Welcome, Guest
June 23, 2018, 08:35:19 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hedge or Grove?  (Read 2378 times)

Peridot

• Rowan
  • Feather-brained and fabulous.
Hedge or Grove?
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

I've been trying to build up the courage to ask this for a while, so forgive me if I ramble.  ::)

I have been doing a lot of reading and digging into Druidry and I have (for lack of a better phrase) found a home there. There is a lot left for me to learn, and I want to pursue my education/journey in the best way possible.

Recently I was looking into the various druid organizations (OBOD, ADF, AODA, etc.) and the financial investment makes me a tad nervous. Has anyone had any experience with the courses and are they a worthwhile investment? Is becoming a member of a grove (or joining any religious order) such a vastly different source of information than what can be learned independently? Do I need to join a grove or organization to consider myself a druid?

I would appreciate any input the wonderful folks of TCC can offer. Thank you! :)
"May my words, like baby vegetables, be tender and sweet; for I may have to eat them tomorrow."

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: Hedge or Grove?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »

I've been trying to build up the courage to ask this for a while, so forgive me if I ramble.  ::)

I have been doing a lot of reading and digging into Druidry and I have (for lack of a better phrase) found a home there. There is a lot left for me to learn, and I want to pursue my education/journey in the best way possible.

Recently I was looking into the various druid organizations (OBOD, ADF, AODA, etc.) and the financial investment makes me a tad nervous. Has anyone had any experience with the courses and are they a worthwhile investment? Is becoming a member of a grove (or joining any religious order) such a vastly different source of information than what can be learned independently? Do I need to join a grove or organization to consider myself a druid?

I would appreciate any input the wonderful folks of TCC can offer. Thank you! :)

1)  No worries.  I do it all the time.

2)  Good for you, in all the ways you mention and more.

3)  "You get what you pay for"  is sometimes abused by other "witch academies".  The mainline organizations you mentioned are legitimate.  Only you can determine the "worthwhile" part.

4)  I have.  I did a funeral for a Druid a few years ago and had to be in touch with an american Arch Druid and an English Arch Druid as to what to do with his kit.  They were helpful, but very insistant and very specific.

5)  Yes, it is.

6)  No, you don't.  People do it all the time.  But, (think for a second on the way I'm saying this), people do it with Wicca all the time, too.

How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »

Peridot , you can be trained by one or many I was trained by my Grandfather and his cousin in the Welsh tradition . Anything you need as tools , robe pouches can be made . You can study by yourself and get a greater understanding .

Here are a few books that you should read to start out on your journey .

" The Veil of Isis : Mysteries of the Druids " by William Winwood Reade . This book is from the 1860's so you will have to find a reprint from 1992 . On all this books check you library before you spent the money to by them .

"The Druids : Celtic priest of Nature " Jean Markale .

" The Path Of Druidry : Walking the Ancient Green Way's " Penny Billington .

Be weary of online classes . If you go that way check them out first and make sure they are legit . There are a few book that help in teaching you but the are like a text books with labs and take a year to go through .

If I casn be of any help let me know .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Peridot

• Rowan
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »

" The Veil of Isis : Mysteries of the Druids " by William Winwood Reade . This book is from the 1860's so you will have to find a reprint from 1992 . On all this books check you library before you spent the money to by them .

"The Druids : Celtic priest of Nature " Jean Markale .

" The Path Of Druidry : Walking the Ancient Green Way's " Penny Billington .

"The Veil of Isis" has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while. After I finish my current book (tonight, if I have my way) I'll dig into it.

"The Druids" I also have waiting for me. I'm trying to get through Markale's "The Celts" first, but it's a very dry and detail heavy read. I have the feeling I will have to read it again to really start absorbing all the information. Is it necessary to finish "The Celts" first to understand "The Druids"?

"The Path of Druidry" is a new one! I'll look for it in my library! :D

Thank you so much!
"May my words, like baby vegetables, be tender and sweet; for I may have to eat them tomorrow."

Peridot

• Rowan
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 04:28:21 PM »

1)  No worries.  I do it all the time.

2)  Good for you, in all the ways you mention and more.

3)  "You get what you pay for"  is sometimes abused by other "witch academies".  The mainline organizations you mentioned are legitimate.  Only you can determine the "worthwhile" part.

4)  I have.  I did a funeral for a Druid a few years ago and had to be in touch with an american Arch Druid and an English Arch Druid as to what to do with his kit.  They were helpful, but very insistant and very specific.

5)  Yes, it is.

6)  No, you don't.  People do it all the time.  But, (think for a second on the way I'm saying this), people do it with Wicca all the time, too.

Thank you so much C_A!

3) Whew, that's a relief. I've been debating joining the OBOD, but I've been holding back. It's in my nature to be anxious and paranoid, and I wanted to be absolutely certain that everything was legitimate.

5) Those are probably the most exciting italics I've seen.

6) I roomed with a "Wiccan High Priestess" for a month or so last year... It was enlightening in the worst way... I really want to avoid becoming a "Druid".

It will probably take me a while before I make a move, but I now have 3 more books to read to help pass the time (thanks to og)!

I can't thank you both enough. :)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

Well here's 3 more  :-p :-p.

" Celtic Bards Celtic Druids " R.J. Steward  kind of like history book .

" The Druids " Peter Berresford Ellis  , history like .

" The Philosopher & The Druids : a journey among the Celt's " Philip Freeman . history .

Enjoy , remember if you do not seek then you will not find ...................
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Peridot

• Rowan
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »

Well here's 3 more  :-p :-p.

" Celtic Bards Celtic Druids " R.J. Steward  kind of like history book .

" The Druids " Peter Berresford Ellis  , history like .

" The Philosopher & The Druids : a journey among the Celt's " Philip Freeman . history .

Enjoy , remember if you do not seek then you will not find ...................

I've read Ellis' "The Druids"! It was very good! His collection of Celtic myths and legends is also wonderful!

More books=paradise. :)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »

This is a book you should read and don't let the title fool you it is about Druidism .

John Matthews " Taliesin : the last Celtic Shaman " is history .

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »

I have been reading "Traditional Witchcraft for Fields and Hedgerows" by Melusine Draco. You might be interested in it. It
is a free e-book on amazon.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »

FWIW...

Her "nom de plume" carries several translative errors.  ("Song of the Dragon"?  Melody of the Dragon"?  "Fart of the Dragon"? ).  Leading me to believe her to be an "auteur".  I WILL research this and get back to you, but, while most of the time, there is good information to be had, (a blind hog and acorns or a broken clock analogy here), there is also a lot of...well...LESS THAN good info.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »

Ok thanks C_A.

What do you seek?

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »

Peridot I believe C_A to be right about his thoughts on the book I have been reading. It is mostly history and folklore that was most likely found elsewhere. Sorry about that hunn. Probably not a good choice  for ya.

BB

What do you seek?

Peridot

• Rowan
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »

It's alright! There is nothing to apologize for!

I appreciate your response and consideration! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up