Welcome, Guest
June 17, 2018, 10:15:25 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello everyone! Super new here!  (Read 2487 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Re: Hello everyone! Super new here!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »

Thrift shops, dollar stores and garage sales are all great sources for Craft supplies. An odd observation of mine is that when people are new to the Craft, their needed items will just "appear" in the oddest places at affordable prices.  Books, too. The only stipulation is that you should not haggle with the sellers over Craft purchases. And some would say the chalice ,if you use one, should be the best you can afford.

If you're good at making things or adding to things you buy with carving, etc. it's all to the good.  The more energy (will and intent) you pour into your tools and just stuff, the more meaningful they will become in your practice.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

Depending on where you live, a lot of very good books are available in the local library system... I live in Colorado Springs, which tends towards conservatism and fundamentalism, but there's a very active Pagan community as well.

Check the library... I was amazed to find things like "A Witches Bible" by Stewart and Janet Farrar, as well as some books by Yasmine Galenorn (her non-fiction, now her novels)  She's a cool lady... used to talk to her on her forums, when she had time for such things... lol

This is a good link for general reading: http://www.sacred-texts.com/

Here's a link to Yasmine's site and her books on magic.  I read "Embracing the Moon" a long time ago, but while it's not Wiccan, it is very good for general Pagan concepts..

"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

kittenjitters

• Fir
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 07:53:09 AM »

I've gotten a few books from the library. But from reading and listening, I've wanted to mentally highlight a lot of stuff. So I'm going to get some for my personal library. Also, there is this craft store nearby that sells things made by local artists that's been calling my name. Maybe they'll have something good.

Awesome website! I'll have to look more into it after work.

Something fun and interesting I noticed: So I guess facebook bases it's ads and "suggestions" for groups and people on your browsing history. When I logged in yesterday, it suggested some Wiccan/Pagan group I join and it showed a few friends whom I didn't even were Wiccan were members.

While it was interesting, it made me think. What if they didn't want that as public knowledge?  :-\
This must be what going mad feels like.

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »

I agree, owning your own books is best. You can underline or highlight passages, scrawl comments in the margin, even tape in copies of relevant newspaper or magazine articles.  Borrowing from the library is fine, but they tend to frown on such additions to their books. Lots of stuff is available online, but again underlining or making notes is a bit difficult. You can always print out the good stuff, but those ink cartridges are terrifyingly expensive. It's weird that a set of ink cartridges costs almost as much as the entire printer....

Scouring secondhand bookstores can sometimes come up with surprising stuff. I've found some real treasures hidden away on obscure dusty shelves, and cheap too.

Welcome to the forum Kitten. There's lots of good solid information here.

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

kittenjitters

• Fir
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »

I'm heading to one shop today on lunch. I can't wait!
This must be what going mad feels like.

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »

Since I was young I just figured I was a weirdo nature kid and didnít think anything of it.

Me too! 

Welcome!  I am new also.  I've been reading a lot of informative threads here on this site that have helped me move forward. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up