Welcome, Guest
June 18, 2018, 11:37:50 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How has your pagan path changed you?  (Read 2796 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
How has your pagan path changed you?
« on: May 10, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »

Boy, when I look back to my Seeker days I cringe. There is no 'Noob" question or belief I didn't inflict on my poor pagan teachers, in my case a pair of Wiccan HP/S's.  They were extremely patient and kind, for which I am grateful.  How have you changed?  What have you learned on your Path? Is there anything about your Seeker days you'd do differently now?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:47:55 PM by Ashe Isadora »
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: How has your pagan path changed you?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

Simply put? I'm not the know it all I thought I was.....LoL. What I knew then was all wrong, the knowledge was there, but it was mixed up with plenty of bull. it took a while to filter it all. It was also a long time before I committed to my path, so I think what I would change is that I should have committed many years sooner. I had no one to answer my questions, all info I got was self gained; hence the reason I had so much to filter later.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »

My seeker days started with a book given to me by my Mother.  It took many years before I took that knowledge and seriously studied it.  I wish I would have sooner.  I have learned that my path took me the way I was suppose to go and the delay in my learning was for good reason, I was not ready.  I have changed in many ways, the most obvious is in patience.  I no longer expect any answer to be the final one, it will always give me more questions; and the learning continues.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

Missed out the other part of that post, What has it done for me? Well I used to be a very angry young man, very short fuse and very destructive. It took me a long time to learn to control all that, but in the latter years, I gained a great deal of patience and tolerance and it was because of my (what I now call, perceived) path and my actual path, that I was able to become more tolerant. It also taught me to shield against the negatives life tends to throw at us, attitudes, peoples opinions, presumptions and the like. These days it only occasionally slips but I catch it and correct so the neg doesn't irritate me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Inge

• Rowan
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »

Could someone possibly define what is meant by "pagan" here on the board?

I had always understood it to mean "country dweller".... granted, further detailing variant cultural influences.

There's little to no question that I came from the woods. It seems it should have been more country than woods but we would nest further back into the thicker growth during certain times of the seasons, accordingly. However, after marrying, I was forced to recognize the vast difference between a "country dweller" and being more from the woods. I'm not sure if I will ever be a "country dweller" in the ways some seem content to identify themselves with. I still prefer the woods.
Reveal this to me:  Is your presence one of support and loyal admonition toward previlant peace or is your presence a warning of what is yet to come. 

Fear not the hand of death but rather the mind of torture.

~ M ~

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »

Pagan literally means country dweller, but a Pagan is one who follows an earth/nature based path. It could be Wicca, Shamanism, Asatru, Witchcraft, Voudon, Druidism and many more. Pagan is an umbrella term for all these religions/paths.

Inge

• Rowan
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »

So, then, in retrospect, Zoroastrianism is a Pagan path?

http://www.pyracantha.com/Z/zjc3.html
Reveal this to me:  Is your presence one of support and loyal admonition toward previlant peace or is your presence a warning of what is yet to come. 

~ M ~

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:58 AM »

Good question.  I'm going to consult The Oracle ( a historian friend of mine) and see what he comes up with. Anyone else with expertise here, feel free.

Inge

• Rowan
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »

Are Oracles observed among the board members with appreciation? Sometimes it seems that those capable of Oracular speaking are more condemned than reverenced.

Paganism has seemed to historically represent a type of rebellion against variant city ordinances. In some more obvious struggles the genetic predisposition for potential genomic errors were more prevalent in a more controlled populace. This means that some who thought themselves to be wiser by denying a flock-like level of obedience may have destroyed their own levels of future genetic potential in combating forthcoming climatic conditions, genetic mutations, viruses and diseases and such. Of course, the proverbial coin does flip both ways, however, and such rebellion can also be seen as a kind of beneficial fight for freedom.

~ M ~

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 06:48:53 PM »

My pagan path has shown me I only knew one side of life. That one side was uncomfortable,
the new side was an endless abundance of knowledge. An endless journey in time with no
regret.

My beliefs have changed, we all evolve, in some way. But this is a good thing for me. I don't
want to stand in one place only. There is no growth without change.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »

My pagan path has shown me I only knew one side of life. That one side was uncomfortable,
the new side was an endless abundance of knowledge. An endless journey in time with no
regret.

My beliefs have changed, we all evolve, in some way. But this is a good thing for me. I don't
want to stand in one place only. There is no growth without change.

Very well put. In fact, you could have this put on a T shirt.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »

;D ;D
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »

Okay,  Zoroastrianism is a paleopagan religion.  It's dualistic beliefs greatly influenced the Abrahamic religions but did not directly grow into them.  So, it's one of many pagan religions that influenced monotheism as we know it today yet would be considered pagan by Christians, Moslems and Jews.

This appears a complex issue and I hope I accurately reported the explanation by my religious history buff friend.  Any additions, comments or disagreements feel free.

Inge

• Rowan
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »

Okay,  Zoroastrianism is a paleopagan religion.  It's dualistic beliefs greatly influenced the Abrahamic religions but did not directly grow into them.  So, it's one of many pagan religions that influenced monotheism as we know it today yet would be considered pagan by Christians, Moslems and Jews.

This appears a complex issue and I hope I accurately reported the explanation by my religious history buff friend.  Any additions, comments or disagreements feel free.

:)  It's not my way to say someone else is wrong. Your history buff friend seems well educated.

I have a history buff friend, however, SHE is very feministic, old school style. I have another history scholar friend who is of Russian Jewish descent. I marvel at the knowledge they both seem to have indepedent of ever agreeing with one another. They don't have to, in my mind, because they come from such drastically different paths prior to having met me, and, now, the only commonality they have, outside of friendship with me, is that they live in the same area....

I work with an Iranian that is very staunch about her Zoroastrian roots. I admire a great deal of obvious cultural differences between us, however, one of the things I admire most is our entwined history in and by which she seems oblivious of.

Oops.  :) I almost did it again. I had another site to share, but I remembered better.  :)

~ M ~

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »

Inge, do you mean your friends disagree about whether Zoroastrianism is monotheistic, or pagan, or can't be categorized? Or that they don't seem to fit somehow into Zoroastrianism?  I'm not getting the gestalt of your post.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up