Welcome, Guest
February 23, 2018, 05:51:19 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you judge others based on their religious jewelry?  (Read 1416 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Do you judge others based on their religious jewelry?
« on: June 20, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

A member briefly raised a question that I thought would make a great discussion.  We post often about whether we do or don't wear pagan jewelry, and why. But what I rarely see are posts about how we ourselves react to other people's religious jewelry or attire.

If you see someone wearing a hubcap size pentacle (or Thor's hammer, or labrys, for example), does that affect the way you perceive them? 

How about a cross?  Does that change your comfort level around that person negatively, or maybe positively?

Any other thoughts???  And thank you, Valerie.  Your recent post inspired me to start this topic.
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Do you judge others based on their religious jewelry?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:20:14 PM »

It's possible I don't even notice what others might be wearing. I don't believe that changes anything about the way I might feel
about someone. Our jewelry can reflect who we are, religious symbols are not worn to irritate others. I wear my pentacle all the
time and I have never had anyone act in a negative way to it. I have been complemented on how pretty it is. I sometimes wear an
ankh and most people simply recognize it as a cross. If asked about it I am honest about what it is.

I believe these symbols to be very personal. So why should I feel negatively about someone wearing a cross?  Or any other jewelry
they might enjoy wearing?
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Valerie

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »

I would love to think I don't judge but am sure I do..I do have a couple of pentacles one is on a very busy bracelet, so I hope not too obvious, and the other is on a bag, a chain again with other charms, my other half (o.h) bought me a little gold cross that I do wear but my very favourite is a tree of life x
Am on a few witchy sites on FB and folk seem obsessed with wearing and tattoos mainly of pentacles..perhaps that's colouring me x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »

Do I "judge" them?  Yes.  But I think all of us do, to some extent.

I believe that I can see a pentacle when EVER it is present.  From a ring or an earring or on a "busy" bracelet.  I think it IS something that people don't notice, but for some reason, I always do.  Same goes for any symbol...

But when I see someone with three or four and at least one of them is a "dinner plate" I DO get a little...well...I can't really explain it but I have a tendency to button up my shirt a little higher.  To be fair, I do the same thing for a Magen Duvid, a cross, an Om.  The only difference is when it is a symbol attached to an obviously devoted or vowed religious person, say, a nun or a monk.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »

I suppose I do judge.  When someone is wearing a cross I assume they follow a Christian path.  The kid with the "dinner plate" I assume is either finding his way or likes the shock value.  Like CA, I notice symbols.   
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »

Based on jewellery? I don't think I do; at least not that I am aware of. However, like C_A I do notice a Pentacle or a Mjolnir, or even a Triquetra. Unless it's something ostentatious, I don't really notice otherwise. In that case my judgement is more "Wow! overdoing it a little aren't we?" LoL  ;D ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Twixt

• Fir
  • Not all who wander are lost
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »

I grew up around a lot of people that wore some kind of Celtic symbol or jewelry and even a few that wore a Thor's Hammer. I tend to notice those, especially if they're pretty and I might comment. I honestly don't think about the religious connotations of the more Pagan symbols. However, I do tend to look askance at someone if they are decked out in them; my experience has been that those people who go overboard in their jewelry are a little nutty. And the same holds true for those with crosses or other Christian symbols. Having a crucifix the size of a small child hanging from your neck makes me wonder what that person is compensating for...
Save the Earth!! It's the only planet with chocolate!!

Live well, laugh often, love much.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »

I tend to be fairly non judgemental about people who wear splashy pagan bling.  I recall being so totally blissed out when I first found Wicca that I went a little overboard sometimes. And bling is FUN.  So personally :D I figure they're going through "that phase" of wide eyed wonder.  Who knows, they may mature into an interesting Pagan

Or maybe not  :'(. But I'm ever the optimist.
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

Alces Alces

• Cypress
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:03:10 AM »

I think that if you define judge as meaning forming an opinion, then yes I do judge. Not necessarily adversely, but I do take those little cues and it tells me a little bit about the person. I too am a little uncomfortable with people who go overboard with the "bling" (although I never considered the phase aspect of it  :) ). I do feel a bit ill at ease though with the overboard thing because I do wonder if they're they're all show and no substance.  The jewelry doesnt always have to be religious. The crystal I wear has prompted questions regarding my beliefs.

So yes I do judge people on how they represent themselves through jewelry or attire, as a means of understanding them. Once I understand who that person is I will make an effort to behave respectfully regarding those beliefs, whether I agree with them or not.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

It's part of the human condition to judge/form opinion, whether its based on adornments, attire or general appearance, whatever. It speaks of a time where making that assessment was part of the survival instinct, your judgement came from deciding whether you were faced with friend or foe, predator or prey. It's stayed with us but we perceive differently now, not whether to fight or flee, but whether we can associate with the individual/s before us, or whether we should expect trouble, ridicule, offence, or any number of other things, as well as deciding if the individual may share similar likes and beliefs in the case of religious/spiritual jewellery.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »

It makes no difference to me how someone wants to express themselves with jewelry.  Live and let live.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »

Just me but if I see someone with a hubcap size pentacle I just laugh . I have seen people wear large pentacles and did ask one what it was , her answer was the Pentagon ; so there you go . Attention is what they want I did met a young lady that had a nice Pentacle tattooed between her breast . People with crosses do not offend , in a way I guess I feel sorry for them . To me a closed mind is a dead mind . But still would pick them up if they were down .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1]   Go Up