Welcome, Guest
May 25, 2018, 12:22:37 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How does a wicca pray  (Read 3952 times)

Jamni90

• Pine
How does a wicca pray
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »

Just curious, or is it just ritual based way of worship ^^

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: How does a wicca pray
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »

You may speak to the god and goddess anytime at any place.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

MoonlitWings

• Birch
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

Prayer is a personal thing, different for each individual. Some will do full on ritual based prayer, others will just talk out loud to the god and goddess as though they are friends. Some complex, some simple. Its different for everyone. Hope that answers your question.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »

Though we may seek intimacy and commune with the gods, especially during ritual, we don't pray as such.  We may meditate, though, and take time to honor the god(s) outside ritual as well as within.  Prayer implies an inferior position and that one is appealing to an outside force.  Wiccans see the gods more as being within us as well as without, and we work in respectful partnership with them.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »

Very well said Ashe.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

Thank you!  I'm going to add something here.  We do sometimes petition the god(s) for a boon or a favorable outcome on something.  This may include some "bargaining" that would be pleasing to that deity, or a calling in of past favors. This can be tricky and demands that the petitioner understands that deity very well, and holds up his/her end of the bargain without fail.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
  • I've always lived for and by the special ...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »

Just curious, or is it just ritual based way of worship ^^

Some individuals or traditions (such as Feri) may incorporate prayers into their work. (Victor Anderson used to say, "Every poem is a love letter to the Goddess.") The Witchcraft prayers of Sybil Leek are a good example. They do tend to seem more like invocations than prayers per se. This type of spiritual- or religious-based magic, which supplicates or invokes the help of various deities, is known as theurgy. Sybil was a theurgist.

The prayers and invocations from the Carmina Gadelica are also sometimes utlized by Pagans, and Wiccan author Mike Nichols shares his "Pagan Carmina Gadelica" on his website (recommended).

As well, the Orphic Hymns, and the poems and prayers of Aleister Crowley, such as his famous "Hymn to Pan" (read at his funeral) or his Adorations of the Sun. As Crowley explains:

"The Magician addresses a direct petition to the Being being invoked. But the secret of success in invocation has not hithero been disclosed. It is an exceedingly simple one. ... The whole secret may be summarized in these four words: 'Enflame thyself in praying.' ... The Mind must be exalted until it loses consciousness of self. The Magician must be carried forward by a force which, though in him and of him, is by no means that which he in his normal state of consciousness calls I. Just as the poet, the lover, the artist, is carried out of himself in a creative frenzy, so must it be for the Magician" (Magick in Theory and Practice).

Crowley is probably quoting the famous mage Abramelin, who wrote:

"Commence your prayer with fervour, for then it is that you will begin to enflame yourself in praying, and you will see appear an extraordinary and supernatural splendour which will fill the whole partment, and will surround you with an inexpressible odour, and this alone will console you and comfort your heart ..." (Sacred Magic of Abramelin).

There are eleven short "collects" or "prayers" in Crowley's Gnostic Mass, including collects to the Sun, the Lord, the Moon, the Lady, etc.

The Chaldean Oracles also say to "invoke often" (quoted in Westcott's introduction to the oracles).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:39:52 PM by Kuerden D˙ghlas »
"Witchcraft fulfills a need in me to know that harmony can be created from discord."--Sybil Leek

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »

Dang, I meant to bold this part of Crowley's quote, above, for emphasis: "Enflame thyself in praying." (I don't have editing privileges yet.)
"Witchcraft fulfills a need in me to know that harmony can be created from discord."--Sybil Leek

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »

"The Magician addresses a direct petition to the Being being invoked. But the secret of success in invocation has not hithero been disclosed. It is an exceedingly simple one. ... The whole secret may be summarized in these four words: 'Enflame thyself in praying.' ... The Mind must be exalted until it loses consciousness of self. The Magician must be carried forward by a force which, though in him and of him, is by no means that which he in his normal state of consciousness calls I. Just as the poet, the lover, the artist, is carried out of himself in a creative frenzy, so must it be for the Magician" (Magick in Theory and Practice).

Is this a basic explanation of "gnosis", as in the context of casting a sygil?
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »

Is this a basic explanation of "gnosis", as in the context of casting a sygil?

Gnosis literally means "knowledge." I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about drawing a sigil, as in a magical square? That's simply a method of focused concentration to tap a particular energy (planetary, angelic, or other) to help you achieve your desired end.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »

Does it not all help to achieve a desired end? In all the different ways in this world we reach out to the divine do these methods not
achieve what we desire?

In ritual, meditation, or simply speaking to the god and goddess and feeling a connection do we not achieve what we desire? Does the
method we use matter?

What do you seek?

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »

Does it not all help to achieve a desired end? In all the different ways in this world we reach out to the divine do these methods not
achieve what we desire?

In ritual, meditation, or simply speaking to the god and goddess and feeling a connection do we not achieve what we desire? Does the
method we use matter?

Yes, but I think Firesong was asking if Crowley's dictum "Enflame thyself in prayer" is the same thing as "gnosis" (knowledge) or constructing a sigil, such as a magical square (click link for more info). If I understood his question correctly. I'm not sure I do, which is why I asked for clarification.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »

Sorry Kuerden I should have explained myself. I was not answering FS's question. I was asking you these questions to better understand your post. I apologize for not clarifying that.

What do you seek?

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »

Sorry Kuerden I should have explained myself. I was not answering FS's question. I was asking you these questions to better understand your post. I apologize for not clarifying that.

All I was doing was offering a perspective on the original post asking how prayer fits into witchcraft, and suggesting some examples (such as Sybil Leek's prayers and invocations), as well as quotes on the topic from various authors (e.g., Crowley, Abramelin). I'm not sure what all the confusion is about. If people are experiencing difficulty understanding my post, I could go through and explain point by point?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:03:31 PM by Kuerden D˙ghlas »

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 01:04:31 PM »

Oops. Don't know what happened. Nothing to see here. LOL. Response in progress. Stay tuned ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up