Welcome, Guest
February 22, 2018, 02:55:35 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Priesthood  (Read 6068 times)

Amberhawk

• Rowan
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
Re: The Priesthood
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 06:19:03 AM »

That was were the misconception adds to the confusion. From older things I've read its the hedge between this world and the next, life and death, the physical life and what is beyond. A hedge witch rides that hedge between our world and the other side. But I think most witches regardless of what they did, likely lived on the outskirts anyway because of their nature that set them apart. They might have also worked with herbals as many people did, witch or not. But between knowing long time hedge witches and reading up on them, this is what my understanding is.
A witch who works with the plants would be the green or kitchen witch... or in older days a hearth witch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hedge referred to in the name, refers to the woodland border of the village. Rarely would people cross beyond these boundaries due to superstition, but the 'wise woman' would, knowing that this was where she would find the herbs and plants she needed for her healing potions etc. This was also why she lived close to the boundary or edge of the village.
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

Amberhawk

• Rowan
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 06:27:47 AM »

Anybody familiar with the Ritual of the Raven in association with the Hedge tradition?
Heard of it, but not terribly familiar. It involves cutting open a raven in a particular way, stuffing it with particular herbs. I don't have the stomach or mind for cutting into something I don't intend to eat so I passed it over.
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

Daughter of Danu

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • You must be the change!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »

I've always viewed the High Priest/Priestess as a Wiccan practice. It is not something I have come across in witchcraft other than casual references.  When I have actually done any type of ritual or circle work with others, it was a shared leadership with more than one person taking point.

It may have as much to do with my lapsed Catholic background as anything but I have never worked well with a High Priest/Priestess.  Other than a teaching situation, I just do not feel anyone should feel they are superior to the rest who may be a part of the group or just participating.  To my idea, that is what I have seen of High Priests/Priestesses.  Power freaks with serious control issues have been the general personality type of the ones I have met and worked with over the years.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »

In Wicca, the "one better than others" doesn't apply.  A more egalitarian approach, "first among equals" is a more apt phrase.  The titles, as they are applied, are decided by the amount of wisdom and dedication of the parties involved AND the vox populi.

I, too, was born Roman Catholic.  I have no issues with what I was vs. what I am.  That was then, this is now.  As well, I am a product of Catholic schooling AND still have ties to quite a bit of Catholic, (of various stripe), clergy and academics.  I have no more distaste for any of them than I do for ministers of any other Christian denomination or the rabbis, rebbes, cantors among the Jews or monks among the Buddhists or any other clergy / dedicant.

We hear, at TCC, many, many people with "trust" or other "issues" with most mainstream religions, (especially ones they've LEFT), some "get over it" and some don't.

How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »

With all due respect DoD, I think you are being unfair to tarnish all HP's and HPS's with the same tarred brush. I understand you may have been faced with this in the past, gleaned from a Catholic background, but I don't think you'll find the same thing prevalent within properly established and traditional Covens.

It's not a case of anyone being superior, but more to do with perhaps more experience and time under their belts. We all learn from those with more experience and knowledge than us, and there is nothing wrong with giving recognition to those who have done the work they have, to get where they are.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Daughter of Danu

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »

In Wicca, the "one better than others" doesn't apply.  A more egalitarian approach, "first among equals" is a more apt phrase.  The titles, as they are applied, are decided by the amount of wisdom and dedication of the parties involved AND the vox populi.

I, too, was born Roman Catholic.  I have no issues with what I was vs. what I am.  That was then, this is now.  As well, I am a product of Catholic schooling AND still have ties to quite a bit of Catholic, (of various stripe), clergy and academics.  I have no more distaste for any of them than I do for ministers of any other Christian denomination or the rabbis, rebbes, cantors among the Jews or monks among the Buddhists or any other clergy / dedicant.

We hear, at TCC, many, many people with "trust" or other "issues" with most mainstream religions, (especially ones they've LEFT), some "get over it" and some don't.

I think I've moved well past my roots.  And as I said.....
To my idea, that is what I have seen of High Priests/Priestesses.  Power freaks with serious control issues have been the general personality type of the ones I have met and worked with over the years.
Key words there are To my idea, that is what I have seen. 

With all due respect DoD, I think you are being unfair to tarnish all HP's and HPS's with the same tarred brush. I understand you may have been faced with this in the past, gleaned from a Catholic background, but I don't think you'll find the same thing prevalent within properly established and traditional Covens.

It's not a case of anyone being superior, but more to do with perhaps more experience and time under their belts. We all learn from those with more experience and knowledge than us, and there is nothing wrong with giving recognition to those who have done the work they have, to get where they are.

LMAO I haven't stepped foot in a catholic church since my first communion.  I have worked with many HPs over the years in three different covens.  My opinions are not nor ever will be based on anything other than my own personal experience.

I must have missed the you have to be nice or keep your mouth shut part of the introduction booklet? I read the initial post and responded with my opinion.  If I made someone mad or hurt someone's feelings I will certainly apologize as I didn't intend to. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

LoL... You certainly haven't offended me DoD, I'm a solitary  ;) and not Wiccan either. If you are basing on your own experiences with Coven folks, then fair enough but I would say you've had an unfortunate run of HP's and HPS's. I always got the impression they weren't that way except for the rare few (I could be wrong :o ).

