Welcome, Guest
August 20, 2018, 04:52:52 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The approach of the First Harvest  (Read 3625 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
The approach of the First Harvest
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »

Midsummer has passed and the first of the harvest festivals is approaching. It's time to reap the fruits of our labors but there's a hint of sacrifices to be made and a slightly somber undertone to the holiday. The Underworld is preparing to open and summer will fade soon.

I love the harvest festivals (Lammas, Mabon, Samhain) largely because I'm a foodie and there's a lot on Gaia's table at that time. It's also a time of transition and preparation, abundance and preservation for leaner times.

Whether you celebrate Lammas, Lugnasadh, First Harvest or Harvest Home, what does it mean to you, personally and in your practice?  For those here who are not pagan, does this time of year have a special spiritual meaning for you?
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: The approach of the First Harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »

When you break away the crust, basically I am a simple man, and I tend to like things that way. For my part, my celebration of these times will be the same; simple.

Not so long ago I pulled out a huge compressed air tank and I had it cut down in size to make a forge (it never got used as such) so it now gets used as my fire pit. With this it is easier to celebrate the fire festivals with a small fire in this pit. The appropriate foods and drink will be present and I will sit and meditate on the time past and the darker months that will soon follow.

As a Solitaire I will likely be doing this quietly by myself, but I may invite a couple of friends to join me but again the celebration itself will be private to me alone. If my finances can stretch I will make some appropriate foods, i.e. bread, cake, earth food. Also being Scotland, the invites to friends will be weather dependant ....LoL

Mabon itself will be mostly meditative.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »

What does this time mean to me? As a Pagan I view this time much the same as other Pagans I guess, and as you rightly point out, it is a time of transition, and preparation for the fading of the summer months. It is also a time for appreciation for what we have been given.

I have to admit, sometimes I find it hard to relate my side to others as an Agnostic Pagan. (I really need to find another word, Agnostic has such negative undertones....LoL)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:16:14 AM »

My favorite sci fi author  commented (paraphrase)  "I don't know who's out there moving the universe around, I just hope they keep cranking".  Maybe you're a Heinlein pagan, Drac. I'm convinced Robert Heinlein was a closet pagan and he'd get a good laugh.

Here in the Midwest there's a general yellowing somehow in the environment around Lammas.  Lots of ripening corn, the prairie grass is browning out, the sky is less blue.  You can just feel a change coming.  I don't know if it's as obvious in Scotland.

I like your idea for a balefire!  I hope you enjoy.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »

;D Heinlein Pagan.... Love it! I might just adopt that. I haven't read any Heinlein for years although I do remember him having a quirky sense of humour.

I am fortunate in that I live in the country, so when the fields turn I do see that, and the trees when they colour. The city is a different kettle of fish though, I was born and brought up in the centre of Edinburgh, it was all about the calendar there; the grey tended to change to grey during seasonal changes....LoL.

I'll try and get a pic at some point of the fire pit, give you an idea what it is. It took a forktruck to load the thing into the car when I got it, and a forktruck to take it back out again. Even cut down it's extremely heavy.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »

I will be spending Lammas in Alaska with my youngest son !!!  We have been talking about doing something together.  A bale fire, food and simple ritual.  The next generation (my granddaughter) will also be there, her first pagan celebration, so thrilled it will be with Grandma !!!
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »

And who better to have her first celebration with? brilliant Arn sounds great to me.

Ashe: if you think my fire pit sounds cool, you should see Arn's outdoor fireplace..... now there's something to be jealous off.

Valerie

• Ash
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »

My favourite seasons are autumn and winter, I love to gather berries and hedgerow freebies x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x

Aunt Thora

• Cypress
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »

So happy for you Armemetia. 

I have no real favourite seasons.  There is something in each that appeals to me and something in each that doesn't;  and in each there seems to always be something for me to learn.  And I love that. 

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »

My husband announced to our VERY conservative Unitarian friends that our Pagan chapter was planning a harvest festival, and they are all welcome.  Being a natural  born smartass he assured them with a straight face that no lottery will be held this year. Only a few giggled.  The Chair wanted assurance that the lottery not be held on UU property but the Methodists might be available next year.  We still don't know if he was being a smartass or not.  You can never tell with those Unitarians...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:05:08 PM by Ashe Isadora »

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »

Arn you lucky grandma! I always enjoy harvest and it's not the seasonal changes, it's the food. Although the hot weather does get
tiresome and I am looking forward to the cool of autumn....it's a time I do think upon the past and how quickly the wheel turns.

I will celebrate with bread and apples under the stars.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »

I have no real favourite seasons.  There is something in each that appeals to me and something in each that doesn't;  and in each there seems to always be something for me to learn.  And I love that.

I wish I felt like you, Aunt Thora.  I love the summer months with the warm days and nights, all the lush greenery and flowers.  I mourn its passing every year. 

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »

I'm with Questa on this one, I love the Summer months. The warmer weather, the lighter nights, the windows open 24/7. I get very quickly fed up with the bluebottles though, can't stand those buggers! Not a fan of Winter.

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »

Growing up, my favorite season was Autumn. Love watching the leave turn colors the falling off. The cooler weather was also nice. Living in California, there's only two season, warm and hotter than hell.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »

You forgot hotter than hell and smoggy.  I grew up in Orange County.  I don't miss the 405 freeway at all, or Downtown LA at peak commuter time, which is always...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up