curiosity about points of theology.

I guess the biggest issue with me is the fact that, although I have really rejected the idea of being a Christian, I need some form of spirituality in my life. I am simply unstable without that. Another issue is that that I not only graduated from a Christian university and that I'm still a stone's throw from the campus, but also that the people there are my primary support (including helping out with food costs). It makes looking into other religions rather awkward. I mean, I wouldn't want to start trouble by going up to a Bible professor I'm friendly with and mention that I'm studying Wicca.

Heh, I don't even know where to look.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble, so I'm just going to leave this here for now. Anyway, here I am, hurting, passionate about life, searching for peace, and trying to hold onto my dreams.

MoonlitWings

• Birch
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
Re: Total newbie here.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »

Hello there and welcome to the forum ^-^ oh my gosh, Binky and Carly sound like adorable cats!

Please don't feel so nervous joining the forum. The members are like family and are will to help newcomers out. I would recommend looking in the Newbie and Wicca Q & A section to start. I would also recommend using the search function if there is any particular info you're looking for. If you can't find the answer to something, don't hesitate to start a thread in appropriate section and ask away. There are many members who would answer your questions to the best of their abilities. Please check out the Wiccan Book Recommendations because there are a lot of books there to help get you started learning about Wicca.

The "mantra" on this forum is "read, read, and read some more" lol. Its so true xD so welcome and happy reading. Many blessings Tom and good luck and have fun on your spiritual journey.

Valerie

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »

Hello Tom, am quite new here too, yes read lots x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:37:53 AM »

Merry Meet Tom!  Thank you for rescuing cats in need, a biggie with me.  My suggestion:  You have a lot on your plate right now learning a new path and sorting through plenty of personal and religious baggage.  Now is not the time to discuss Wicca with your Christian friends.  At this point you most likely don't have the experience to calmly explain Wicca and refute any preexisting negative attitudes they may have. Losing your friends or everyone getting upset could be a crushing blow.  Awhile down the lime you will probably have enough experience to know what to expect, field questions, and have a circle of pagan friends for support.  Even then, entirely your choice if you want to come out of the broom closet, you are under no obligation.
Anyway, the people above gave great recommendations.  Feel free to ask questions and we are all here to help.
Blessed Be...
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »

Welcome to TCC Tom. Very good intro, and it's nice that you included a little background. I think
you will fit in well here. You love cats and so do I. If you need anything, just yell. There is usually someone around that will help. Read, read, read. :)
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

gwargeek

• Cypress
  • walking the path of Wicca to soothe my soul
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »

Hello Tom, and welcome to the forum.Please dont be afraid to ask for help.There is always someone here with the answers, or information that you are seeking. :)

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:25:46 AM »

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. I've only recently begun studying Wicca and have found this forum very helpful. There's a lot of good information within the pages and the books that are recommended are very good (I've picked up several already).

I also grew up in a Christian home (Catholic). I'd listen to the others suggestions and refrain from coming out of the broom closet at this time, no sense stirring up a hornets nest until you've learned more about the path and decided whether or not it's the right one for you.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »

Welcome to TCC Tom :)
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Subcreator

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »

Thank you, everyone. I'm feeling a little less nervous. Part of my nervousness is the fact that the very act of questioning was always put down as sinful. I also don't know where to start. I'd like to try to get a book on it, but my wife and I can't really afford it. Would the posts in the Q&A section be a good place to start?

MoonlitWings

• Birch
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

You're welcome and no problem about not being able to afford it. You can also check out books at the library if you want (depends on if they have them at a local library) or even a second hand book store. There is even this website that has books for free to read on different paths and topics: http://www.sacred-texts.com

Like I said in my previous post, good places to start would be the Newbie section, Wicca Q & A section. They are great places to start as a newcomer lol.

Subcreator

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

Oh, and my wife is supportive of my search. She's planning on starting an account once we can get internet. (We don't have good connection and home, and we're iced in.)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

Thank you, everyone. I'm feeling a little less nervous. Part of my nervousness is the fact that the very act of questioning was always put down as sinful. I also don't know where to start. I'd like to try to get a book on it, but my wife and I can't really afford it. Would the posts in the Q&A section be a good place to start?

Questioning is only sinful to orthodox Christians... Jews always question, and are encouraged to do so; Jesus was a Jew after all...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous
Pages: [1]   Go Up