As with real life, this forum is made up of folks from all walks of life; of course you'll offend someone at sometime, it's just life. Same as at some point someone may offend you. The secret is what you do with it. You'll also find that, because we've had problem people here in the past, some can get defensive until they get to know you better.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »

Of course this topic is in Wicca Q&A, so one would expect opinions of all kinds. On TCC tolerance to all religions is a greatly
appreciated condition. To be otherwise is robbing ourselves of knowledge we may in the future require.

Many paths practice witchcraft. But I do not consider witchcraft to be a religion in itself, but it blends well with Wicca. Many
do not care for religion, which is fine if it suits the person. Many paths twist and turn in the seeking. There is nothing wrong
with being open to the fact that there will always be someone more experienced than us.

DoD It is sad that you have had not so pleasant experiences, hope that will improve in the future.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Daughter of Danu

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »

It really doesn't bother me, I never did too well with rules, regulations, time requirements and procedures.

It's why I never really could stay with any one coven. 

I'm more of a "lone wolf" type.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »

I'm more of a "lone wolf" type.

Many of us are... 8)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »

Firesong , I take it you are referring to the Welsh Hedge Ritual , no a good thing to do . Blood rituals are very dangerous even for those who have done them before . For one think that few people don't think about when doing them is if the animal is sacred to a God/dess . Taking the life of anything for ones own glory is the act of a fool . These are the type of people who care only for their own power and will harm any that try and hinder them from their goal .

The main tenant of the ritual is that you have the right to travel between the worlds . This is a gift no a right . Right must be earned not taking because one thinks they should have what they want , not something they have worked hard for . The reward you have earn is so much sweeter then one you forcefully take .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »

I don't consider myself offended, either.  It was merely an "observation/response" thing for me.  We've already, (many times), covered the 14 YOs. "starting out" and we have had the 40-60 YOs, as well..."just starting out".  16 YOs raised in a Craft family and 55 YOs moving into/out of/crosswise from one path to another...(heck, I came here at just a little older than that!).

Have we "seen it all".  Of course not.  But we have seen enough to consider our forum to be an excellent place for the exchange of ideas.  Mostly, you'd be pressed to find all that many people that take offense to one thing or another.  Oh, the odd personal bite, yes, but widespread issues?  Nah. 

We have had people bash one path or another, (from both sides of the coin), and others defend their paths.  We have flogged the "labels" and "paths" and "orthodoxy" and "eclectic" issues for so long there are nigh no horses left. 

Since I "consider" myself a priest of the Orthodoxy of Wicca, I feel a certain..vested interest", (If any of you CAUGHT the pun, it wasn't intended), to defend MY path on a site that is, after all, called "wicca DOT com".  But, as has been said...ALL paths are not only welcome here but encouraged to join in the conversations.  I realize, (having been on the web since there was a web), all of the "lost nuance that can happen.  I also, many times, am less than clear about when i am speaking directly vs. generally.

But I hope you see that we have our ways and they include your ways.  We hope.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »

Dod,

You've not offended me either.  I am sorry your experience has been as you've described.   It's possible you just had a run of bad luck picking a  coven.  Welcome to TCC.  :)
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Daughter of Danu

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »

Not all blood rituals require a literal death.  Many only need a symbolic death or just blood period. 

People get all OMG over blood rituals and death rituals but don't think twice about slicing herbs out of their garden or stomping a spider.  As I fall into the second category I have spent a few years researching blood rituals and blood magic.

Back to topic, the hedgewitch ritual I think you are talking about can be done with a combination of virgin blood, crone blood and a drop of dead blood which you can get from a steak you bought in a store. Goddess knows they are as cruel as can be when they slaughter the poor animals, I would qualify it as a violent death.  Virgin blood?  Find a kid with a bloody nose and freeze the cotton balls.  Same with blood from a scratch or cut. Old people bleed, hell I bleed from the slightest scratch.  Add the feathers of a raven and the herbs in bundle.  You can use any bird as a representation.  As the combination of herbs is toxic I wouldn't roast and eat it for dinner after but chicken is fairly cheap. You don't have to kill the bird, use roadkill if you have it as an option.

Though why you would go thru all of this when if you ask properly a crow will fly you over without blood or sacrifice or anything gross is beyond me.  Or you can astral but that is a pain unless you can fly well which I can't. Or you could munch some peyote and go the vision route.  Christianity frowns on it.  This is all if you don't have the patience to wait for Samhain.

Sorry, I might have mentioned I've spent a number of years studying and you have to just try some stuff the same way you'd jump off a cliff into the ocean.  There are just some things you have to do. But yeah, it makes me a wealth of random stuff for not much use to more than a handful of people.  HA HA.

Carry on, I will try very hard not to tangent often.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

All good answers. 

I have no issue with blood rites.  at all.  PROVIDED....

Myself, I prefer to hunt my own meat, (The Sacred Hunt), in such a way that I and my prey are one.  Humane, clean, quick and reverent.  Life to life, Spirit to Spirit.

When I have need of more than i can provide, I frequent LOCAL people whom I KNOW to be reverent in the same way.  Okay, once in a while, but NEVER without a good kasher.

Your "virgin blood" ideas are well spoken, too.  been doing just that for some time.

Other than that...I know you, don't I?  Another region?  Another website?  Another city?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up