Welcome, Guest
October 15, 2018, 06:57:29 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you see faces of the Goddess and the God in our culture today?  (Read 8507 times)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Do you see faces of the Goddess and the God in our culture today?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 05:00:41 PM »

I think it was on the History channel a few years back where they were tour churches from the medieval period . They were saying that any church that had stone work with the face of the Green Man donated that the site was once a Pagan place of worship .?
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »

It would certainly sound like something they might have done OG, using the Pagan site would strengthen their encouragement of the locals. One thing though would be, why would the people not take exception to the church building on their holy place? It's an interesting quandary.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »

The Bureau Of Spears Arrows and Swords , got their weapons from them  :-p
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »

FTD uses a stunning depiction of Mercury to denote travel and speed.  The Apollo moon landing.  All the planets in our solar system and numerous other celestial bodies are named for god/desses or characters from  classical mythology.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »

Symbols are everywhere all you have to do is open your eyes . Most of the times you will see them in plants , trees , rock outcrops . The more you open yourself to what is around you the more you will see .

What God/dess you call upon or believe in , it will not be just in images but look for names also .

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »

That's interesting you should say that OG, I have a stone wall at the back of my house, and at one part of it, if you look at it right, you will see that the way the stones happen to be, there is what looks like a Viking warrior. I'll try and find the picture I took of it and post it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 01:33:50 AM »

Is the stone wall made out of old recycled stones Drac ?.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 05:00:15 AM »

Decidedly not "of today", but certainly of interest in light of the direction of the topic.  Sorry if thei turns into a "derail"!  This site, BTW, provides a section called "Morbid Mondays".  I like that.  Turn-on by Prof. Cooney...

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/medieval-erotic-carvings-at-the-church-of-st-mary-and-st-david
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »

There is a small stand of trees where I often walk and there is one tree that stands out. It looks as tho there is a carving of the
God and Goddess on it, but it has formed naturally. I often sit under this tree and meditate. It is amazing that this image has
formed naturally without outside help. I feel safe when I am near this tree, it's very beautiful.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 06:54:37 AM »

There ya go OG, Odin.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »

I think D . that the second photo tells a tale , the dark shape at hi left eye looks like a Gorcrow eating the eye out of his dead head .

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »

LoL.... An interesting observation J.

Alces Alces

• Cypress
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:17 PM »

Hundreds, (if not thousands) of the images we see surrounding ALL of "The Holidays" are rife with Pagan imagery.

But isn't that where most of the contemporary holidays are rooted in anyway? Christians altered it to suit thier specifications, then become insulted when thier origin is mentioned.

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:44 AM »

The Statue of Liberty, with a halo of solar rays; is she some kind of Sun Goddess?

Then there's "Britannia", whose image once appeared on the reverse of old U.K. coins. She even wore Minerva's helmet....

Alchymist
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:15 AM »

Your right Alces , they stole the old Pagan places and perverted our religious ritual days .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up