Welcome, Guest
August 20, 2018, 04:51:48 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Dieties  (Read 1650 times)

Augadelume

• Orange
Question about Dieties
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

Ok I have been reading and studying and the more I do I come to the conclusion that all of the Deities are all different parts of a whole Divine all the Gods are the total and sum of the male aspect of the Divine and all the Goddesses are the total and sum of the female aspect of the Divine and when the Male and Female aspects join and make a whole that makes the whole Divine. That is what I can make sense of if this is not true please help me understand better I am still learning and trying to understand what I can. Thank you in advance and Blessed Be to all of you and may the Divine watch over and bless you all!!!

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: Question about Dieties
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »

Sort of.  To make the whole you need one of each.  The reason there are so many is that they are from all over the world. 
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Augadelume

• Orange
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »

So its basically different point of views of the same thing with different names to go along with it ?

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »

Sort of varies, yeah.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Augadelume

• Orange
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »

Gotcha so I may be just jumping to conclusions or be completely off but would that mean that you don't necessarily have to call on certain aspects you could just go straight to the Divine itself?
 Also are the different aspects ( Gods/Goddesses) there to make it easier to contact,for lack of the word I am looking for, the certain parts of the Divine that you are needing at the moment?

If this is redundant I am sorry I am truly trying to understand I just don't have anyone near me to talk to about all this.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »

Augdaluma, you are describing soft polytheism.  The belief that, as Dion Fortune said (and I'm paraphrasing) "All goddesses are one Goddess, All gods are one God, and there is one Initiator". Some people compare the deities to being many facets of a diamond or even a disco ball.

Not everyone is comfortable with soft polytheisim, to some (myself included) it's feels like thinly veiled monotheism.  It kind of illustrated that when you asked about going straight to the Divine itself.  Many hard polytheists see the gods as being separate, unique entities though some poly's also see a divine force behind them.  But still, they are as different from each other as you and I though we may share some parts of a divine force.

Ultimately how you perceive the gods is your call.  No right or wrong here, though we may personally defend our beliefs.There's room for both points of view in the Craft community, though I can't speak for other pagan traditions. It's never to my knowledge been divisive among pagans I know.

I'm glad the topic came up.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »

Gotcha so I may be just jumping to conclusions or be completely off but would that mean that you don't necessarily have to call on certain aspects you could just go straight to the Divine itself?
 Also are the different aspects ( Gods/Goddesses) there to make it easier to contact,for lack of the word I am looking for, the certain parts of the Divine that you are needing at the moment?

If this is redundant I am sorry I am truly trying to understand I just don't have anyone near me to talk to about all this.

You may be looking for the word correspondences; there are certain aspects associated with particular deities... they can also be thought of as archetypes in that sense.  You'll see the same thing in the Lesser Key of Solomon; there are many references to G-d, by names such as Adonai, El(singular), Elohim(plural), Shaddai.  G-d has no name, so I would think these are also archetypes.

It's similar in the Hindu belief systems Shaivism, Vaishnavism and Shaktism, each with it's respective primary and highest deity, Shiva, Vishnua and Shakti.  The rest of the individual pantheon members can be perceived to be archetypal in the same sense.

What's important is what they mean to you, though learning traditional correspondences will greatly enhance your knowledge base.  If a certain deity resonates with you, there is probably a reason... researching correspondences can be useful that way as well...
along with every word Ash said above...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Augadelume

• Orange
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »

Thank you all for your help I understand now  ;D

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:12 AM »

That Search function really is handy. ;) I keep finding little gems everywhere around here!
~There she weaves by night and day~
Pages: [1]   Go Up